What's new

Please make mk11 more fightstick friendly

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I switched to pad for mk11, I hate it but tolerate it. I feel the game doesnt have proper support for stick players.

1. Fix button shortcuts. Button shortcuts will trigger interactables when dialing strings. In my experience, this only happens when opponents are in hit or block stun. I dont think this really needs much of an explanation of why its bad.

The ability to press a combo of buttons to throw and etc is important for stick players imo. Especially in a game like mk11 that requires at least 7 buttons.

2. Alternate controls could use tweaking. Having to reset to neutral in order to perform a special move is a hindrance. Doing a hcf or hcb motion while coming off of forward or back should work. This was possible in injustice 2 when the game first launched but it introduced the back dash bug that drove people crazy. They fixed the back dash bug but only by removing the input buffer on held directions like back and forward. Maybe I'm spoiled from other games but I think this would be a welcome change for some.

3. Would be nice if there was some alternate method of control for using buffs in towers. Stick players cant really play the full game. Same goes for the krypt.

The games been out for a year now. A lot of people use fight sticks. Hook us up.

I could not agree more! I’ve got a bad left thumb. i suck using a controller. I miss using the arcade stick from MK9. MKX made it almost useless with the stupid ”run”.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I have a 8 button stick that also has the ability to switch dp/ls/rs(if really can't be arsed picking up pad for krypt) have had button shortcuts off since the option has been in nrs games so I don't really suffer from problems you listed.

Not being able to use the things in the towers see how could be annoying to people but doesn't bother me.

The alt controls thing I never got why people use, why make your moves require more inputs by choice.

Anyways,
Pause delay being on and double tapping start for working as the touch pad reset is really nice but wish that would also work for making a koth window full screen instead have to pause in-game and change to theatre mode.
That be my request. Not major thing but be nice

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
MK11 plays fine on stick and hitbox.. no issues at all. In fact a bunch of top tier pros use stick like KP and Biohazard. There is not only nothing wrong with the stick controls, they are, imo, really great. I would strongly recommend play stick with the options set to exact inputs.

The only issue is with the single player experience as the augment use button is stick button, left I think.. and there is no way to change the mapping that I know of. This option should really be in there as there is no way for stick or hitbox players to play single player modes that use these buttons.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
MK11 plays fine on stick and hitbox.. no issues at all. In fact a bunch of top tier pros use stick like KP and Biohazard. There is not only nothing wrong with the stick controls, they are, imo, really great. I would strongly recommend play stick with the options set to exact inputs.

The only issue is with the single player experience as the augment use button is stick button, left I think.. and there is no way to change the mapping that I know of. This option should really be in there as there is no way for stick or hitbox players to play single player modes that use these buttons.
That's great that some pros play on stick. Button shortcuts is a preference, it's broken and it needs to be fixed. Why argue against fixing a broken option in the game?

As for why I prefer alt controls, it eliminates accidental inputs. I understand we have medium and strict inputs but alt controls allow more free movement without the restrictions of normal controls. Simply just allowing held directions to buffer towards special moves, like they did at first in injustice 2 would be great. Just dont have it apply to dashing.

Some may think fit's fine, that's great. Still I feel that they arent fine. I'm more comfortable on a pad in this game when I play stick in every other fighter I touch. I'm really not the only one that feels this way. Just because some arent bothered by it doesnt mean it necessarily fine the way it is. Nothing wrong with continuing to fine tune the controls.

I figure this thread is going nowhere but it's worth the small effort I guess lol.

Last edited:
I'm okay with mk getting more stick friendly, but never to the point where stick has an advantage over controller pad, dont want to fork money for a stick

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I know stick players are quite loyal to them, but I wonder how much longer fighting sticks are going to be a thing? Not knocking anyone who chooses to use a stick. They look pretty dang kewl. And NRS should still totally support them and try and improve the experience for them. But just trying to be practical, almost all new players today are growing up playing on pad or hitbox.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I can't agree with you more. I play on hitbox and I have similar issues even with set requirements off as well.

I didn't really have too much of a issues in Ij2 has they fixed many input issues. However it seems to be a issue in mk11. Triggering interactables during combos happens quite a lot now especially the floor interactibles. Like I said for years why not have it mapped to switch stance button combination instead to meter combination I bet there would be far less issues.

Also I found mk9 more stick friendly than all the nrs game that came after.

MK9

Noob
If u use an 8 button layout it’s fins, Scoot is talking about using say the classic mk layout or less buttons than 8

Popegina

Hymen Holocaust
I tried using my Hori fight stick for Mk11 the other day and didn't like it at all, mainly due to the fact that this game has a block button