What's new

Poison Ivy Speculation Thread

Do you think Poison Ivy will be more of a Trap/Setup type or Mid range neutral type character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

myri

Time Warrior
I agree, I don't see a zoner at all... She does have some fullscreen options (one of them being her trait, which has a cooldown and goes away when she gets hit) that are good but she doesn't seem like a zoner at all to me, she looks kinda like a jack of all trades, master of none kinf of character... Which isn't bad because those characters usually end up being pretty balanced. I can see her shining in the set-up department but we would have to wait and see her actual set-ups.

Something that I've been thinking about a lot is that she doesn't seem to have a wake-up attack at all.
Pretty much what I was thinking, she has a little bit of everything but isn't really centred around one archetype. It could be interesting though since this would really allow us to change up our playstyle mid match without too much difficulty, where as someone who is playing Deadshot pretty much has to zone 100% of the time, we can stay back and zone with our health advantage/when trait is ready and then go in with the grab and thorn setups when we don't and use her rushdown. Then maybe a setup in bark armour, back dash and straight back into zoning and calling Reptar.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
She is a jack of all trades. She has options for everything but she doesnt exactly excel in any of them.
she can rushdown and has mixup options with lows, highs and a command grab.
She can play the fullscreen game with her vine and bark skin.
She has tools for the mid range as well with b3, b2 and f3.
She also has extras like a lot of multi-hitting strings to break armor and a double hit jump-in.

The main thing is her trait, which enhances any of the above to make it super good while it's active.
Her fullscreen presence becomes much more threatening and basically locks you down till Ivysaur's done.
Her midscreen game becomes more in her favor where she can start mixups or MB roll to put the opponent between Ivysaur and herself for some nasty pressure.
Her corner game and mixups obviously get a crazy upgrade with Ivysaur out as it can make her strings safe, enhances her mixups and maybe even add conversions off of things that would otherwise not be possible. My guess is there's gonna be specific strings people will find that perfectly fit the pauses in Ivysaur's attacks to make a stupid blockstring or safe mixups.

Her strength is gonna be how Ivy manages her trait as it's what makes all her tools go from average to crazy good.
She's gonna be interesting overall and probably really good. Her main weakness is gonna be her wake-up as she'll either have no wake-up options or her kiss grab which is very limited and easy to blow up. We'll see soon enough though, she's very promising atm, can't wait to see the rest of her gear and possible mixups.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
She looks like she'll do the opposite of what the opponent does. If they're zoning she can counter-zone and rushdown, and if they're rushing down she can zone.

Beyond that it just depends on her frame-data.

So I had to sleep on it before posting on this thread.

It's great see that Poison Ivy has the zoning tools that a lot of the people on this thread wanted her to have, but I'm with @myri and @EMPRESS_SunFire in that I don't see her being a true zoner. Her close quarter tools look to be way better than the other zoners in the game.

Poison Ivy really gives me a bit of an INJ1 Harley vibe-- Harley has zoning tools but also has a lot of up close potential with Play Doctor. So the game plan might be to frustrate your opponent by controlling space well and then switching into close combat when they make a mistake in their advance.

I’m a fan of the jack-of-all-trades type characters, so Poison Ivy is high up on my list to try out when the game comes out. So excited!

Edit: That mace stance thing really stood out to me. It doesn't seem to have any synergy with the rest of her kit at all.

EDIT 2: Did anyone else think her backdash was kind of slow?

Last edited:

sranc

creep
She really only has the one full screen attack but at least it hits mid and has a fast start up. I think keeping the bark skin up is gonna be a huge part of her gameplan, the damage reduction was pretty amazing. Those tools combined with Ivysaur will probably make her pretty annoying at a distance.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Edit: That mace stance thing really stood out to me. It doesn't seem to have any synergy with the rest of her kit at all.

EDIT 2: Did anyone else think her backdash was kind of slow?
Yeah the low looks pretty meh. The upward mid could have use as a meterless launcher since cancelling into and out of the stance seems pretty fast. I'm hoping one of the mids are plus on block.

The MB swing seems like it's supposed to work with caltrops for chip but the caltrops seem like complete ass. I wonder what the meter build is like.

And yeah it seems pretty underwhelming at first glance.

Last edited:

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Yeah her caltrops need to do something related to mobility in order to work as a zoning tool, simple DoT when you can just dash off of them is pretty underwhelming.
Have it either lock out jumping or dashing, or stop MB rolls from going through, or maybe even have it do a small hitstun animation so people have to jump over. Just anything really that would add value for the long animation for the move..

Last edited:

kevkopdx

Noob
she doesnt look like a zoner to me either... T-Wrecks looks fuuuuuuun --- wasnt interested in her at first but im sold now

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
Still could be better, but it's an improvement over what we had!
Skip to 3:45

There was just so much room for creativity with her (kiss, blowing dust, pheromones, fly traps attacking, vines) but it's not that big of a deal haha

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
We have KF's slide lol. Meterless pop up and it's 2 hits. Of course it's gear tho.

She can also MB her spikes

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
We have KF's slide lol. Meterless pop up and it's 2 hits. Of course it's gear tho.

She can also MB her spikes
Do MB spikes seem like they did more damage or last longer?

Also I what do you guys think her wakeup attack will be? It seems like the only thing she really can do is MB drill for offense. Besides that maybe MB barkskin into just blocking?

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Wake-up is definitely the kiss grab and it'll probably be not that good, but it'll be a wakeup that goes into full combo for a high risk/high reward wake-up. Unless she has a wake-up only move like Sonya's wakeup bombs lol.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Do MB spikes seem like they did more damage or last longer?

Also I what do you guys think her wakeup attack will be? It seems like the only thing she really can do is MB drill for offense. Besides that maybe MB barkskin into just blocking?
It looks like it did more damage

I haven't seen any new footage of Posion Ivy aside from the random Multiverse CPU. Did any member of the Poison Ivy army go to that event last Thursday? I want some videos :(

The day after edit: Youtuber JaeRoar was kind enough to upload a couple of games with Poison Ivy. Adding it to this post for your viewing pleasure:

Poison Ivy is looking so fun to play. Nightshade's recovery time seems to be fairly fast in this build, so hopefully it will be something we can use a lot during matches.

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Idk if you guys already know this but I was watching a gameplay video and the bed of thorns special is a hit on start-up kinda like acidic's acid... I wonder if it can stack or we can have just one on the screen.

myri

Time Warrior
Idk if you guys already know this but I was watching a gameplay video and the bed of thorns special is a hit on start-up kinda like acidic's acid... I wonder if it can stack or we can have just one on the screen.
Like the db4 restand that Acidic Alien has?

Status
Not open for further replies.