What's new

Playstyle for each character?

Gerbera

Noob
Trying to find out who to main but so far all these characters have a good amount of depth plus the variation system complicates things. Can someone just give me the playstyle of each character or a general overview that could possibly help me find a main?

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Others will probably give you a nice, detailed answer to your question. All I will say is I think you should just pick a character(s) that appeal to you. Maybe it’s their design, maybe it’s their special moves, maybe it’s their fatality. Whatever it is, trying picking them up and see how it goes.

I can only give you a few from my perspective, so keep that in mind. Kabal seems to be a vortex style, similar to Smoke in 9. Your opponent basically stays stuck in the center while you hit from their every side. Jax & Jaqqui feel like rush downs as the fly forward, hit hard, but leave huge spots for punishment. Skarlet is a zoner thru & thru. It may feel like she's a spammer but her style is unique (trying her as my alt). Noob my favorite is a space heavy style. I've learned he's a lot like Vega from SF. His reach is so amazing compared to others. His uppercut seems to reach out to roughly double of other fighters. I highly suggest picking a character who's overall style you enjoy. You can play any character as any style you want, you just need to spend time with them to fully appreciate their styles. One other tip; if you play online your biggest focus should be on knowing your enemies traits above your own. The CPU uses every attack with near perfect timing. Online players have glaringly obvious strategies.

Trying to find out who to main but so far all these characters have a good amount of depth plus the variation system complicates things. Can someone just give me the playstyle of each character or a general overview that could possibly help me find a main?
there are character tutorials in the game and right at the beginning of each char's lesson it tells the rough gameplan

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Others will probably give you a nice, detailed answer to your question. All I will say is I think you should just pick a character(s) that appeal to you. Maybe it’s their design, maybe it’s their special moves, maybe it’s their fatality. Whatever it is, trying picking them up and see how it goes.
Personally, I used to think this way, but @eazytobeat @Gerchap @mastermalone and @M2Dave have convinced me otherwise. See my post above.

I’ll give this a shot, my mains are Kabal and sub zero.
I only play thin ice sub zero since I think that the unsafe 50/50 vortex that he gets in DoW is not worth losing slide, air axe, and deathcicle barrage. I will explain why; sub zero is a punish character that lives on making your opponent pay for their mistakes.

I’ll start with his strings, b143 is a far reaching high meaning that it is tailor made for whiff punishing and should only be used for that purpose, since being a high it can be ducked and punished. F24 is a decent reaching overhead that should only be used as a counter/punish for the kB that you get from it, just throwing it out is not a smart move as it is hella negative. B321 is a low starter that acts as your hit confirm mid as that move is safe and also has ok range, it’s a little tough to hit confirm as it is pretty quick but I’ve done it. Lastly b21 is your anti air/ mid check as it is safe, has great range, and is great at catching people checking buttons because it is quick and mid hitting. Oh and you should be using 12 x ice ball for quick punishes.

Next his specials.
It’s important that you never just throw them out as they have significant weaknesses. Slide is unsafe and should only be used to go under projectiles, far whiff punishes, and as a damage ender.
Ice ball for hit confirms and projectiles trades, it’s hella unsafe on block/whiff though.
Deathcicle barrage is fantastic for chip but has a long startup so you should only be canceling into it from a string, it is easily interrupted however, if they read it.
Air axe is amazing for space control and counter zoning as it changes your jump arc, but be careful not to get trip guarded.

So with all these tools you notice that he doesn’t have any plus on block moves and his specials are all unsafe. Sub zero is not a pressure character. He controls the space amazingly. And has a tool for almost all situations, as long as you read or react accordingly. You should play lamely, taking as little risk as possible and capitalize in situations where you can catch your opponent over extending.

I main Cetrion (Force of Nature). Amazing zoning tools. My previous favorite fighting game character was Dhalsim from Ultra Street Fighter 4, and being able to fight most of a match from a full screen away is awesome in my book. She actually has pretty solid strings on top of her already god-like zoning tools.