What's new

Play DOOM Eternal

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
it would be nice if melee worked for the fodder enemies, but after you get used to the pace it doesn't really matter imo. chainsaw kills and glory kills will create a fluid melody for using blood punches when you need it.

This thread has inspired me to check the reboot series out. I never played Doom (2016), as my PC's hardware was below the minimum when it came out and I didn't own a current generation console. I upgraded my PC a year ago for Mortal Kombat 11, and currently own an Xbox One X, so that's no longer an issue!

I got around to trying the Doom (2016) PC demo last night. The graphics are fantastic, and I only played on the default settings the game set for me (mostly High and Medium). GeForce Experience can't optimize it because it's the demo, it seems, but it's showing I should be running a lot of stuff on Ultra and High, so I'm going to write its Optimized settings down and try them later.

For the gameplay, I'm a massive fan of The Ultimate Doom, and this game feels like a more faithful reboot of it over Doom 3 (which I also loved), but having said that, some of the mechanics feel odd to me, and the overall gameplay seemed just okay. Not awful or anything, but nothing to write home about. I'm not understanding all the hype around the reboot franchise based off my initial experience with the demo, but I want to give it another go on a harder difficulty.

I also noticed the game has an Open GL and a Vulkan mode. I've never used Vulkan before. For those of you in the know, what's the general difference between the two versions?

My system is:

• Intel Core i5 4440 @ 3.10 GHz (this is my system's weakest link, and just above the game's minimum requirement)
  • 16 GB of (I believe) DDR3 Ram
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC 6G with the latest drivers
  • Traditional, non-SSD HDD
  • Windows 10 Home November 2019 Update
I'm also curious how the PC version on my system compares to the Xbox One X version, as the Xbox One version of the game is currently on sale for 50% off.

This thread has inspired me to check the reboot series out. I never played Doom (2016), as my PC's hardware was below the minimum when it came out and I didn't own a current generation console. I upgraded my PC a year ago for Mortal Kombat 11, and currently own an Xbox One X, so that's no longer an issue!

I got around to trying the Doom (2016) PC demo last night. The graphics are fantastic, and I only played on the default settings the game set for me (mostly High and Medium). GeForce Experience can't optimize it because it's the demo, it seems, but it's showing I should be running a lot of stuff on Ultra and High, so I'm going to write its Optimized settings down and try them later.

For the gameplay, I'm a massive fan of The Ultimate Doom, and this game feels like a more faithful reboot of it over Doom 3 (which I also loved), but having said that, some of the mechanics feel odd to me, and the overall gameplay seemed just okay. Not awful or anything, but nothing to write home about. I'm not understanding all the hype around the reboot franchise based off my initial experience with the demo, but I want to give it another go on a harder difficulty.

I also noticed the game has an Open GL and a Vulkan mode. I've never used Vulkan before. For those of you in the know, what's the general difference between the two versions?

My system is:

• Intel Core i5 4440 @ 3.10 GHz (this is my system's weakest link, and just above the game's minimum requirement)
  • 16 GB of (I believe) DDR3 Ram
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC 6G with the latest drivers
  • Traditional, non-SSD HDD
  • Windows 10 Home November 2019 Update
I'm also curious how the PC version on my system compares to the Xbox One X version, as the Xbox One version of the game is currently on sale for 50% off.
Vulkan gives you better performance. You should get more fps if it's enabled.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
yeah when u do the quick switch method with super shotty and ballista he gets melted. he wasn't an issue at all during my nightmare run. tech af.

Saw a guy yesterday doing another combo: SSG+Grenade+Ballista+SSG+Grenade+Ballista and he deleted the Marauder in mere seconds.

And now here I am searching several different mixes, gamerips and official cuts of Doom Eternal's soundtrack hoping I come across the perfect track that has all the bits I like with a great ending.

This is why I said I like Mick's work but I'm also frustrated by it and whoever decided to throw game quotes into the official cuts need to have their hands smacked by a ruler, Nun style.

aj1701

Noob
Just a little run against the Marauder. He's easy once you know how to bait his attacks.
Damn, he annoyed the fuck out of me, but I kept trying to do what the tutorial said and never bothered to look online to see if any other tactics worked, lol.

I liked the game alot, felt alot like classic doom, just like 2016 did. I did miss though that you never were really surprised with monsters, you always knew from the map what areas had them and in between there usually wasn't anything to worry about. Same thing with the secrets; you couldn't really miss the automap, so you never really could miss any of the secret stuff.

Agreed with the buff totems, they were just dumb. The arch vile could be irritating as well, I'd die until I eventually learn where & when he'd spawn, then i'd just bfg him immediately.

Slayer gates were fun, except when I beat one and the game crashed and had to do it again. That happened on a different one too, but fortunately the key was there for me to pick up that time. Arc complex was buggy as hell; I had to replay the parking garage eight times before I was able to get to the checkpoint and save before it crashed out.

There's a single player expansion coming for free as well, at least part 1 is. I think next week, looking forward to that.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In retrospect, the arch vile was the biggest piece of shit, but I liked his place on the chess board so to speak. He, like the Marauder, demands attention. The developers did an extremely good job of designing the arenas and enemy composition in such a way that there is a clear priority for you to deal with but still allows a lot of creativity.

The Marauder can be somewhat trivialized if you use the weapon switch method with the super shotgun and ballista, but he will still fuck your shit if you get distracted and lose track of him.

Maybe it’s the novelty of Doom 2016 but I can’t shake the feeling that I feel like I enjoyed Doom 2016 a bit more. I spent 147 hours in that game. Doom Eternal...I spent around 50 hours. I recently tried playing Doom Eternal again and I couldn’t really get hooked. I think all that platforming and puzzle solving limits the replayability. It’s also a bit linear. Doom 2016...I loved playing that game over and over again. So much fun.

aj1701

Noob
No, I think you're right. I did like 2016 more than this one as well, but for me I don't think it was the platforming and puzzle solving; those to me were also important parts of d1&2.

The levels were a bit linear I think; they were all basically just arenas linked by fancy passageways. You fight in this part of the level, and this part is the platforming, then back to a fight room.

I'd love to see them add a bit more of the horror element of doom 3 back; I know that one got a lot of flak for monster closets & jump scares, but the originals had a bit of that too... just walk into a room and the lights go out and a door opens in back of you.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Interesting, I actually much preferred Eternal! For the same reasons you guys didn't like it as much. I liked the puzzles, the platforming, the exploration was just enough, and to be perfectly honest, I liked how linear it was. Reason being, I was craving the next combat encounter. I think the art design was even better with more detailed locations.

Most importantly though, the vastly improved combat. It made all options necessary and viable. In 2016, once I could hold 60 shells with the super shotgun, I was set. The limited ammo capacity made me use everything and I had much more fun constantly switching.... which brings me to the next point: the chainsaw is now useful. In 2016 it was just there for occasionally one hitting pain in the ass enemies, it still does that, but now NEEDS to be used for ammo. The flame belch is there for armor, adding another layer to glory killing enemies for health, just more to think about. The base melee being shit encourages use of glory kills to get blood punch. The meat hook on the super shotty, the dash, new more vertical and varied arenas with monkey bars and all sorts of crazy shit. I dont know man, it's just hard to go back to 2016 in terms of the arenas and gunplay.

Whiiiich says a lot because that game is still incredible. I also wish there were more horror aspects to it, when I play TLOU 2 (by no means a horror game but can be intense and create a sense of dread), I get pumped and kind of angry in a fight or flight kind of mode, which I think would do a lot for a game like DOOM to add another layer of intensity and investment into the fights that are already very frantic and desperate. However, it would be hard to do that without ruining the tone. The Slayer is supposed to be the ultimate badass, that's the entire point of the story, if there is a monster that undermines or emasculates the Slayer, that would ruin the point of the game being a FPS power trip.

aj1701

Noob
Kingjolly didn't like the platforming/puzzles, but I did. Just felt like the levels were a bit too linear. Original doom had huge parts of some levels that you didn't actually need to ever go into if you knew the way, that I miss.

I 100% agree with the combat changes; using chainsaw for ammo (although that made some fights, like the marauder more annoying), flame for armor & glory kill for health, it really fit together well.

I think they could add a bit more horror without ruining the tone; doomguy doesn't need to be scared by it in game, but we as players could still be creeped out.

Now i'm wondering if my minor complaints are valid; I haven't actually played 2016 doom since it first came out, so maybe I'm just thinking I liked it better.... but I'm pretty sure I finished that game without having any complaints, so maybe my issues with eternal are valid.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Most issues with anything are valid since it's so subjective.

As for the horror thing, sure it wouldn't be like the Slayer is scared, but if the player is, that ruins the illusion of being the Slayer.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'd be up for one of the DLCs being more horror centric. Maybe you don't even play as the slayer, a straight up survival horror game in this universe with these enemies just not playing as the slayer would be genuinely terrifying. I don't even know if I'd play it lmao sounds so unpleasant. But effective.

Nulak

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nulak
Doom Eternal feels like i'm playing Q3arena maps with bots. Stuck in a arena with invisible walls until the script (usually kill all demons) is complete, ala DMC games. An heresy to me.
I really think a real new DOOM is impossible to make because of the technical barriers. (and because games now need to be realease on console at the same time)

Maybe in some years...

Until then Doom eternal / 2016 are just another classic generic FPS to me. Still, i enjoyed both.

Damn, he annoyed the fuck out of me, but I kept trying to do what the tutorial said and never bothered to look online to see if any other tactics worked, lol.

I liked the game alot, felt alot like classic doom, just like 2016 did. I did miss though that you never were really surprised with monsters, you always knew from the map what areas had them and in between there usually wasn't anything to worry about. Same thing with the secrets; you couldn't really miss the automap, so you never really could miss any of the secret stuff.

Agreed with the buff totems, they were just dumb. The arch vile could be irritating as well, I'd die until I eventually learn where & when he'd spawn, then i'd just bfg him immediately.

Slayer gates were fun, except when I beat one and the game crashed and had to do it again. That happened on a different one too, but fortunately the key was there for me to pick up that time. Arc complex was buggy as hell; I had to replay the parking garage eight times before I was able to get to the checkpoint and save before it crashed out.

There's a single player expansion coming for free as well, at least part 1 is. I think next week, looking forward to that.
The Marauder can still get cheesed out even after the recent updates. Doing the whole SSG+Grenade+Ballista+SSG (Rinse and repeat) can delete him in seconds.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The Marauder can still get cheesed out even after the recent updates. Doing the whole SSG+Grenade+Ballista+SSG (Rinse and repeat) can delete him in seconds.
He can be cheesed but I think he still serves his purpose because 90% of players won't know about this exploit. Guarnteed in the next Doom the Marauder will have something like temporary invulnerability after he is shot once for a few seconds.

He can be cheesed but I think he still serves his purpose because 90% of players won't know about this exploit. Guarnteed in the next Doom the Marauder will have something like temporary invulnerability after he is shot once for a few seconds.
Could be. What I would want atm is the new single-player DLC and a kind of endless horde mode. Doom Eternal's gameplay screams for a horde mode IMO.