What's new

Play DOOM Eternal

@Plays2_MX That looks fantastic!

I got the new patch as well, but of course it doesn't add any new graphics modes to my Xbox One X version. A year or so down the road when I pick up an Xbox Series X, then I'll be able to do 1800p (upscaled to 4K) with Ray Tracing, and I'm looking forward to that.

I actually recently finished a third playthrough of the game, Main Campaign and both DLC; my second time on Ultra-Violence.

I'm really pleased with how well my gameplay and combat flow have improved. In the main Campaign, I finished with 9 Extra Lives in reserve, and didn't need to use Sentinel Armour once to pass a boss. Traditionally, I've need Sentinel Armour against the Khan Makyr and Icon of Sin and have squat for Extra Lives left.

For the DLC, the Seraphim is still beyond me without Sentinel Armour, but all other levels I was floating a least one Extra Life for much of it. I also died several times in the later parts of the Dark Lord battle, but finally did it.

My movement, quick switching, and equipment use have greatly improved.

@Plays2_MX That looks fantastic!

I got the new patch as well, but of course it doesn't add any new graphics modes to my Xbox One X version. A year or so down the road when I pick up an Xbox Series X, then I'll be able to do 1800p (upscaled to 4K) with Ray Tracing, and I'm looking forward to that.

I actually recently finished a third playthrough of the game, Main Campaign and both DLC; my second time on Ultra-Violence.

I'm really pleased with how well my gameplay and combat flow have improved. In the main Campaign, I finished with 9 Extra Lives in reserve, and didn't need to use Sentinel Armour once to pass a boss. Traditionally, I've need Sentinel Armour against the Khan Makyr and Icon of Sin and have squat for Extra Lives left.

For the DLC, the Seraphim is still beyond me without Sentinel Armour, but all other levels I was floating a least one Extra Life for much of it. I also died several times in the later parts of the Dark Lord battle, but finally did it.

My movement, quick switching, and equipment use have greatly improved.
Nice! The more you master the gameplay, the more you'll enjoy the game. And there's a guy in YT called SmvR. That guy is a monster playing Doom Eternal on Ultra Nightmare on PS4. I learned most of his stuff and applied that with the PC version (He also has a PC UN run, he's nuts).

EDIT: Oh, and the Taras Nabad Master Level is nuts. Doom Eternal is screaming for a horde mode after playing that master level.

Nice! The more you master the gameplay, the more you'll enjoy the game. And there's a guy in YT called SmvR. That guy is a monster playing Doom Eternal on Ultra Nightmare on PS4. I learned most of his stuff and applied that with the PC version (He also has a PC UN run, he's nuts).

EDIT: Oh, and the Taras Nabad Master Level is nuts. Doom Eternal is screaming for a horde mode after playing that master level.
I may try the main Campaign on Nightmare at some point, though not the DLC yet. Ultra-Nightmare, a perma-death state, is a game mode I personally won't play for any game. That's personally not my thing.

I may try the main Campaign on Nightmare at some point, though not the DLC yet. Ultra-Nightmare, a perma-death state, is a game mode I personally won't play for any game. That's personally not my thing.
I only did UN on both DLCs. The campaign is a chore tho and I always die on Exultia .

On another note, whoever designed that part with 2 shielded Archviles on the Taras Nabad Master Level deserves to step on Legos for a full day!

I only did UN on both DLCs. The campaign is a chore tho and I always die on Exultia .

On another note, whoever designed that part with 2 shielded Archviles on the Taras Nabad Master Level deserves to step on Legos for a full day!
I'm not sure if you watch Hugo Martin's streams, but they've been warning about that Archvile room for months now. Apparently it's toned down from what it originally was.

Zviko

Noob
I can't wait to play Taras Nabad Master Level as well but I really want to finish TAG1 UN first. I was hoping to finish it before the release and failed but because I'm stubborn af which I hate, I have to do it now before I move on.

I'm not sure if you watch Hugo Martin's streams, but they've been warning about that Archvile room for months now. Apparently it's toned down from what it originally was.
It was still interesting to play that part lmao. After dying like 5 times there are 2 ways to kill the Archviles: 2 BFG shots or kill both Tyrants and that will make both shields disappear. The last arena is insane tho, almost 10 minutes of non-stop demon killing.

EDIT: I also recommend saving both 2 Crucible shots and 2 BFG cells to shut down those archvilles quick. That brought PTSD memories from Map 11 from Plutonia.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Who is still playing Doom Eternal? I’ve been replaying it on Xbox Series X (decided to try this one since the PS4 save date doesn’t transfer to PS5 anyway, mother fuckers), and it’s still the best combat in any game ever.

Only bad part of Eternal is it makes 2016 so much retroactively worse. Not having dash, not having to earn your armor with flame belch, or earn your ammo with chainsaw, or not having the weak point system, no meat hook for plethora of things it adds to the game, or tons of ways to falter, I feel so disengaged with the game’s systems compared to Eternal. It is still a great game, but gives you no reason to do anything other than SSG and gaus cannon the entire game due to the absurd ammo capacities. It gets the power fantasy right, and to be clear I still love that game, it’s like an 8/10, but man id software knows how to make a fun and deep shooter. I’ll get through a hard arena in eternal and look back on it and realize that I was making all these smart decisions on the spot.
I’ve changed my tune on the marauder obviously, he is a great addition to the game and sorely missed in 2016. My only problem with Eternal still is the buff totems, I’d rather an Archville be there instead each time. Game of the year for last year, and I still haven’t played anything that good this year.

Who is still playing Doom Eternal? I’ve been replaying it on Xbox Series X (decided to try this one since the PS4 save date doesn’t transfer to PS5 anyway, mother fuckers), and it’s still the best combat in any game ever.

Only bad part of Eternal is it makes 2016 so much retroactively worse. Not having dash, not having to earn your armor with flame belch, or earn your ammo with chainsaw, or not having the weak point system, no meat hook for plethora of things it adds to the game, or tons of ways to falter, I feel so disengaged with the game’s systems compared to Eternal. It is still a great game, but gives you no reason to do anything other than SSG and gaus cannon the entire game due to the absurd ammo capacities. It gets the power fantasy right, and to be clear I still love that game, it’s like an 8/10, but man id software knows how to make a fun and deep shooter. I’ll get through a hard arena in eternal and look back on it and realize that I was making all these smart decisions on the spot.
I’ve changed my tune on the marauder obviously, he is a great addition to the game and sorely missed in 2016. My only problem with Eternal still is the buff totems, I’d rather an Archville be there instead each time. Game of the year for last year, and I still haven’t played anything that good this year.
I do, but inconsistently right now. I didn't know you picked up an Xbox Series X either, congrats! They're impossible to find here, and I'm still using an Xbox One X.

Interestingly, I'm doing a playthrough of DOOM (2016) for the first time since I got DOOM: Eternal. It's still great and fun, but more traditional FPS corridor crawl over DOOM: Eternal. The sequel clearly has a very different design direction and player engagement and is, in my opinion, the superior game there, while (2016) had the better atmosphere, story, and monster aesthetics.

I'd personally prefer a Buff Totem over an Archville though. Have you played the DLC Campaigns yet?

Zviko

Noob

I haven't played in a while. I'm done with all the content on UN so the only thing left for me are mods like randomizer but it's annoying that every little update messes them up and then need to wait for a fix and install them again, plus there are many bugs as well. So I'm just waiting for 2 new Master Levels and Horde Mode now which is taking forever. So long that I'm probably completely out of practice already and will probably struggle a lot when they release it.

Agree with the 2016 comparison and yeah I haven't played anything as good as Eternal yet either and it's gonna be really hard to beat since it's currently my top 1 game of all time.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I do, but inconsistently right now. I didn't know you picked up an Xbox Series X either, congrats! They're impossible to find here, and I'm still using an Xbox One X.

Interestingly, I'm doing a playthrough of DOOM (2016) for the first time since I got DOOM: Eternal. It's still great and fun, but more traditional FPS corridor crawl over DOOM: Eternal. The sequel clearly has a very different design direction and player engagement and is, in my opinion, the superior game there, while (2016) had the better atmosphere, story, and monster aesthetics.

I'd personally prefer a Buff Totem over an Archville though. Have you played the DLC Campaigns yet?
Playing the dlc now because I wanted to wait for a new system. And I totally like the DOOM 2016 aesthetic, and like it is nicer than the Eternal one except for a few levels like Doom Hunter Base or Urdak or UAC Atlantica as a few examples for really taking the visuals to the next level.
And the Xbox Series X is really nice, great value for the price and all of the game pass and remote play stuff is stuff I used to imagine would be cool but never saw it coming.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I haven't played in a while. I'm done with all the content on UN so the only thing left for me are mods like randomizer but it's annoying that every little update messes them up and then need to wait for a fix and install them again, plus there are many bugs as well. So I'm just waiting for 2 new Master Levels and Horde Mode now which is taking forever. So long that I'm probably completely out of practice already and will probably struggle a lot when they release it.

Agree with the 2016 comparison and yeah I haven't played anything as good as Eternal yet either and it's gonna be really hard to beat since it's currently my top 1 game of all time.
Dang I think I’m decent at the game but still haven’t done UN. I can only play games maybe 2-3 hours a week so I’m still not great at it. Easily on the top 10 percentile especially for controller players, but I come out of practice so much I mostly just play on Ultra Violence, sometimes I breeze through an encounter too easily, but I don’t play enough to get that muscle memory to really level up. And maybe I’m just bad haha

Dang I think I’m decent at the game but still haven’t done UN. I can only play games maybe 2-3 hours a week so I’m still not great at it. Easily on the top 10 percentile especially for controller players, but I come out of practice so much I mostly just play on Ultra Violence, sometimes I breeze through an encounter too easily, but I don’t play enough to get that muscle memory to really level up. And maybe I’m just bad haha
Enjoying the game like that is what counts hehe. I enjoy playing this game at Nightmare and UN but many people enjoy it at lower difficulties. That's what I like about this game.

Can't wait for Horde mode tho. I think that mode will cater to everyone, specially players looking for more insane challenges that would top TAG1 and the Master Levels.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Enjoying the game like that is what counts hehe. I enjoy playing this game at Nightmare and UN but many people enjoy it at lower difficulties. That's what I like about this game.

Can't wait for Horde mode tho. I think that mode will cater to everyone, specially players looking for more insane challenges that would top TAG1 and the Master Levels.
It is really satisfying getting better, and the game pushes you to get better without even consciously realizing it, then I look back on an encounter, or maybe I killed a demon a little quicker than I typically have, or made a better decision with my positioning during a high pressure situation, or just about anything really. Like I said, I replayed from scratch on XBSX on ultra violence, and had a far easier time than my intial play-through on PS4. Between my job and weight lifting protocol, combined with a long commute, I've really been strapped for time. I work in the schools, so on Christmas break I plan to go in on some Halo Infinite, Far Cry 6, Battlefield 2042, and yep... still some DOOM Eternal.

@Dankster Morgan Empathy on the long commute. Mine's a three hour round trip :(.

Ultra-Violence is also my jam, though I have been debating trying the base Campaign on Nightmare. I'd never attempt Ultra-Nightmare as I'm not down with game modes that are one life and dead (learned that lesson with Diablo II and Hardcore mode back in 2000).

I'm also excited for Halo: Infinite. The feedback from the last three flights has been excellent. It looks like they really stepped up with its development over the last year.

It’s so a part of halo for the vast majority of games and I like what it brings to multiplayer which is where most time is spent anyways so it is what it is. Just excited for infinite at this point and I genuinely love every game but 5, and ODST which is good but overrated.
Sir, this is a Doom Eternal thread :p

Jk.

I bought the MCC months ago but haven't had enough time to sink into the games. I've only played CE as of now but I was having fun. It would be interesting to play it at the highest difficulty hehe.

Zviko

Noob
What do you guys think of the new update? I finally had some time during the weekend to get through it all. Horde mode is still fun after 3 runs but only because there's a lot of room for improvement score wise and those arenas towards the end are really fun. Blitz and traversal rounds already got old. Arenas really need demon randomization as well. Weapon only isn't good enough for replayability imo. More score multipliers as well like the most obvious one, chaining kills. How is that not a thing? Also, I expected this to be an endless fighting of waves that get harder the further you get so I'm a bit disappointed.

Mars Core was a bit disappointing difficulty wise as well. It was consistent through the level but after every encounter I was like, "that's it?". It felt like a tiny bit better Arc Complex which is obviously the weakest Master Level. Maybe my expectations were too high after Taras Nabad ML but still, could be better.

World Spear is exactly what a Master Level should be. It didn't really kick my ass, I didn't need to think about BFG, I think Taras Nabad and SGN are still harder mainly because of those tight rooms which aren't really fun anyway. There aren't many of those in this one and those that are are fair and fun. Fun wise though, it easily tops it. Definitely my favorite level in the game now.

I gave Horde a serious go last night, and dang that's a fun and challenging mode! I did better than brief attempt a week-ish prior, made it to the end of Reclaimed Earth but lost out in the final arena. So I still have to brush my game up more, but I'm enjoying the challenge.

I'm not a fan of the traversal challenges, but thankfully they're optional.

@Zviko Hugo in a recent stream said the challenge isn't in random monsters, memorization is a part of this mode's play. It's solving the combat puzzles presented to you with limited and random weapons. He did say that every few seasons, they may switch the waves up, as they can (relatively) easily do that.

Update: He also went on to say that not everything is designed to be insanely challenging and only for the best of the best players. The Master Levels are designed to be crushing hard and for only the elite to be able to conquer at the hardest difficulty. Horde is designed to be challenging, but certainly more overall community inclusive.

Zviko

Noob
@Zviko Hugo in a recent stream said the challenge isn't in random monsters, memorization is a part of this mode's play.
Yeah I figured that out quite fast, it's just not what I expected this mode will be. As a UN player, memorization is the first and main thing you learn before attempting it. I've done that with every campaign and master level already so I wanted Horde mode to be something different than that. More randomness in encounters means being able to adapt to what weapons you have and how to kill whatever spawned. That's a different kind of skill and for me personally that sounds a lot more fun.