Poison Ivy full strings and specials breakdown.

Discussion in 'Poison Ivy' started by Lokheit, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM.

1. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

I've been carefully analyzing every move shown on the stream (including the ones not talked about) and trailer (there are different string enders to those shown in the stream) and I wanted to create a separate thread to serve as reference table and discuss them and their applications.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 8:37 PM
  2. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

3. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

Seriously, if S213 is a tick throw, the corner game becomes brutal. Probably the first string I test when looking for tick throws.

sranc and x TeeJay o like this.
  4. themilkman014

themilkman014 I am committed to naanvilence

Neat report you cooked up there friendo. I'll mull this over. Cheers.

Lokheit likes this.
  5. sranc

sranc Ivy League.
    Premium Supporter

Her d2 looks pretty slow, b3 looks like a better choice for aa. Still not great though, damn jumpers.

6. South

South I'd rather SHOW than TELL ~ Poison Ivy

First thank you for the tag! I plan to help find as much tech as I did with konjurer alien lol but overall I'm very happy with her base design and also her play style

x TeeJay o and Lokheit like this.
  7. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

B2D2 really seems to be thought to make people used to command grab cancels during juggles. I still don't know why NRS has to keep them as 3 directional commands to be honest, but pressing down during the last hit of the previous string helps as you only need to input BF after it and this string already asks you to press down (it would also work if the string doesn't require a direction but this one makes it look natural).

8. exisTenz

exisTenz Noob

Nice breakdown, thanks! Looks like she won't be easy to play, it will take me some time to get used to performing command grab consistently as well as her 1212123 string, but she seems fun and I like the character so it won't stop me.

Lokheit likes this.
  9. South

10. sranc

sranc Ivy League.
    Premium Supporter

dbf commands took a long time for me to get used to but they're okay now. Ivy doesn't have any other specials off that button so at least you won't get a db1 on accident.

Lokheit and South like this.
  11. just_2swift

just_2swift Long live the fucking G.O.A.T.

Great work on this information you've put together for us thanks man.

Lokheit likes this.
  12. x TeeJay o

x TeeJay o Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
    Royal Contributor

The fact that she may have a restand and Ivysoar possibly resets, she's going to be so scrumptious!

Lokheit and South like this.
  13. South

I think Bark Skin will be a universal tool will use against rushdown/zoner opponents! And Ground Seeds will be more corner oki/pressure used... while Night Shade will be multi purpose

Lokheit likes this.
  14. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

I wonder what could happen if Ivysaur hits during the grab animation (any of them as both are restands). In MKX, a hit during grabs (SZ clone, Cyrax bombs...) would knock you down too (it would be funny, like the plant not liking strangers kissing his mom) but if it doesn't KD any player it could be a restand that doesn't trigger autoblock.

Another thing to look for is if any of the strings is a HKD with 30+ frames of advantage because it would guarantee a free J2 (armor breaker for wakeups) into S2 (another armor breaker that leads into a mixup).

South and x TeeJay o like this.
  15. South

Yes also setup sum corner oki with nightshade/ground seeds into s2

Lokheit likes this.
  16. HeroesNZ

HeroesNZ Ivy's Billionaire Sugar Daddy

PSN:
    HeroesNZ3
    Good stuff man. Lol I didn't even think of the 50/50 between 213/F213 and 21 Low Mace. If Low Mace is safe on block then that's actually pretty decent.

Derek used her D3 vs Tyler. It's pretty standard. Also is this what you're referring to here?
    If so then that's not a string, it's just F21 xx MB F3

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM
  17. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

But F3 isn't used in the buttons log. That's why I assume it's a different ender to the string.

18. HeroesNZ

PSN:
    HeroesNZ3
    Yeah you can do DF/DB MB to bounce cancel into MB F3/B3

Lokheit and EMPRESS_SunFire like this.
  19. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

I didn't know that (I didn't play Injustice 1). So then it's like canceling into a special? You press DB/DF and MB from any string and the B3/F3 animation will come? If you don't use MB can you cancel into the meterless versions? This adds an OH cancel to any string she has then, and one that can be held a bit for different ranges to bait button press.

20. HeroesNZ

PSN:
    HeroesNZ3
    Yeah as long as the string is cancellable. But you can only bounce cancel into MB B/F3 (can't do meterless) and it requires two bars of meter. It's also very reactable.

It was generally used for unclashable/more damage but could also be used after a punishable string to bait the punish and blow them up with the armour.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Lokheit likes this.
  21. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

Thanks for the info, I will remove that particular string from the post to avoid confusion then.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    HeroesNZ likes this.
  22. HanSolo

HanSolo Noob

Ugh, the dbf and dd1/dd2 inputs are such a turn-off

exisTenz and Lokheit like this.
  23. Lokheit

Lokheit Noob

Yeah, the dd aren't such a pain but I still don't know why there is a need to make command grabs get 3 directional inputs. Even if you can get used to them, it makes no sense to add artificial difficulty to execution for the sake of it on tools basic for a character's gameplan (and don't get me started on Wrestler Jax and Jaquie's stanky leg...).

exisTenz likes this.
  24. exisTenz

exisTenz Noob

Yeah, and I don't get why Sun God Kotal has an easy command grab input while the rest of the cast in mkx have that 3-directional input, seems pretty random. I'm still not 100% consistent with command grab in Cryo even after practicing for so long, I know I'll be having a hard time with it in I2, which is unfortunate, because I really want to play Ivy :/

25. The PantyChrist

The PantyChrist Rest in Pantiez

Pretty sure those jumping kicks are called butterfly kicks