What's new

Playing only Harley viable?

Zyro

Noob
I wanted to ask the Harley community,is it viable to play only as Harley Quinn and get consistent results? I see alot of both casual and pro players having an alt and switching when facing hard matchups. And this happens quite often actually. Would it be possible to play only her on a high level without resorting to others?

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I wanted to ask the Harley community,is it viable to play only as Harley Quinn and get consistent results? I see alot of both casual and pro players having an alt and switching when facing hard matchups. And this happens quite often actually. Would it be possible to play only her on a high level without resorting to others?
Most characters in this game need a secondary to cover their bad matchups, harley is definitely no exception.

Zyro

Noob
Most characters in this game need a secondary to cover their bad matchups, harley is definitely no exception.
That is true but then again Biohazard seems to be doing pretty well with her and bane,and both them arent considered high tier characters. Also saltface used to be pretty good with harley back in Injustice 1 and almost won some tournaments just with her.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
That is true but then again Biohazard seems to be doing pretty well with her and bane,and both them arent considered high tier characters. Also saltface used to be pretty good with harley back in Injustice 1 and almost won some tournaments just with her.
Biohazard plays a few characters, saltface dropped harley in inj 2 in favor of a stronger character. But it's up to u man, see how it goes playing harley only. She's the most fun character in the game, so i see why you wanna play her exclusively.

Zyro

Noob
Biohazard plays a few characters, saltface dropped harley in inj 2 in favor of a stronger character. But it's up to u man, see how it goes playing harley only. She's the most fun character in the game, so i see why you wanna play her exclusively.
I think she was better back in inj1. Id rather have her past pluses,silly slide,and the trait had a gimmicky reset bomb which was very useful. The hyenas are great,but i liked her more in inj1 regardless.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
I think she was better back in inj1. Id rather have her past pluses,silly slide,and the trait had a gimmicky reset bomb which was very useful. The hyenas are great,but i liked her more in inj1 regardless.
As an overall character she was probably stronger in IGAU, but her MU chart was way worse and a lot of the cast stomped her pretty hard. As for maining her only, unless you want to get counter picked by Aquaman, Firestorm, and Supergirl a lot, I'd probably pick up Catwoman/Ivy/Supergirl/RH/WoWo, etc. to cover bad MUs.

Zyro

Noob
As an overall character she was probably stronger in IGAU, but her MU chart was way worse and a lot of the cast stomped her pretty hard. As for maining her only, unless you want to get counter picked by Aquaman, Firestorm, and Supergirl a lot, I'd probably pick up Catwoman/Ivy/Supergirl/RH/WoWo, etc. to cover bad MUs.
Would you say that Aquaman is still 7-3 in his favor? In injustice 1 he was,only Sinestro was 8-2 against harley IMO

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I think it depends on what you mean by viable to be honest.

If you intend to compete in tournaments for money and are very serious then you should have any possible option covered and in that case, no it's probably not viable to play as only Harley.

If you intend to play online ranked and vs friends and such, then Id say yes for the most part. I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression she doesnt really have any massively one sided (7-3 or worse) MUs in the game right now.. 6/4s are still very manageable and ultimately skill and ability still counts for more than a 6/4 most of the time. King illustrated this just recently vs Tekken Master.. he picked Batman into Fate, lost and tried to counterpick into Deadshot.. and that quite possibly cost him a LOT.

MUs are figured (or are supposed to be figured) up at the absolute top level of play, so MU charts in descending levels look very different, and change as you get stronger as a player.

I feel like, ifyou want to play only Harley, you'd probably be better off, and you'd win more and git gudder more, than picking up a character you aren't really "into" , and solely have around for a couple/three MUs or whatever in Ranked play where there isn't that much on the line in the first place. The time spent bringing a non-harley from 0-80% or something could be better spent taking your Harley from like 85%- 98% or someshit, if you see what I'm saying. Unless you're a REALLY good already (not saying you aren't I don't know you at all) and don't have much room left to improve - which I'm not sure is a thing in fighting games to begin with.

Ive tended to bounce around and look to other characters to solve some issue I perceive needs solving and the end result has been.. well, let's just call it ineffective. Whats applicable to me may not be to you though.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy

If you intend to compete in tournaments for money and are very serious then you should have any possible option covered and in that case, no it's probably not viable to play as only Harley.

If you intend to play online ranked and vs friends and such, then Id say yes for the most part. I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression she doesnt really have any massively one sided (7-3 or worse) MUs in the game right now.. 6/4s are still very manageable and ultimately skill and ability still counts for more than a 6/4 most of the time. King illustrated this just recently vs Tekken Master.. he picked Batman into Fate, lost and tried to counterpick into Deadshot.. and that quite possibly cost him a LOT.

MUs are figured (or are supposed to be figured) up at the absolute top level of play, so MU charts in descending levels look very different, and change as you get stronger as a player.

I feel like, ifyou want to play only Harley, you'd probably be better off, and you'd win more and git gudder more, than picking up a character you aren't really "into" , and solely have around for a couple/three MUs or whatever in Ranked play where there isn't that much on the line in the first place. The time spent bringing a non-harley from 0-80% or something could be better spent taking your Harley from like 85%- 98% or someshit, if you see what I'm saying. Unless you're a REALLY good already (not saying you aren't I don't know you at all) and don't have much room left to improve - which I'm not sure is a thing in fighting games to begin with.

Ive tended to bounce around and look to other characters to solve some issue I perceive needs solving and the end result has been.. well, let's just call it ineffective. Whats applicable to me may not be to you though.
She still loses 7-3 to aqman. And stuggles hard vs quite a few others, but in general this is good advice. As long as ur not the type to get hella salty over loses due to restrictions of your character (like me)

Zyro

Noob

I wouldnt really know how to rate myself yet since i have been waiting for the arrival of the PC version,im still fresh in injustice 2 and most of my harley knowledge is from IGAU 1. I always liked her playstyle and simple cant bring myself to learn other chars when i can improve harley. Though you have a point. She isnt a tournament winning character. Still,it may happen. There were harley players back in IGAU 1 that almost won some tournaments.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
She still loses 7-3 to aqman. And stuggles hard vs quite a few others, but in general this is good advice. As long as ur not the type to get hella salty over loses due to restrictions of your character (like me)
Didn't realize Aqua was such a hard counter. Yeah 7/3s are different imo. It also comes down to enjoyment factor. For instance I play Swamp Thing and he's one of my favorite character in the game now that I've sat down and put his absolute basics together.. but playing him in to some matchups, even even ones sometimes, isn't any FUN. Its miserable and tedious and frustrating. So he's an tertiary character for me.. I just have no interest in playing him in to MUs I find miserable.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Didn't realize Aqua was such a hard counter. Yeah 7/3s are different imo. It also comes down to enjoyment factor. For instance I play Swamp Thing and he's one of my favorite character in the game now that I've sat down and put his absolute basics together.. but playing him in to some matchups, even even ones sometimes, isn't any FUN. Its miserable and tedious and frustrating. So he's an tertiary character for me.. I just have no interest in playing him in to MUs I find miserable.
Same, for me, like flash and cyborg are both 5-5 for harley, but they annoy the shit out of me to the point where it's no fun. I happily counterpick with supergirl for them.

I'd like to toss my 2 cents in on this.

As Entropic was saying, If you plan to play just online,with friends, or even in local events then you can play 1 character and do extremely well if you learn all the ins and outs. Most people don't want to put that much time and effort into 1 character when their is a easy way out (I.E. counter picking,etc).

However if you plan to make a living off fighting games, travel to all the majors, and think you can beat all or go even with all the top players then why not just pick the #1 highest tier character in every fighting game you play. Obviously that would give you the easiest path to victory.

Honestly if you aren't doing this for a living then play whoever you like to play. Don't worry about tiers, match-ups,etc. That is just tools to help you learn to play better. You could stick to Harley and become the best harley in the world and change the face of the meta/tiers in the process. Nobody knows whats going to happen.

I have more to say but its already a wall of text

TLDR; If you are doing this to make money at majors pick top tier. If you are playing for fun/with friends pick the character you enjoy.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I'd like to toss my 2 cents in on this.

As Entropic was saying, If you plan to play just online,with friends, or even in local events then you can play 1 character and do extremely well if you learn all the ins and outs. Most people don't want to put that much time and effort into 1 character when their is a easy way out (I.E. counter picking,etc).

However if you plan to make a living off fighting games, travel to all the majors, and think you can beat all or go even with all the top players then why not just pick the #1 highest tier character in every fighting game you play. Obviously that would give you the easiest path to victory.

Honestly if you aren't doing this for a living then play whoever you like to play. Don't worry about tiers, match-ups,etc. That is just tools to help you learn to play better. You could stick to Harley and become the best harley in the world and change the face of the meta/tiers in the process. Nobody knows whats going to happen.

I have more to say but its already a wall of text

TLDR; If you are doing this to make money at majors pick top tier. If you are playing for fun/with friends pick the character you enjoy.
I like this, hence the like

I like this, hence the like
I think its something people don't really think about. A lot of people who never play anything but casuals or online get far too concerned with playing the absolute strongest character in the game even if they aren't having fun or don't like the character. It's dumb.

trufenix

bye felicia
Why wouldn't you just try and find out? I don't know why you'd need approval to try out a main. If you're really at the "is this character good" stage of picking a main, matchup numbers don't even matter yet. Just ask who you should be worried about running into and what to do.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I think its something people don't really think about. A lot of people who never play anything but casuals or online get far too concerned with playing the absolute strongest character in the game even if they aren't having fun or don't like the character. It's dumb.
Some people do that, problem is they play their fave character realize they suck in some matchups and play top tier exclusively instead. When rather the best option is to play your fave and then play a secondary in their bad matchups. Most people, including me can't stand losing to BS. I love Harley, i'd play her exclusively if I could, but on the other hand I love winning and get mad salty when I lose to BS I can't punish when I already knew they were gonna do it. I'd rather avoid the bs by picking a character better suited for the matchup, so I can punish the bs they throw out.

Some people do that, problem is they play their fave character realize they suck in some matchups and play top tier exclusively instead. When rather the best option is to play your fave and then play a secondary in their bad matchups. Most people, including me can't stand losing to BS. I love Harley, i'd play her exclusively if I could, but on the other hand I love winning and get mad salty when I lose to BS I can't punish when I already knew they were gonna do it. I'd rather avoid the bs by picking a character better suited for the matchup, so I can punish the bs they throw out.
Yeah thats understandable. I personally prefer character loyalty through all the bad stuff, but that's just a personal preference. Everyone has their own way to enjoy playing the game and that is what is important.

I would say that people just picking their favorite character and playing them is overlooked alot nowadays. I hear people all the time say they love character X, read their comics/like their backstory/etc, but cant play them because they arent that good in the game. So they pick a character they are miserable with just because they think they can do better. Which in a lot of casual cases isn't true. They probably end up winning/losing the same amount unfortuantely.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Tiers and matchups only apply at the SonicFox level of gameplay.
So unless you're that good, don't worry much about it.