What's new

Video/Tutorial PND_Ketchup's Video Tutorial on Lobo

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hey there, I've been exploring Lobo since his release, here's what I've found so far.

MB Charge - Safe on block, when connected close enough, Lobo will swap sides with them at the very last minute, making it very hard to tell what direction he's facing while the opponent wakes up. You can guarantee this every time from a connected B2,U1 or B1,2 so long as you connect it as a string.

From here, you can go for some confusing looking setups as demonstrated here.

On block you will be safe, and can potentially backdash block string attempts, or you can while if you anticipate a backdash.

B1,2 - Low starter that gives + frames on block. On block, string guarantees a free D1, which can be chained into MB charge for neutral situation. Great string to do up close and can be hitconfirmed into B1,2,13 on hit.

B2,1 - Overhead into low, on hit lands huge damage, -8 on block, make this move safe by chaining it into a MB charge for neutral setup, on hit also guarantees Lobo to swap sides if chained into MB charge.

On block, Lobo can also chain into low gunshot, which is scary should Lobo have a nuclear round stocked.

Corner control from Lobo's standing 3 is effective if you keep your opponent scared to jump out, some characters have to make the right read to escape, and Lobo has more options due to safe specials and the range/startup of standing 3.

2,1 - long range string that can be chained into his low/high whip, this is especially effective at chasing down backdashes on the opponents wakeup, works well from a connected low whip, as most characters cannot backdash. Is NOT 100% safe should the opponent jump on wakeup, it's your duty to condition the opponent not to jump.

Nuclear shot - makes F2,3 splat the opponent, allowing Lobo to land some ambiguous crossups on the opponents wakeup. Low nuclear shot Can be combo'd into B1 MB command grab for huge damage.

B1, nuclear shot is also very effective in setups for low command grab.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm aware this isn't everything, but I really wanted to find what makes Lobo tick, and he's a very fast paced and aggressive character should you manage to get in.

Attachments

Hey man, I'd appreciate it a lot if you kept videos like this coming. I want to like this character so bad, but I'm struggling to figure him out on my own. Always good to see how others are approaching him :\

PND_Ketchup

Hey man, I'd appreciate it a lot if you kept videos like this coming. I want to like this character so bad, but I'm struggling to figure him out on my own. Always good to see how others are approaching him :\
I'm at Colosseum games tomorrow, and I intend on using Lobo throughout.

Watch me either do well with all my tech, or get bodied, who knows!

(If I lose, I'll blame Lobo)

AssassiN

Noob
Maybe it's just me, but if I see that B12 hits I'll confirm into his trait if I don't have it yet.
I don't like confirming into 1+2 because it puts you too far away from the opponent, I'll just roll in for any potential mix-ups after B12.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Maybe it's just me, but if I see that B12 hits I'll confirm into his trait if I don't have it yet.
I don't like confirming into 1+2 because it puts you too far away from the opponent, I'll just roll in for any potential mix-ups after B12.
Yeah I was going to say b12 is one of only two safe ways to load his gun, so I usually use it for that.

Also you can get a safe shell and interesting bait off b3 j2 jd3 4. It's visually deceptive but with proper timing and the jd3 close to the ground it is completely safe to all wakeups. (Even 6 frame ones)

Also you mention safe specials with standing 3, but even from a decent range most of the cast can punish db3 with a full combo. All the gunshots are safe, but in the video it looks like you mostly canceled it to db3 which is unfortunately not.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
I'm at Colosseum games tomorrow, and I intend on using Lobo throughout.

Watch me either do well with all my tech, or get bodied, who knows!

(If I lose, I'll blame Lobo)

I hope you do well. I want to feel hope again because I really enjoy the character but I feel like he can't hang with the big boys.

One quick question, do you play on pad or stick? And do you have any advice for doing b+1 into dbf2? It's easily the most difficult cancel in the game and while I (on stick) am consistent on left side, it's just crazy hard to do it fast enough from the right. Any motion tricks or shortcuts I might be missing or is it just a matter of speed?

PND_Ketchup

I hope you do well. I want to feel hope again because I really enjoy the character but I feel like he can't hang with the big boys.

One quick question, do you play on pad or stick? And do you have any advice for doing b+1 into dbf2? It's easily the most difficult cancel in the game and while I (on stick) am consistent on left side, it's just crazy hard to do it fast enough from the right. Any motion tricks or shortcuts I might be missing or is it just a matter of speed?
Ha, yeah about that.

Lobo was banned today :( I had to use Lex Luthor instead.

I play on a regular Xbox pad, the key to landing his command grab is remembering to push Forward and 2 at the exact same time, a problem i used to have is that id do it all one after the other, so the grab would rarely come out.

Ha, yeah about that.

Lobo was banned today :( I had to use Lex Luthor instead.

I play on a regular Xbox pad, the key to landing his command grab is remembering to push Forward and 2 at the exact same time, a problem i used to have is that id do it all one after the other, so the grab would rarely come out.
Wtf why was lobo banned...makes no sense.
Was looking forward to catching the recordings to check out your lobo in action. :(

PND_Ketchup

any tips for getting the comand grab out after b1?
It's just a motion that comes to you eventually.

Remember the fact that the second you press B1, start buffering Down,back, so the second the move connects, you'll be pressing Forward and 2 at the exact same time.

Thanks for this video Ketchup.
Please go to your settings in your YouTube channel and make this video available for "mobile".

I tried going to your page directly from my YouTube app on iPhone but it says that video is available for mobile. Aside from this, good work. Thanks for sharing.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
It's just a motion that comes to you eventually.

Remember the fact that the second you press B1, start buffering Down,back, so the second the move connects, you'll be pressing Forward and 2 at the exact same time.
Awesome video! I'm kind of a noob but I'm committed to trying to learn these set ups and the main man.

Just curious, do you use a standard controller or something else? I practice a lot but the 360 D pad is atrocious and definitely not helping my admittedly mediocre Lobo game.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Great stuff ketchup but since hes not superman he sucks lol

does anyone else also realise how good his d2 is?

Great stuff ketchup but since hes not superman he sucks lol

i have to admit ive never actually used it in a game :S
most of the time anti airing in this game with normals gets stuffed, does his d2 beat out a lot?

PND_Ketchup

Awesome video! I'm kind of a noob but I'm committed to trying to learn these set ups and the main man.

Just curious, do you use a standard controller or something else? I practice a lot but the 360 D pad is atrocious and definitely not helping my admittedly mediocre Lobo game.
I use a regular Xbox pad, I always have done.

I actually like the Dpad on it, as I prefer the way it moves with my thumb :)

If you hate it that much, why don't you try a fightpad, or a ps2 controller/converter?

PND_Ketchup

Thanks for this video Ketchup.
Please go to your settings in your YouTube channel and make this video available for "mobile".

I tried going to your page directly from my YouTube app on iPhone but it says that video is available for mobile. Aside from this, good work. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry dude, I'll have a look and see if I can fix it!

BGMD

Noob
It's very good, I've been even able to b3 after it. Started using it more after I saw some stuff AI did on very hard.

My friend plays Batman only, and his j2 (ugh, i hate this move) still beats me around 50/50, I guess it depends on the angle. After trading hits, I'm still able to do 3 xx bf3. I need some more practice with it.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
I use a regular Xbox pad, I always have done.

I actually like the Dpad on it, as I prefer the way it moves with my thumb :)

If you hate it that much, why don't you try a fightpad, or a ps2 controller/converter?
Because I'm an idiot and that's a great idea, haha. Haven't found any fight pads I like but the PS2/3 controller converter may be the answer I was looking for and will be a lot cheaper than a hit box.

I just find that half the time I try DBF motions on the standard D pad it takes one of the back or forward inputs as a diagonal and doesn't execute the throw. I think my human error/sloppiness doesn't do well with the D pad directions being physically connected.

Thank you for the advice sir.

PND_Ketchup

Because I'm an idiot and that's a great idea, haha. Haven't found any fight pads I like but the PS2/3 controller converter may be the answer I was looking for and will be a lot cheaper than a hit box.

I just find that half the time I try DBF motions on the standard D pad it takes one of the back or forward inputs as a diagonal and doesn't execute the throw. I think my human error/sloppiness doesn't do well with the D pad directions being physically connected.

Thank you for the advice sir.
Don't mention it buddy, good luck with finding a controller scheme that suits you!

I posted this in the wrong thread before, reposting here because this is actually where it belongs.

Idk if this has been posted yet, but If you do b2u1 then b1,2 bf3 you dont need to EX the chain to get this situation to occur (tested on batman). Im sure there are more ways to land this that end up being meterless, so everyone should do some exploring.

If your opponent learns how to block the ambiguous setup, start going right into command throw. This setup is amazing. GL level ambiguity but with way more damage potential!

Also, a bit of anti-doomsday tech, if he does his doomsday unblockable drop, do b3 MB then dash once and as he flies over you do b1,2 bf3 and punish the crap out of doomy with this super ambiguous mixup.