What's new

Poison Ivy Speculation Thread

Do you think Poison Ivy will be more of a Trap/Setup type or Mid range neutral type character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokheit

Noob
Wasn't expecting a lot of the stuff shown (so good job!) and I like how she's a very complete package with things that reminds me of many MKX characters (Erron's Caltrops, Cryomancer's grab into MB stun, Blood God damage reduction totem...).

She will probably be a lot higher execution than expected: Kung Lao/Erron Black-ish stagger strings with lots of buttons and 3 directional command grabs means you will have to truly dedicate yourself to practice her tools so I'm not sure we will see as many people online using her as I initially thought. She also needs a lot of awareness to use her tools correctly.

I like that she has a complex gameplan and I will have lots of fun in the lab with her. On paper looks like she can be like Quan Chi in that she's a good zoner with vortex capability and looks like her corner game can really hurt, but with a very different toolbox.

Also I didn't realize from the trailers that the shoulder plants extended her punches, it makes it less weird how kungfu-esque it looked for a non martial art character when I thought she was only punching.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Things I'm testing as soon as I can:

- Which tools can be activated after MB kiss (puky/thorns/barkskin) and still continue the combo or at least a vortex.

- Tick throws (specially from the stagger string and mixup starters and even puky hits).

- I assume "puky from behind" will still be blocked pressing the back button even if it comes from the opposite direction but I guess I could test it too.

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
honestly her kiss reminds me a lot of harley and frost's grab. seems like it's more of a combo tool then a mixup tool

Also, can we just talk about how wack ass her character select screen attack is? She does like a not throat chop lol like what. Her blowing a kiss with her plant dust would've been perfect, or even like one of the venus fly trap biting, but no, just a chest jab.
Ugh I totally agree I was so disappointed it wasn't a pheromone dust kiss. I really hope we can change the dust color too, I don't like the green.

Blitzace10

The Aquatic Ace
I will have to say, NR designed this character so well, Im in shock. Her not really touching you in her attack is genius. There is nothing they can't design it seems like.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
honestly her kiss reminds me a lot of harley and frost's grab. seems like it's more of a combo tool then a mixup tool
It's really just going to depend on whether it's a high or not. 16 Bit said it was a true throw, so I'm inclined to believe it hits mid.

sranc

creep
I'm just glad she can play from anywhere on the screen, the armor breaking jump in and the command grab are just icing on the cake.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I'm bored so it's gif time boys. Just the main stuff though, I'm not that bored. As previously posted, 12121233 is a high starting fast-hitting string that'll probably be one of her main pressure tools. Just try that armour shit Bane, mmm:
Standing 2 is a double-hitting high. 21 is a low and 213 is a double-hitting overhead that launches:
B1 is a low that looks great for catching dash-ins and seems fast enough to catch people trying to poke out of our staggers. B12 is a mid that can cancel into Vine Drill. The full string is B123 but they didn't show it in the breakdown. It's in her trailer & may or may not launch:
F2 is a high with decent range. F21 is a double-hitting mid and F213 is a double overhead ending in a splat. If F21 has little blockstun we might just have a decent mixup in F213 and F21 -> B1/Kiss:
B2 is probably the go-to poke. Mid with good range and B2D2 can be hit-confirmed into Vine Drill. B2D21+3 is a decent ender:
Throw loops/baits in the corner boys:
Trait = Free jump-in = Free pressure. Oh and F3 will probably be a left/right 50/50 either midscreen or in the corner. FeelsGoodMan

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Well full screen seems like her preferred place, it doesn't seem like it will be easy for her to actually keep that space. The turret and ground spike both seem very powerful, but not enough to really slow anyone down.

Her tools seem like they would be more useful for counter zoning then anything.
Her close up and mid range game both seem decent enough that she could play from pretty much any range.

The only tool that seems a little out of place is her stance, that might have some use depending on what kind of frames it provides, but it's definitely kinda contrast to the rest of her kit.

I also think her little ground thorn trap is mostly a waste of time, outside of maybe some nonsense corner stuff.

But just like with the trailer, it's hard to really say anything until we actually get hands on it and figure out the game in general.

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
So if florasaurus is behind the opponent, then that means they'd have to hold the other way to block right? That'd be pretty sweet if Ivy could do trait, MB roll across and make them hold 12121233. They won't be able to block both the projectile and the string so she could go into a MB vine combo or MB kiss reset.

Dayvon

Noob
If they block low it will block both sides.
So if florasaurus is behind the opponent, then that means they'd have to hold the other way to block right? That'd be pretty sweet if Ivy could do trait, MB roll across and make them hold 12121233. They won't be able to block both the projectile and the string so she could go into a MB vine combo or MB kiss reset.
lock

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I think Yung Yoshi might OTG. Compare the time it takes to get up normally and with Yoshi spitting on them:
At the very least it can force a restand:
Ffs this is gonna be a long few weeks.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
So, when they claimed we were all wrong about how she was going to play, I can safely assume that was a red herring? lol
Well, most people thought she would have some kind of trap into vortex element which she doesn't, at least not on her vanilla moveset.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Well, most people thought she would have some kind of trap into vortex element which she doesn't, at least not on her vanilla moveset.
Referring to the fact that most people thought she'd be a trap/keepaway character, which she is.

And honestly, I don't count on Ty and Der to show off much tech. She could very well have a vortex with her MB kiss in the corner. We'll have to wait and see.

South

I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy
Well I think all us P.I. Mains can say our 3 BEST moves are
1) Vine Drill ~ A great TRACKING mid that when mb'd allows a combo that pushes full screen into (possibly) free NightShade /bark skin/ ground seeds setups! It's easy to hit confirm after strings a great counter zoning tool also basically our "Go to move" for any and every situation!

2) Night Shade ~ our beloved pet! 5 Mid projectiles or 4 mid projectiles into a low dash! AMAZING TRACKING ! Looks like we will be able to call out Night Shade 2-3 time during one round that's 6-9 times during a match HOLY SHIT! Full screen distance with night shade in play probably makes P.I a top 5 zoner (probably)

3) Bark Skin ~ Ik yall are probably saying "or mids" or " it looks like a long start up" well this IS a top 3 move for us, with this move active WE TAKE REDUCED DAMAGE! We can be full screen against characters like (DeadShot Firestorm, and Dr. Fate) and compete with them or be up close and not have worry about full damage... this move might actually be better than Night Shade because of those reasons and the fact that it doesn't need to be charged to be used

Honorable Mentions
4) Stance ~ while we have a Low in this stance IT WILL NOT BE THE GO TO OPTION! We have a possible launching mid from the stance! Which can probably be meterless conversions in the corner! We have a check mid for people who'll try to dash up, and a multi Hitting (possible armor breaking) huge chip damaging mid sequence which might knock people out of the air! The low option is the worst imo because it gives us nun, no launcher, no real chip, no damage really, and it leaves a possible gap to B3 armor or jump just out!

5) Ground seeds ~ although not a projectile, this move will be good for us to possibly use in the corner with Night Shade out it does DoT damage to the opponent (imagine doing The ground seeds into a knock down that gives us Night Shade... and sum how doing the 121212333 string possible cancelling into stance, then mb'd for insane amounts of chip to close out rounds)

6) D2 ~ a quick hitting AA move leads to amazing damage in the corner! Might be our go to AA option

7) F3 ~ Range, Range. Range! I possibly see a condition with Night Shade of conditioning the opponent that will do low with Night Shade but instead do F3 for full combo!

8) B1 ~ a quick Hitting low that goes into overhead might be our go to option after or grab / if conditioned to block Vine drills

9) Grab ~ a tool to mixup up close with our already great mixups/ and staggers (leaves us plus!

10) B2 ~ our main Footsie tool ! Compliments Vine Drill so well also hit confirmable for amazing damage into Night Shade/ Bark Skin setups / S2 a quick high hitting attack which might be our main punisher with 22 string

Can't wait to play this beautiful Flora
@Lokheit @sranc @xWildx @xKhaoTik @just_2swift @BowTheDeceitful
@Dayvon @HeroesNZ @Ninjaguy446
@x TeeJay o
@all other Poison Ivy Mains

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I am SO happy she got a good AA, there's nothing worse than playing a character with a bad AA (nobody should have bad AAs at all, idc...)

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
It's really just going to depend on whether it's a high or not. 16 Bit said it was a true throw, so I'm inclined to believe it hits mid.
I think by true throw he meant an unblockable (high or mid) move since there are some moves that look like throws and are blockable just like any other move.

myri

Time Warrior
So the guys on the stream and people in this thread are saying that Ivy is a zoner or a keep away character but I don't really see it, her only real full screen options are Reptar and the vine drills, she is very far and away from the calibre of Deadshot and Fate as far as zoners are concerned, to me she seems like she could be played from anywhere on screen, whether full screen, mid screen or right on top of your opponent and her move set seems pretty versatile for different kinds of setups and playstyles over the course of a match. She doesn't really seem to fit any one particular playstyle in my opinion, she seems so well rounded but I think that almost hurts her in a way because she doesn't really excel over the top in any particular way.

Not trying to sound negative cause as you guys know I'm super keen on this character, I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to play her would be and how to get the best synergy out of her tools is. I'm thinking that maybe there are setups from HKD into thorns or bark and then you can retreat and bring out Reptar and use him until he's gone and then go back in maybe? Not really sure.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
So the guys on the stream and people in this thread are saying that Ivy is a zoner or a keep away character but I don't really see it, her only real full screen options are Reptar and the vine drills, she is very far and away from the calibre of Deadshot and Fate as far as zoners are concerned, to me she seems like she could be played from anywhere on screen, whether full screen, mid screen or right on top of your opponent and her move set seems pretty versatile for different kinds of setups and playstyles over the course of a match. She doesn't really seem to fit any one particular playstyle in my opinion, she seems so well rounded but I think that almost hurts her in a way because she doesn't really excel over the top in any particular way.

Not trying to sound negative cause as you guys know I'm super keen on this character, I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to play her would be and how to get the best synergy out of her tools is. I'm thinking that maybe there are setups from HKD into thorns or bark and then you can retreat and bring out Reptar and use him until he's gone and then go back in maybe? Not really sure.
I agree, I don't see a zoner at all... She does have some fullscreen options (one of them being her trait, which has a cooldown and goes away when she gets hit) that are good but she doesn't seem like a zoner at all to me, she looks kinda like a jack of all trades, master of none kinf of character... Which isn't bad because those characters usually end up being pretty balanced. I can see her shining in the set-up department but we would have to wait and see her actual set-ups.

Something that I've been thinking about a lot is that she doesn't seem to have a wake-up attack at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.