What's new

Possible EVO MKXL Side Tournament - By Pig & Co

Should a % Of the Raised Funds be Donated to the Charity?

• Yes

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters

MKX is not going to win the Donation Drive at the rate we're going. It's an outcome we've essentially got to accept at this point. However that doesn't mean that MKX cannot appear at Evo. Maybe seen by a few but buried by complaints and debating this deserves it's own separate discussion thread.

@Pig Of The Hut offered to step up and assist in putting together a Side Tournament for Evo. This generous of a gesture should not be overlooked or under valued by the community.

To make this happen as the image indicates you need to let Pig know that it's important. However there is a second step as well, the pot for the tournament is suggested to be Community funded which means in addition to just saying yes we want a tournament, we also must contribute to the prize pot. I'm sure Pig also wouldn't mind having people volunteer to help as this could be a monumental task for 1 person.

This is potentially the last chance for the community to have an Evo presence and give MKX it's send off.

What say you, the community?

It would also be nice if this was Stickied, Articled, or whatnot to bring as much attention to the possibility as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
In talking to the Twins it was suggested that even if we go through with this that a portion of the raised funds be applied to the Charity regardless.

As this Pot will essentially be community funded it's important that we see what you would think of this decision. There is no proposed percentage yet but we are interested to see how you all would feel about this.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
In talking to the Twins it was suggested that even if we go through with this that a portion of the raised funds be applied to the Charity regardless.

As this Pot will essentially be community funded it's important that we see what you would think of this decision. There is no proposed percentage yet but we are interested to see how you all would feel about this.
I mean, it's not like there isn't already a massive donation drive going on already for the charity. Also, people who donate to MKX being the 9th game are essentially just donating freely anyways since MK doesn't stand a chance of making it as the final game.

I'd feel more comfortable if some of the entry fee to the side tournament was donated to the charity, rather than the money raised by the community meant to be the pot bonus. Charge a $5-10 entry fee and donate some of that to the charity instead, with the remainder covering the cost to run the actual tournament.

Call me a Scrooge or whatever, but if I'm donating money towards a pot bonus, I want it to go towards the pot bonus.

Skedar70

Noob

I don't think that is a good idea. The charity is going to raise good money from the other games that actually have a chance plus what we already donated for mkx.

If you divide the money instead of focusing it on making the side tournament good, we will fail. Lets focus on making this side tournament good and worth it.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Just need to quickly chime in on what I meant by donating to the lineup cause too.

I am 100% down for this side event and will be donating towards the pot. However, the reason Mustard and I suggested the idea of perhaps taking some of the proceeds and donating it towards the EVO Charity cause has multiple reasons behind it. All of which are good intentions IMO.

Allow me to list some of them:

1. "We don't need to donate any money to the EVO lineup charity because every other scene is already doing it" looks dreadful on us as a community.

2. We also must consider that the EVO staff could be reluctant to let us use any of their facilities for this side event if we completely ignore why they're putting the voted games in the list and just do our own thing. It's naive to expect them to let us use EVO as the venue for this important side event but give them nothing for it.

3. An extension of point 2, but I can see there being potential complications if we still raise money for MK, but basically turn round and say "Yeah we put nothing towards your MKX funding, but we'd still like to use your venue!" We all care about EVO because of how it's brought the FGC together, but we still need to show that we care about why the donation system is the way it is, and that we can still be a compassionate community that appreciates MKX even being in that list to begin with.

Donating any amount of community funding as a nod to say "Thank you EVO, but please understand we had to raise our own pot so that MKX could exist in this years finals as a side tournament".

I personally haven't donated towards MK in the lineup because I am content with Injustice 2. I would much rather we have a game to call our own already in there, and give the final slot to another dedicated community that would otherwise not make EVO if their game doesn't make it. Doing the side tournament this way means everyone gets the best of both worlds. We still get to play MK and another scene still gets to go to EVO for the game they love.

I get what some of you guys are saying. Just wanted to give you all some context behind what I think.

Matix218

Get over here!
We should just make this side tournament count within our community as 2017 EVO for MKX. Who cares if EVO acknowledges it as a main game or not IMO. There can still be a 2017 MKX EVO champion if we as a community decide in advance to acknowledge the results of this side tournament as such.

@Pig Of The Hut do you agree? We (the community) are the ones who should decide what counts IMO like we did when we considered that original KiT for igau a major when it wasnt considered one at the time (based on the numbers and level of competition that was present)