What's new

Positive Things About MKX Thread

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Bringing Kotal Khan to the MK universe is the one redeeming factor of MKX imo, Other than that am glad nobody is ever gonna miss mkx or wish it lived longer. at least no where near how we all feel when we look back at MK9.

JDM

Noob
Honestly. The main thing I loved about MKX was Predator. They ruined reptile for me, I didn't care for the roster too much, new characters were cool but none really sucked me in besides Erron Black.

Predator though. Such a fun character. The run system took away a lot of the fun he gave me but still, he was really fun to play as. The fast gameplay was really fun too but more frustrating than fun for sure. Last patch was good but still needed a few fixes to be "great". They took too long fixing the game and it was unfortunate. I'm really excited for MK11 though.

I wanna weigh in on the sound fx discussion. My favourite one was shinnok's summon fiend, which made it one of the most satisfying moves to land.

Didnt like JC's nutpunch in mkx. I get what they were trying to do with the comically squishy sound of genitals being sacked but i thought the epic bass along with the battle cry in mk9 was way funnier.

But that way mightve not worked in mkx. The two games go for very different moods so their design has to match.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
One complaint I see a lot about MKX is that it has no “neutral”. I only partially agree with this.

MKX does have a neutral and it is quite good and fun imo. Even though it is really fast and has run button, I don’t think it is bad. What I think people really mean by “no neautral” is that it’s over so fast. Someone lands a hit and a lot of the cast having insane corner carry (one SZ combo takes you to the corner and ends in HKD), or a restand, or some kind of tough setplay or oki and boom the game is over. It has a neutral, it’s just short lived vs a lot of characters.

I think MKX without the run and maybe a little less reliance on setplay woulda been great. I don’t like it as much as I2 but I think MKX is fun, I think I love it because of Sub tbh

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
What I think people really mean by “no neautral” is that it’s over so fast.
This is basically exactly what it is. Once you get that tap, against a good chunk of characters you're probably going into hard knockdown into mix/oki. I didn't often see someone just reset the neutral in order to play the midscreen/fullscreen game.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Okay, so, what I liked about MKX...
- Most of the new characters were great. There's only one character I would just erase and a couple I don't care all that much about, but most of them were great! Both in design, gameplay and presentation. Takeda quickly became a top favourite of mine.
- Though I think Kung Jin's gameplay is a mess and his aesthetics are really dull, his character and personality is fantastic. Gay character done right.
- I like the pace of the gameplay. It's faster, but I could pull off the combos a lot easier this time around. A few things I'm not all that much a fan of, but overall, I liked it. Could be improved upon though.
- A lot of the character designs were just excellent! Kitana's main costume, Mileena's Kahnum costume, Ermac's main, Reptile's alt, Shinnok's alt, Quan Chi's main... For the first time in a long time I actually like Scorpion's costume. Sub-Zero's Revenant costume is just badass as fuck! And they finally made Kung Lao (human form) look right!
- Speaking of Scorpion, for the first time ever, I actually liked him as a character. His story with Kenshi and Takeda, building up the Shirai Ryu, finally getting his revenge and making peace with Sub-Zero... he's been my least liked character for so long, and NRS made me care about him. That's commendable.
- The story overall was nicely told, though the premise was kinda basic with the Kombat Kids and Shinnok... however, the whole Civil War thing in Outworld was really interesting and I hope we will get more of that in MK11.
- Tanya. Though I wish she was on the main roster, I love everything about her when she became DLC. I initially wanted her to be more sorceress-like, but I am very much a fan of what they did with her. I am also in love with the whole idea of her and Mileena being lovers, as hinted in their intro dialogues.
- The GGPO was a great update of the netcode which made it playable! And hopefully it will be even better in MK11.
- Rain, Fujin, Baraka, Sareena and Sindel all looked really awesome. Would've been more awesome to have them be playable though.
- The Fatalities were more creative! And I liked the new Brutalities, they were pretty cool.

I can see you guys don't like Kung Jin because of generic shaolin guy with leather armor and bow but admit that his weapon is pretty cool. Its a bow and a staff that has a dragon head that shoots fire. Gotta love the 'bonk' on every hit that matched the baseball bat-like style usage. The dragon head should've been incorporated better, instead of just an anti air thing, although it was hilarious if that actually hit someone. What if instead of doing a dumb twirl to enchant his arrows, he lit the arrow head with the dragon to make some sort of magical fire arrow?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I can see you guys don't like Kung Jin
I like him as a character, but to me it feels like his gameplay is just a mish-mash of moves, like NRS couldn't decide what to do with him. He's got a bow, he's got a staff, he's got a chakram... why does he need all these weapons? He would've been fine with JUST the bow, not only to shoot arrows, but also to hit with. It could have a special design to make it more fitting for melee attacks, but as it is now, it just looks big and clumsy. And the way he holds it is just weird, his stance just doesn't look like a fighting stance and he doesn't look like he's ready to use his weapon. It's just kinda dangling in front of him.

As for his design, it's rather dull, in my opinion. It's very... standard. I think they tried to make his design somewhat in the shape of the Monkey King legend, with the headband and such, but it's just brown on brown. Which is a problem with MKX overall though, as it has this brown filter over everything, making it all look so toned down. MK9 was beautiful and full of colours, Shang Tsung's Garden is one of the most beautiful stages in Mortal Kombat history, imo. For some reason it is lacking in MKX.

... sorry about the small rant here, I know this is a thread about positive things in MKX.
Do know though that I DO like Kung Jin! He has potential! I just wish his gameplay was more focused and his design was a bit more interesting.

I like him as a character, but to me it feels like his gameplay is just a mish-mash of moves, like NRS couldn't decide what to do with him. He's got a bow, he's got a staff, he's got a chakram... why does he need all these weapons? He would've been fine with JUST the bow, not only to shoot arrows, but also to hit with. It could have a special design to make it more fitting for melee attacks, but as it is now, it just looks big and clumsy. And the way he holds it is just weird, his stance just doesn't look like a fighting stance and he doesn't look like he's ready to use his weapon. It's just kinda dangling in front of him.

As for his design, it's rather dull, in my opinion. It's very... standard. I think they tried to make his design somewhat in the shape of the Monkey King legend, with the headband and such, but it's just brown on brown. Which is a problem with MKX overall though, as it has this brown filter over everything, making it all look so toned down. MK9 was beautiful and full of colours, Shang Tsung's Garden is one of the most beautiful stages in Mortal Kombat history, imo. For some reason it is lacking in MKX.

... sorry about the small rant here, I know this is a thread about positive things in MKX.
Do know though that I DO like Kung Jin! He has potential! I just wish his gameplay was more focused and his design was a bit more interesting.
I think his design was supposed to play off the variation system similar to how they made Takeda. At the base you have a bunch of different styles, then focus on one of them for each variation. So for Kung Jin, he had ancestral for bow and bojutsu for staff, then the third one is a wildcard like Takeda's ronin. Ronin actually works because he ditches the other stuff whereas Kung Jin is like why do you need the bow when you have a magical flying chakram and why do you need the staff if you can also use the chakram for melee (like 2,2,1)?

This is off topic but the variations were really hit and miss depending on what the characters allowed for. A hit would be someone like quan chi whose abilities are abstract, so you can have him do a whole bunch of different things in each variation. Then you have raiden whose abilities basically come down to 'can make lightning and teleport'. The result is you having one variation where the only new ability is teleport, one variation where makes more lightning than usual, and a weird gimmicky one. But you have to include raiden anyway because he's basically a staple character. Now it makes some sense that, despite Baraka, Sindel and Rain all having models, they didn't make the final cut. I think they wanted to include them but couldn't quite work three variations around them, nor wanted to force it like with some of the must include characters.