What's new

Picking up Kung Lao

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I'm looking at picking up a new character I have learned almost half the roster and have decided to learn Kung Lao what I would like from other players is some help on some certain stuff

-what are his go-to strings and pressure
-what are his primary BNB combos and any corner combos?
-what would you classify Kung Laos archetype?
-Any tips or tricks you feel on new Kung Lao player should know.

I know this is a lot to ask and for those that help me thank you very much I know a lot of people nowadays go on YouTube for video guides. But I always feel that test your might is still that go to plays for help when picking up a new Mortal Kombat character and it's always been my go-to since the days of trying to learn Sindel in Mortal Kombat 9 lol

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
His string for whiffpunishing F21 also has a KB with F214, for close distance i use 21212 or 12 to whiffpunish. (after patch you can combo 121 into mb spin)
For pressure f4 is hitconfirmable and safe. F1 is nice to stagger, compliments F12. F13u2 has a gap but F13 can be cancelled in stuff like projectile (zhat can make it a mid so it catches ppl ducking waiting for the gap to interrupt. Or you can make a hard read end cancel it into mb spin.)
D3 jails in s1 and s2 so thats mostly your go to poke. Also lowprofiles. Good for making jumpins whiff or making wakeup whiff.
B231 is a low starter but has a gap before the last hit, so just like F13 you can adjust and cancel it into special if u read that they gonna try to poke.
For AA i use s1 or d2, depending how high u hit them in the air with d2, u can convert it into combo using d1.

His bnb midscreen:
F4 spin F4 mb spin F4 or sideswitch F4 spin 121 mb spin F4
F13 mb spin J2 F21 spin F4 sideswitch F13 mb spin dash 121 spin F4

Corner:

F4 spin F4 spin 21 mb spin F4

After D2 KB:

dash forward F21 spin F21 mb spin F4

Antiair: D2 D1 21 spin F21mb spin F4
S1 F1 spin F21 mb spin F4

Tip: use his divekick to cover space quicker
If u end combo with F4 u can end with F4 teleport for more setups.

Last edited:

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
His string for whiffpunishing F21 also has a KB with F214, for close distance i use 21212 or 12 to whiffpunish. (after patch you can combo 121 into mb spin)
For pressure f4 is hitconfirmable and safe. F1 is nice to stagger, compliments F12. F13u2 has a gap but F13 can be cancelled in stuff like projectile (zhat can make it a mid so it catches ppl ducking waiting for the gap to interrupt. Or you can make a hard read end cancel it into mb spin.)
D3 jails in s1 and s2 so thats mostly your go to poke. Also lowprofiles. Good for making jumpins whiff or making wakeup whiff.
B231 is a low starter but has a gap before the last hit, so just like F13 you can adjust and cancel it into special if u read that they gonna try to poke.
For AA i use s1 or d2, depending how high u hit them in the air with d2, u can convert it into combo using d1.

His bnb midscreen:
F4 spin F4 mb spin F4 or sideswitch F4 spin 121 mb spin F4
F13 mb spin J2 F21 spin F4 sideswitch F13 mb spin dash 121 spin F4

Corner:

F4 spin F4 spin 21 mb spin F4

After D2 KB:

dash forward F21 spin F21 mb spin F4

Antiair: D2 D1 21 spin F21mb spin F4
S1 F1 spin F21 mb spin F4

Tip: use his divekick to cover space quicker
If u end combo with F4 u can end with F4 teleport for more setups.
I appreciate it man do you happen to have used Lotus fist at all?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I appreciate it man do you happen to have used Lotus fist at all?
Yeah ive been using lotusfist for some time now. Its pretty good but you have to be alot better with metermanagement and oki game of zhat is abit better. Lotusfist has more swaggy combos tho and when he has FB and full meter he has 530 unbreakable dmg wich doesnt seem so spectular on tym.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
So I played about 100 + matches with Kung Lao here and I'm determining he is not a good character he has little in the way of options of opening people up, way too many gaps.
I honestly can't figure out his archetype the only thing I can come up with is he's a whiff punisher, because he damn sure is not a freaking pressure base character

Last edited:
So I played about 100 + matches with Kung Lao here and I'm determining he is not a good character he has little in the way of options of opening people up, way too many gaps.
I honestly can't figure out his archetype the only thing I can come up with is he's a whiff punisher, because he damn sure is not a freaking pressure base character
lao is good.. u must to play 2k games minimum to understand what u can do

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Watch some foxy grandpa videos if you dont know how to open up people, its really simple, f4 and leftbutton are your friends with a bit of d3 mixed in.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Watch some foxy grandpa videos if you dont know how to open up people, its really simple, f4 and leftbutton are your friends with a bit of d3 mixed in.
Yeah that's what I've been doing lately and I've seen an improvement I think the biggest thing was I was getting frustrated and not thinking clearly lol

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
ofc if u want to play at low ranks
Nah man and it's not any disrespect to you so please don't think I meant that it just I'm now starting to figure him out and only took about two hundred matches the figure out his play style now if we are learning certain matchups for individual characters oh yeah I'm definitely going to be at least a thousand or more lol

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Atleast someone gets it holy fuck