What's new

Match-up Discussion Pocket Medic - Alternate Character discussion for Smoke Mains

RiBBz22 I barely had BnBs down then and I still barely have them down. I just need to get comfortable with her, maybe i'll play her in a few weeks when I think she's ready lol

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Any new action going on in the realm of pocket characters to help out our beloved Smoke? I think I have settled on Cage and Kenshi, but I really need to practice my Kenshi more so I can start playing more off reactions. I really should probably be playing Reptile more, but for some reason I will start to pick him back up again for a short period of time (I started out the game maining him) and then go back to the aforementioned characters.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Want to briefly discuss possible alternate characters for Smoke that cover his bad matchups well, while still being strong in and of their own right (making them good tournament secondaries.) One-off counterpicks are not useful. I'm going to be picking up either Jax, Kenshi, or Freddy Krueger out of necessity for a secondary. I think. They seem to be the best choices, and my talks with assorted people this past weekend has reinforced this thought in my head.

I'm tired of being online as fuck, time to get good. Smoke players; who do YOU run as an alternate, and why? Do you run solo smoke, and if so why and how do you deal with awful matchups? If you have multiple alts, how do you prioritize your counterpicks when following winner=character lock rules? How do you decide when to bite the bullet and continue playing a tough matchup with Smoke instead of switching? Trying to pool as much info as I can so I can decide how to approach my training from now on.
Pick up all the characters you have trouble beating and learn them to see where you can put the crowbar in their cogs imo.

McNasty

Moist.
I know ive probably mentioned it before but for me having an alt that I dont have to switch my style up a lot is key to having a successful tourney alt. Smoke is a defensive character with great mobility so if I feel the need to use my alt I wanna character I can plug into my gameplan with ease. Reptile has the mobility and 'pick your openings' type of offense I need to seemlessly use him in tourney. Recently in my local scene ive been downloaded and have began using kitana just to stay fresh. I love the fact that I can play a similar footsie game and keep the touch of death mentality of chosing my openings wisely. All 3 can be played to my liking with only inputs/match ups truly changing.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
I'm currently using Kabal.

i mess around with Jax, Lao, Kenshi and Freddy.

I think the ones listed above, plus Cage are all pretty good choices. I've used Kabal before so i'm more comfortable with him that's why i chose him for a second.