What's new

Playing Jacqui has made me realize how garbage I am at MK11

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
Made a swap to Jacqui to get away from Scorpion and Sonya and Geras, but man is it rough. Her normals feel so stubby and not as forward advancing as I am used to on the other two characters I mentioned, not to mention getting in on a zoner feels so rough. Watching pros play her, they threaten B2 and dash punch so effectively. As a character, she just makes me think a lot more than the other two I had been playing. It makes me feel like once you have good fundamentals, she is a monster.

tldr: Jacqui makes me use my brain and its a lesson in being humble learning her currently.

Made a swap to Jacqui to get away from Scorpion and Sonya and Geras, but man is it rough. Her normals feel so stubby and not as forward advancing as I am used to on the other two characters I mentioned, not to mention getting in on a zoner feels so rough. Watching pros play her, they threaten B2 and dash punch so effectively. As a character, she just makes me think a lot more than the other two I had been playing. It makes me feel like once you have good fundamentals, she is a monster.

tldr: Jacqui makes me use my brain and its a lesson in being humble learning her currently.
My main is Kabal and i use Jacquie as well. Both of them needs thinking, for me vs zoning is hard as well but all you need to find the pattern in the zoner. For example Jade is very easy to beat with her.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
My main is Kabal and i use Jacquie as well. Both of them needs thinking, for me vs zoning is hard as well but all you need to find the pattern in the zoner. For example Jade is very easy to beat with her.
I am pretty meh against Jade as well with Jacqui. My comfort pick against her is Scorpion.

I try to use the same strat against her as cetrion, basically if she air projectiles and I block it close, punish with dash punch or B2.

If I block anything else, jump like a mad man or dash punch just short and get punished. Its truly like I am learning the game again for the first time. Her D1 is stubby as balls.

I complain, but Jacqui has plenty of strengths and I just need to leverage them better.

xKMMx

Banned

Ive been playing her for a while now and I had the same observations when I first started playing her.

I had a similar experience with Blood God Kotal in MKX for differnet reasons because he was a 50/50 less character in a game built around mix up and rushdown. I had to learn to be really patient with him against heavy zoners and really creative with him in close.

What you will find once you get her spacing and pressure down is people will begin to be terriefied of pushing a button on their turn.

Ive been playing her for a while now and I had the same observations when I first started playing her.

I had a similar experience with Blood God Kotal in MKX for differnet reasons because he was a 50/50 less character in a game built around mix up and rushdown. I had to learn to be really patient with him against heavy zoners and really creative with him in close.

What you will find once you get her spacing and pressure down is people will begin to be terriefied of pushing a button on their turn.
Totally agree, two-three punish in the corner with her and the opponent just stay on block after wake up..

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
Even better, you can bait a wake up in the corner with jump 3, timed correctly will catch the majority of U2 / U3's (If they have a poor hitbox) and can also catch the roll forward out of the corner.

I learned this the hard way from a Shao Khan player I have been training with.

If you catch their wake up and then toss them back in the corner there is a real chance of them having PTSD post match.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Getting on a zoner with jacqui feels rough? Git g00d
Dude, why?

That Topic had a good conversation going and now you have to throw out stuff like that that helps nobody at all...….

instead of "git g00d" you could have gave him tips on HOW to close in on a zoner as Jacqui. Something like "use b2,2, dashpunsh, duck a lot if they have high projectiles, slowly walk them into the corner". But nope, you rather post childish stuff......smh

I will never understand an attitude like you have with those "git good" posts...….never

E

Eldriken

Dude, why?

That Topic had a good conversation going and now you have to throw out stuff like that that helps nobody at all...….

instead of "git g00d" you could have gave him tips on HOW to close in on a zoner as Jacqui. Something like "use b2,2, dashpunsh, duck a lot if they have high projectiles, slowly walk them into the corner". But nope, you rather post childish stuff......smh

I will never understand an attitude like you have with those "git good" posts...….never
It's people thinking they're clever. I don't understand it either. If you're gonna tell someone to get better, tell them how.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Dude, why?

You must be a new internet user since you take everything everone says on this site so fucking seriously.
It wasn't that hard to realize that it was kinda of a joke, try to pull that stick out of your ass sometimes ;)

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
You must be a new internet user since you take everything everone says on this site so fucking seriously.
It wasn't that hard to realize that it was kinda of a joke, try to pull that stick out of your ass sometimes ;)
No I´m not a new internet user, I just don´t let stupid stuff slide and go against it.

If it would have been a joke then there would have been at least a Smiley of some sort or a JK at the end. And even then was your comment absolutely not helping at all.

Anyways, this is off Topic and for me our discussion is finished

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Does dash punch crush low projectiles? If that's the case it simply adds to how I kinda feel like it's insanely overrated how she struggles against zoning. I'm not saying the lack of projectile isn't a factor but come on. Having a 240 dmg fast advancing safe on block special is INSANE. I play Next Gen Jacqui sometimes, and while she does have a projectile it's mostly a setup tool as it travels slowly and does not go full screen, it does help midscreen.

No one can make zoning characters hesitate midscreen like Jacqui does. Well Scorpion obviously lul. And before people start with the "omg man they can neutral duck and d2 me lul", just realize that this change in behavior from a zoner is what you WANT. You want them to STOP their BS. It also opens up for them to be clipped by b2 in the midscreen, a move that has insane range and combo starts. You can even combo from b22 in the corner. She's arguably one of the rushdowns who navigates zoning the easiest lul

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
I actually play both Jacqui and Skarlet, so I've had to fight zoners with her and fight Jacquis with a zoner.
I like everyone thought she struggled with zoning too but being on both sides of her, I'm starting to think that it's actually the zoner who is kinda screwed once you unleash her full potential. At least Skarlet, she's so few options to deal with a Jacqui outside of zoning.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
I actually play both Jacqui and Skarlet, so I've had to fight zoners with her and fight Jacquis with a zoner.
I like everyone thought she struggled with zoning too but being on both sides of her, I'm starting to think that it's actually the zoner who is kinda screwed once you unleash her full potential. At least Skarlet, she's so few options to deal with a Jacqui outside of zoning.

I think she has a decent approach against zoners for the most part, considering how fast dash punch or a dash canceled B2 can get ripped out, but both of those moves still get hit by a projectile and nothing stops the zoner from using the space they have to slow your approach and you have to get in again, especially since a lot of throws and combos end in an almost full screen knockback.

It’s definitely a “learn to play” issue, and it’s not like she doesn’t have options. Specifically Shang and Sonya that give me particular issues, but even that is a lack of experience problem.

Zoners don’t exactly have it great it this game with all the teleports, basically everyone having projectiles, and the fast moving long distance specials like dash punch, Liu Lang kick, etc.

Not only that, Jacqui really makes up for it with how rock solid she is close up.

Like I said, going from not caring about projectiles as Scorpion to playing Jacqui and being unfamiliar with the use of her B2 and Dash Punch as well as having a more solid offense that once I get it, I actually stay in, was a big change up.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
I think she has a decent approach against zoners for the most part, considering how fast dash punch or a dash canceled B2 can get ripped out, but both of those moves still get hit by a projectile and nothing stops the zoner from using the space they have to slow your approach and you have to get in again, especially since a lot of throws and combos end in an almost full screen knockback.

It’s definitely a “learn to play” issue, and it’s not like she doesn’t have options. Specifically Shang and Sonya that give me particular issues, but even that is a lack of experience problem.

Zoners don’t exactly have it great it this game with all the teleports, basically everyone having projectiles, and the fast moving long distance specials like dash punch, Liu Lang kick, etc.

Not only that, Jacqui really makes up for it with how rock solid she is close up.

Like I said, going from not caring about projectiles as Scorpion to playing Jacqui and being unfamiliar with the use of her B2 and Dash Punch as well as having a more solid offense that once I get it, I actually stay in, was a big change up.
What made me love Jacqui is how purposeful you have to be and how rewarding every successful hit feels. The threat of that b2 and dash punch keeps zoners in check so well.
Sonya will definitely be a nightmare though, she has better range, better mix, better damage and very fast zoning that can krush. I'm afraid (at least until patch) that one is an uphill battle imo. I haven't actually played a lot of Shangs with Jacqui so i'm not too sure how I feel about that one but in theory I can definitely see that being a challenge for Jacqui too.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
What made me love Jacqui is how purposeful you have to be and how rewarding every successful hit feels. The threat of that b2 and dash punch keeps zoners in check so well.
Sonya will definitely be a nightmare though, she has better range, better mix, better damage and very fast zoning that can krush. I'm afraid (at least until patch) that one is an uphill battle imo. I haven't actually played a lot of Shangs with Jacqui so i'm not too sure how I feel about that one but in theory I can definitely see that being a challenge for Jacqui too.
Yeah, Sonya's zoning is just icing on the cake for her kit. Sonya is just Sonya these days and it is what it is.

Yeah, Sonya's zoning is just icing on the cake for her kit. Sonya is just Sonya these days and it is what it is.
Jacqui can put up a fight against most zoners unless their Sonya and sometimes Jade. Both Jade and Sonya have some solid projectiles that are hard to react to if you’re not careful to duck or block them. When fighting them, you mostly have to be patience and wait your turn while treading lightly. Use the interactables in the stages along with dash punch. Once you’re in stay in their space. If you like, you can also join the MK11_JAC discord on discordapp.com for tips, strategies, and combos with Jacqui.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don’t think she requires more thinking necessarily, she just is played different. She doesn’t really have mashable longer pokes. So you have to adjust your play to stop someone from advancing. I find myself jumping a lot with her because people will throw out pokes a lot vs her or advancing normals. Plus she has very good and easy air to air conversions.

So basically, I think she just plays differently than your typical “I’m gonna abuse my pokes” character. Which to be fair, most pokes are insanely good in MK11 so when you use a character that doesn’t have the greatest pokes, it can feel like a handicap.

Like there’s been MANY time where I switch to someone like Scorpion who has one of the best d4’s in the game and I’m like “thank GOD I can actually use a good poke now”. Although with all that said, Jacqui’s d3 is actually surprisingly really good the more I use it.

I don’t think she requires more thinking necessarily, she just is played different. She doesn’t really have mashable longer pokes. So you have to adjust your play to stop someone from advancing. I find myself jumping a lot with her because people will throw out pokes a lot vs her or advancing normals. Plus she has very good and easy air to air conversions.

So basically, I think she just plays differently than your typical “I’m gonna abuse my pokes” character. Which to be fair, most pokes are insanely good in MK11 so when you use a character that doesn’t have the greatest pokes, it can feel like a handicap.

Like there’s been MANY time where I switch to someone like Scorpion who has one of the best d4’s in the game and I’m like “thank GOD I can actually use a good poke now”. Although with all that said, Jacqui’s d3 is actually surprisingly really good the more I use it.
Can that be because Jacqui’s range isn’t the best? I even remember during her KK stream NRS said she didn't have the best range.