What's new

Possible EVO MKXL Side Tournament - By Pig & Co

Should a % Of the Raised Funds be Donated to the Charity?

• Yes

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters
Just need to quickly chime in on what I meant by donating to the lineup cause too.

I am 100% down for this side event and will be donating towards the pot. However, the reason Mustard and I suggested the idea of perhaps taking some of the proceeds and donating it towards the EVO Charity cause has multiple reasons behind it. All of which are good intentions IMO.

Allow me to list some of them:

1. "We don't need to donate any money to the EVO lineup charity because every other scene is already doing it" looks dreadful on us as a community.

2. We also must consider that the EVO staff could be reluctant to let us use any of their facilities for this side event if we completely ignore why they're putting the voted games in the list and just do our own thing. It's naive to expect them to let us use EVO as the venue for this important side event but give them nothing for it.

3. An extension of point 2, but I can see there being potential complications if we still raise money for MK, but basically turn round and say "Yeah we put nothing towards your MKX funding, but we'd still like to use your venue!" We all care about EVO because of how it's brought the FGC together, but we still need to show that we care about why the donation system is the way it is, and that we can still be a compassionate community that appreciates MKX even being in that list to begin with.

Donating any amount of community funding as a nod to say "Thank you EVO, but please understand we had to raise our own pot so that MKX could exist in this years finals as a side tournament".

I personally haven't donated towards MK in the lineup because I am content with Injustice 2. I would much rather we have a game to call our own already in there, and give the final slot to another dedicated community that would otherwise not make EVO if their game doesn't make it. Doing the side tournament this way means everyone gets the best of both worlds. We still get to play MK and another scene still gets to go to EVO for the game they love.

I get what some of you guys are saying. Just wanted to give you all some context behind what I think.
You made me change my vote

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Just need to quickly chime in on what I meant by donating to the lineup cause too.

I am 100% down for this side event and will be donating towards the pot. However, the reason Mustard and I suggested the idea of perhaps taking some of the proceeds and donating it towards the EVO Charity cause has multiple reasons behind it. All of which are good intentions IMO.

1. "We don't need to donate any money to the EVO lineup charity because every other scene is already doing it" looks dreadful on us as a community.

2. We also must consider that the EVO staff could be reluctant to let us use any of their facilities for this side event if we completely ignore why they're putting the voted games in the list and just do our own thing. It's naive to expect them to let us use EVO as the venue for this important side event but give them nothing for it.

3. An extension of point 2, but I can see there being potential complications if we still raise money for MK, but basically turn round and say "Yeah we put nothing towards your MKX funding, but we'd still like to use your venue!" We all care about EVO because of how it's brought the FGC together, but we still need to show that we care about why the donation system is the way it is, and that we can still be a compassionate community that appreciates MKX even being in that list to begin with.

Donating any amount of community funding as a nod to say "Thank you EVO, but please understand we had to raise our own pot so that MKX could exist in this years finals as a side tournament".

I personally haven't donated towards MK in the lineup because I am content with Injustice 2. I would much rather we have a game to call our own already in there, and give the final slot to another dedicated community that would otherwise not make EVO if their game doesn't make it. Doing the side tournament this way means everyone gets the best of both worlds. We still get to play MK and another scene still gets to go to EVO for the game they love.

I get what some of you guys are saying. Just wanted to give you all some context behind what I think.
Again, happy for some of the money to be donated, but I don't think it's fair to take it from the money dedicated towards the pot bonus. Charge an entrance fee and make the entrants essentially pay for the donation. It might seem a bit redundant, but the distinction between the source of the income for the donation is important.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Again, happy for some of the money to be donated, but I don't think it's fair to take it from the money dedicated towards the pot bonus. Charge an entrance fee and make the entrants essentially pay for the donation. It might seem a bit redundant, but the distinction between the source of the income for the donation is important.
While entrance fee is a good idea, it will be long after the donation period has ended.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Keep the discussion, questions and thoughts coming. I'm listening and considering all.

I also really like what Ketchup had to say and could see major backlash if we choose to be the only scene not to contribute to charity.

Can I get people's opinions on the following "POTENTIAL" scenario?

$10 entry fee
$3 goes to charity
$7 goes to pot
All donations 100% go to pot only

Example:
150 players
$1,050 pot from entries alone
$450 to charity

Thoughts?

Also I have many many plans I want to look into in terms of coverage and networking. I plan to do this righ

More details soon

My appearance at Evo is uncertain just because of finance though I have the time off cleared. If I'm able to make it then I'll be a member of the "Co" to assist any way I can. Otherwise I'll make promotion and awareness one of my higher priorities

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Side games have always been at EVO. They're free, and we definitely don't need to bribe or pay off the Cannons for the privilege of having a side tournament. The donations are going toward a main game, and should be considered as such.

If people just want to donate to charity, that's admirable -- but they definitely shouldn't be doing it as some sort of motivator to get what's been at EVO every year anyway.

The more we donate to our pot, the more coverage this will get, which in turn brings positive press to EVO.

I think if any compromise is made, maybe the one Pig suggested is best, but the donations should go to support our community and the prize pool.

P.S. I'm willing to make stream graphics again, but Piglet I need to teach you guys how to use them this time, haha. Maybe we do a test stream a couple weeks before and get the layouts together so it looks nice.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Side games have always been at EVO. They're free, and we definitely don't need to bribe or pay off the Cannons for the privilege of having a side tournament. The donations are going toward a main game, and should be considered as such.

If people just want to donate to charity, that's admirable -- but they definitely shouldn't be doing it as some sort of motivator to get what's been at EVO every year anyway.

The more we donate to our pot, the more coverage this will get, which in turn brings positive press to EVO.

I think if any compromise is made, maybe the one Pig suggested is best, but the donations should go to support our community and the prize pool.

P.S. I'm willing to make stream graphics again, but Piglet I need to teach you guys how to use them this time, haha. Maybe we do a test stream a couple weeks before and get the layouts together so it looks nice.
Bro you can't wait for me to land in Vegas and then send me GFX 10 mins before my inj pool lol

Yooooooooooooooooooo

But yea definitely a test stream

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

MasterBelmont

Aspiring competitive MKXL/MVCI player from Oregon
I will most definitely donate and really want this to be a thing.

Also, I don't agree with this being MKX's "sendoff". I won't stop playing the game because I'm too into it and have gotten good at it, and it's time to break the NRS cycle (hope others share my mentality).

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Bro you can't wait for me to land in Vegas and then send me GFX 10 mins before my inj pool lol

Yooooooooooooooooooo

But yea definitely a test stream

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Hahaha

Yeah, I got you a couple weeks before

I know Furby streamed Top 8 last time, any idea who you'd grab to do it this time?

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I just remember Art waking up like an hour after the scheduled stream time like "Yo Crim ullllllll I just woke up (monsters) gotta eat breakfast upload Anime and get these laptop donations then I'll head to the venue"

Last edited:

portent

Noob
I can't attend EVO, but I have my 2 cents to add.

Even though the MKX donation isn't going well, and the side tournament is looking like a better idea, I still believe that a charitable donation towards the EVO make a wish fund is a great idea.

If we are already mailing it in that we aren't going to pursue the event as a main game, then why not simply go at it with the mindset of "We're coming to EVO anyway, and we have charity money for you!" The charitable donation isn't a buy off, or some kind of bribe, it's just the nice thing to do. Why not do the nice and the right thing, and STILL do our thing regardless?

Slymind

Noob
I will most definitely donate and really want this to be a thing.

Also, I don't agree with this being MKX's "sendoff". I won't stop playing the game because I'm too into it and have gotten good at it, and it's time to break the NRS cycle (hope others share my mentality).
Damm straight, i love watching MKX, to let it die specially after a patch that imo made the game so much better will be a shame. Both games could coexist imo.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"

I'm just going to go out and say that the fact you worded my suggestion as a "bribe" is absolutely ridiculous.

Do you really think that's what I meant by that? Could you have missed my point any harder?