What's new

Play DOOM Eternal

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Every single one of you that enjoy FPS need to play this game right now. Good single player FPS are so rare now, especially ones this mechanically deep and interesting. The weapon variety is incredible, every single gun has a use of some kind (except I don't like the Unmaykr), the enemy variety is great and requires full understanding of your arsenal, all of your equipment (grenade, chainsaw, ice bomb, flame belch) are all important and have a place. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a ton of options at your finger tips and all of them are viable and important. The pace is lighting fast, amazing graphics, great sound design, the soundtrack as a whole is also great, the DOOM Slayer is a badass, the demons look awesome and are fun to fight, the lore is there (only if you want it). It improved on the already awesome DOOM 2016 by greatly increasing mobility, providing a better challenge imo, and forcing the player to understand their entire arsenal to succeed especially on higher difficulties. DOOM Eternal is easily in my top 5 games of the console generation and a must play for fans of FPS. DOOM boomers bitch about the platforming but it's not even that intrusive, helps with the pacing of the game in between arenas, it's not hard, and I think makes the Slayer more badass doing these feats of mobility.

My only complaints are:
  • The Marauder: not because he is too hard, because there isn't anything unreasonable about him once you understand him. I just don't like the way he alters the pace of the game, because of the attention his presence demands. But on the other hand he also adds variety, so I can understand why he's there.
  • Buff totems are stupid, nobody can change my mind on this, they aren't THAT hard to deal with, they are just annoying. The only "cheap deaths" in this game come from trying to find the damn totem while you're getting ass blasted by enemies you otherwise understand the mechanics of, they're now just hyper aggressive and strong. Once you know the location of the totems, it's no longer hard, it just becomes tedious and sucks the fun out of the arena because it limits a combat system with a lot of variety to just one thing to do.
Don't let those negatives deter you at all though, totems are rare, this game is amazing.

What I love about this game is the difficulty curve is so clean and goes upward from 0 to seemingly infinity, but it's always good at making you just strong enough to handle the next more difficult batch of enemies

It was this cycle with me:

1. "Ok, I barely survived that, if they throw even a slightly larger and tougher group of baddies at me, then there's no way I'll get past that"
  2. The game throws an even large bunch of demons at you,
  3. Repeat at step 1... Until you're fighting the Icon of Sin on Nightmare difficulty and realize the game has literally made you unstoppable to the point it can't render enough enemies simultaneously to take you down.
And it's not just because you keep getting more upgrades/weapons as you go, which is kinda a cheap way that many games simulate this same power cycle without actually being real. Going to the next difficulty level up starts you without your upgrades and you reach close to your maximum power halfway through the campaign. It's really the game itself turning you into an unstoppable force of nature.

RE the Marauder:

On the fence about him. What irks me is the tutorial strongly encourages you to try to actively sit in his mid range to bait the counterable, while most players I see who dispatch this fool the fastest sit at long range and let HIM come to you because the Marauder AI actively wants to do that after throwing a projectile. So he's the hardest enemy in the game and the tutorial tells the player the wrong way to actually deal with him.

And buff totems are 10000% pointless. Especially given the Arch-Vile exists. It's just making me hop around the stage like an idiot looking for the red glowy thing to smack before I actually start fighting back. If you must do this sort of gameplay just throw in the Arch Vile as it's less a game of hide-and-seek and more dealing with a high-defensive enemy

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Can we talk about how fucking awesome the slayer gates are???

Its so crazy opening one and coming across a demon you have yet to encounter in the main story yet, they're very fun. Doing it for the Unmakyr is kinda underwhelming though, but the arenas are so fun it more than makes up for it.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
i absolutely LOVE Doom Eternal. this game has to be my favorite Doom game easily.

where do i start... everything about this game is what i hoped it to be. fast-paced, intense, strategic, suffocating and challenging. this game does not screw around. you are responsible for managing ALL of your resources appropriately and being fully conscious of your surroundings. there are no breaks in a firefight. you stop and you are most likely going to eat a hefty chunk of damage. While i loved Doom 2016 and it's more freestyle gameplay, i never felt like i was ever being pushed out of my comfort zone. No matter the fight i always could rely on my favorite 2-3 weapons to get the job done. in Doom Eternal, you are actually forced to use pretty much all of your arsenal, since certain demons will go down faster to a specific weapon. All the ammo has been cut in half, but the chainsaw now plays a very important part in the Doom meta since that is your main way of refilling your ammo. This creates for more strategic approaches when taking down waves of demons, especially on harder difficulties. I actually look at Doom Eternal in a similar fashion to MK. there are layers to the game, it involves strategy, fighting each demon is like a different matchup and you need to figure out which tools are best for dealing with each demon or combination of demons in the arena. The enemy is always in your face ready to kill your ass if you don't respond appropriately. There is alot of adaptation to be made throughout the game and being auto-pilot will get you nowhere.

Most of the complaints i've read over Doom Eternal imo are completely passable and just seem like a result of players wanting everything their way or the highway. It is different, it is hard, it is suffocating and it makes you think. Alot of people hate the marauder but what people don't realize is that he is basically an image of the Doom Slayer (you). he is fast, extremely defensive and offensive and will change his attack patterns based on your distance and actions towards him. But then again, isn't that what you as a player are doing as well? Lol! I think he is an obnoxious asshole but he is good for the game and forces you to mix up your strategy. That's easier said than done when you're trying to deal with him when there are imps and gargoyles throwing stuff at you on the side while a possible Hellknight could smack you from behind. Then again, just goes back to the point of being conscious of your surroundings and understanding the patterns of enemies and the arena layout.

I say, 9.5/10 game for me. feels incredibly exhilarating to overcome a big fight especially during the second half of the game till end. The Doom Slayer is also the most badass mofo ever and i've never really been one for fan-fiction. So yeah this game is amazing, would recommend to anyone looking for a new FPS or action game in general.

i beated the game at nightmare and made my review on steam here it is.

The game is very good , very very good. But...

Pros ;

1: Improved combat mechanics, more freedom with movements and new weapons strategy require to defeat demons.
2: More demons and battle damage on enemies physics
3: Better boss fights than DooM 2016
4: GodLike music.
5: Story is better than 2016 but not amazing.
6: The hub is really cool and give you room to breath.
7: The multiplayer is enjoyable but nothing that will keep you playing for long.
8: I liked the puzzles better than 2016.

Cons ; (none are too bad but still need to mention them.)

1: Downgrade secrets compare to 2016, i really liked the retro level using levers from 2016 , there is nothing like that in Eternal.
2: Way too much platforming in certain maps.
3: The UI and when you Weapons Green glowing is kinda bad compare to 2016 realistic picking up weapons from dead soldiers.
4: No Snapmap
5: More bugs in this game than 2016 , invisible doors bugs, invisible collisions etc..

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What was y'alls favorite stage? I think it's the least visually interesting, but ARC Complex is one of the most well paced and fun FPS missions iv ever played. Shit I could say that about most of these. I haven't been this impressed by FPS level design since the Bungie Halo games (aside from Doom 2016 ofc)

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I didn't like the addition of all the "modern" elements in Doom 5. Doom 4, while having some story, it was sorta pushed to the side.. but in this one they went full modern story telling mode with cut sequences, voice overs, walkthroughs and other crap. Plus I wasn't a huge fan of the game loop. Area, platforming, arena.. etc etc. Made the game stop and start. IMO it should have just been constant combat from start to end. Game is still very good, but you can feel the creep of all the BS modern gaming things creeping in. It will not be long until this is just Call of Duty.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I didn't like the addition of all the "modern" elements in Doom 5. Doom 4, while having some story, it was sorta pushed to the side.. but in this one they went full modern story telling mode with cut sequences, voice overs, walkthroughs and other crap. Plus I wasn't a huge fan of the game loop. Area, platforming, arena.. etc etc. Made the game stop and start. IMO it should have just been constant combat from start to end. Game is still very good, but you can feel the creep of all the BS modern gaming things creeping in. It will not be long until this is just Call of Duty.
I agree with your criticisms on the story, but I didn't find it too intrusive. It gives good explanation on why the Slayer is such a badass. I thought the loop was very well paced and I liked the platforming because it leads to exploration and finding secrets which is very fun in between arenas.

I think it's pretty unfair to compare it to Call of Duty though. The new Modern Warfare was a simple corridor shooter with a few moments offering something different, lasting not even a third of the length of this game. Not that there is anything wrong with COD though, MW 2019 is one of the most content rich games out there. DOOM is still very much single player focused and does a much much better job in that regard.

I agree with your criticisms on the story, but I didn't find it too intrusive. It gives good explanation on why the Slayer is such a badass. I thought the loop was very well paced and I liked the platforming because it leads to exploration and finding secrets which is very fun in between arenas.

I think it's pretty unfair to compare it to Call of Duty though. The new Modern Warfare was a simple corridor shooter with a few moments offering something different, lasting not even a third of the length of this game. Not that there is anything wrong with COD though, MW 2019 is one of the most content rich games out there. DOOM is still very much single player focused and does a much much better job in that regard.
yeah both games are great and are different. they are both worth buying imo

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
yeah both games are great and are different. they are both worth buying imo
I love Modern Warfare, most of the people who hate it do just because it's popular and "something something mountain dew". In all actuality, MW 2019 is very good to it's players with a fuck ton of free content, meanwhile people on here are happy getting ass blasted by NRS paying 40 bucks for 6 characters and skins lmao. I haven't paid a cent more than 60 bucks on COD and nobody has anything I don't other than cosmetics. Major props to Infinity Ward.

kevkopdx

Noob
The game is amazing, my only gripe is the platforming... completely takes you out of the game. I would prefer more frequent visits to the hub ship as a respite from the fighting intensity

DeftMonk

Noob
I can totally see your point with those 2 complaints but...I think they were supposed to be frustrating so that when you knock them out of the picture, you get a sense of relief. Game is friggin amazing imo. I dunno why btw but when I stopped trying to use the super shotgun on the marauder and used the railgun or wtfever its called I found it to be a bit easier as you can easily clip him twice with that every time he charges.

3 of them are remakes or squeals of 90s games... just saying. Modern games suck.
I wouldn't necessarily say modern games suck, but I find their target audience simply isn't me anymore, seeing as how I'm an older gamer. The style of games I love generally don't exist anymore, or they do but they're pretty watered down.

So for this reason I find I'm loving and playing remasters even more, because they're older games that I love at their core.

The Mortal Kombat franchise is the only one I've kept current on, though I have been meaning to check DOOM (2016) out.

Hell On Earth
Betrayer
Super Gore Nest
The Only Thing They Fear Is You
Slayer Has Entered The Facility
Sentinel Prime
Gladiator
Ruins of Nekravol
Voices of Urdak

These are the best songs.

DeftMonk

Noob
I love the soundtrack to this game so much but...one reason I don't listen to other musing and instead prefer the ost is because of how it dynamically changes with ur hp. For instance if u have like no hp then blood punch a big group and jump back to full it starts playing super intense music that makes you feel like "YAAA IM BACK IN THIS LETS GO!". I wish in the options you could change what music plays low hp and high hp. I want it to play guile's theme every time I come out of near death situation.

What usually annoys me about Mick Gordon and Dynamic Music particularly his work in Killer Instinct is that it's fucking great but there is no final mix with all the important bits in it.

You miss a ton of cut content and in Orchid's case extra lyrics if you're listening to the official cut of the KI Soundtrack and so you either deal with it or depend on people trying to stitch the song back together.