What's new

Please hire Mick Gordon.

It's no denying that most NRS soundtracks post MK9 haven't been that good. MK12 music should mostly just be techno and metal and characters should have their own themes. Mick Gordon has shown interest in doing music for MK. Look at the music he made for Doom and Killer Instint. MK needs that type of genius. What do you think?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I read somewhere that Mick offered to do music for them and NRS said they didn’t like his music. The boring music of the current MK games seems to be fully intentional. It’s odd.
Well, MK11 was boring, so the music was very fitting. It puts you to sleep the same way playing the game did.

MK9's music wasn't bad but MKX's sucked and didn't fit the speed of that game whatsoever.

Mick would be very welcomed in a wild, fast-paced MK game but I don't see NRS hiring him. Especially after what happened with Doom Eternal. I think they're content with music that isn't just forgettable, but music that you don't even realize is there.

I guess the Kano bar cage music was alright.
Everything else sucks.

Everything Mick touches turns out to be gold. Seems the MK composer sucks somebodies dick, even though he hasn't done a decent soundtrack since 1995, they refuse to fire or promote him somewhere else.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
He could do a really could job.
I doubt they would ever work with him after what happened with doom eternal though.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I don’t even play KI and I’ll occasionally bring up its tracks to listen to. So, very much, yes.

NRS music style for fighting games is effectively best described as "movie battle scene"

Here's the main MK11 theme

And here's the theme for the Helm's deep battle in LotR

And here's the battle theme from Edge of Tomorrow

For comparison to the previous three, here's KI's (fucking amazing) theme

Compare that to Mick Gordon's works and it kinda makes sense why they think he doesn't fit even if he is indisputably one of the best things to happen to video game audio. They're going less for a "this fight is a music video" and more for a "this fight is a movie scene" vibe. And I respect that approach even though I like the former approach better.

I think NRS botched the "movie music" approach though. I remember the LotR battle themes, the Rogue One battle themes, all these "grand battle movie" styles, but I can't even hum the MK9-11 themes from memory. They need to amp up the volume and make it dynamic like KI.

EDIT

I'm actually not sure if MG was involved with the KI3 menu theme. I'm pretty sure he was and the point stands regardless due to style

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I wish the music in the MK series was stronger.

I've mentioned it before, but think of all the great character themes out there. Guile from SF2, Vega in SFIV, Zato in Strive (hell, anime fighters often get cool specific match up tracks like "Still in the Dark" when Zato and Millia fight). They get so much character and personality just from the music. There was an ABI Editorial recently that touched on this well.

Now think of an MK character's theme... opps, they don't have them.

It's such a missed opportunity. Hell, we know they could do them well too! Check out Lui Kang's theme from the Mortal Kombat: Songs Inspired by the Warriors soundtrack that came out with MK9. It rips! Why doesn't he have a cool, dangerous, distinctly Eastern theme like this in every game? Why is the music determined by stages and all kind of samey and indistinct?

Definitely something they should aim to correct going forward.

NRS music style for fighting games is effectively best described as "movie battle scene"

Here's the main MK11 theme

And here's the theme for the Helm's deep battle in LotR

And here's the battle theme from Edge of Tomorrow

For comparison to the previous three, here's KI's (fucking amazing) theme

Compare that to Mick Gordon's works and it kinda makes sense why they think he doesn't fit even if he is indisputably one of the best things to happen to video game audio. They're going less for a "this fight is a music video" and more for a "this fight is a movie scene" vibe. And I respect that approach even though I like the former approach better.

I think NRS botched the "movie music" approach though. I remember the LotR battle themes, the Rogue One battle themes, all these "grand battle movie" styles, but I can't even hum the MK9-11 themes from memory. They need to amp up the volume and make it dynamic like KI.

EDIT

I'm actually not sure if MG was involved with the KI3 menu theme. I'm pretty sure he was and the point stands regardless due to style
Yeah, I know they are going for a movie vibe, but in my opinion this is the wrong way to approach it. Movies are designed to be consumed in a couple of hours and you are not interacting with it...just watching and listening. They can get away with muted music. In fact, it may be better for hearing the dialogue. Hearing the same boring/cinematic music for over 500 hours in a game like MK is however, kinda exhausting to my brain. I literally mute the menu music in mk11 when I start it up.

Movie music can be sick as fuck.
It's basically modern classical music and I can hum every song of Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian, yet Mortal Kombat 11 it's just the main menu music and I fucking despise it.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
If only. I hate how boring the music is in MK11. Why are MK's OSTs going in this direction? I didn't like MKX's OST either but it was better than this ambient trash. The music in a fighting game is supposed to be full of energy to get you amped up for some action. Who the fuck is getting pumped to the Dragon Grotto theme? It's really disappointing that someone like Boon, who is always banging on about "over the top" ideas, goes the complete opposite direction with this samey direct-to-video movie score. If the OSTs keep trending like this then I don't know why they would even bother with music for MK12 because it may as well not be there in the first place.

Zviko

Noob
MK11 has music?

I'm definitely up for Gordon. Music he's done for Wolfenstein and Doom is the best I've heard in games ever.

It's really disappointing that someone like Boon, who is always banging on about "over the top" ideas, goes the complete opposite direction with this samey direct-to-video movie score.
It might not be his call. The music started going this way ever since WB started getting involved starting with MK vs DC.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
It might not be his call. The music started going this way ever since WB started getting involved starting with MK vs DC.
I don't believe that Boon has zero creative control over the music. He has the kind of leverage to get the music that he wants. Either he doesn't really care or pay attention to the music or he has bland taste. Even the music they licensed for the character trailers is better than the music in the game lol.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I’m gonna go negative (just because) & bring a better alternatives...

Besides the drama that has happened with DOOM: Eternal but I don’t think Mick Gordon’s music would fit that well. Just listen to Killer Instinct & all the games he has done for Bethesda (Not just DOOM but Prey & the Wolfenstein trilogy). Everything he does fits the pace really well, the faster & heavier the better. All seven of those games are very high speed & make you want to play & groove to the music but the speed in MK11, you can’t really do that because the pace is slower than two turtles fucking in comparison to Killer Instinct as it would be like listening to KI themes at 0.10x speed so it wouldn’t really work that well.

Honestly...
I’d LOVE if Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (or/with Jack Wall) would compose a Mortal Kombat game. I just think Nine Inch Nails would literally be perfect & would be fitting doing the music for a Mortal Kombat game just the symbolism it would have as both were huge in the 90s that caused controversy that are still huge today with Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross winning Academy, Golden Globe & Grammy awards, working with Disney along with being credited on Old Town Road by Lil Nas X. Just listen Nine Inch Nails instrumentals.

Trent Reznor & Jack Wall worked together on Call of Duty: Black Ops II but Jack Wall’s older compositions like Jade Empire which was heavily influenced by traditional Asian music but if you mix it up with his newer compositions that he has done with the Call of Duty franchise but with Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross touches would make it incredible & make it very Mortal Kombat.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Trent Reznor hasn't done cool music since The Fragile. But yeah would probably be better than what they have now, but I don't think NRS would want to pay the bucks that Trent is asking for nowadays.
Not exactly true, he’s done a lot great or “cool” stuff since 1999 when it comes to NIN. I liked Bad Witch which came out in like 2018. I still need to listen to Ghost V & Ghost VI but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

He & Atticus Ross are highly sought out & major award winning producers & composers & have done amazing music for soundtracks & other artists like I really want to listen to the new Halsey album that they did with her when it comes out later this month but from what I’ve already heard it’s pretty amazing.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
With teeth, year zero and the slip were good.
But pretty hate machine up to and including the fragile were definitely the best.

The downward spiral is best album ever. I mean ever.