What's new

Petition to legalize select gear pieces (NW staff for Robin)

Should NW staff be tourney legal

• Yes yes yes!!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
I think it would ok if the tournament mode was exactly the same as it is now, except you can change the special moves to the gear specific moves. These things shouldnt be tied to gear imo

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Have you tested those frames or just reading the frame data? Cause Harley's cupcakes mb and regular are listed incorrectly as minus. Both are still very plus.
Projectile frame data is based off the first frame it becomes active for hit/block. If you throw a projectile and it hits way later, it's going to be a lot more advantageous.

If you fight a tall character, like Brainiac, who can block it point blank, you'll see it's punishable on block if done up close.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
No.

Why?

A. It will be dependent on every PS4 having that unlocked, which isn't likely
B. If someone says "I want this", you'll get someone crying about not getting their gear they want and so-on...it'll be a giant ass domino effect that would result in the same shit we had to face in MKX...too much shit to learn MUs for

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Speaking of which, are the premier skins (like Jon Stewart Green Lantern for Hal Jordan, Reverse Flash for Flash etc) also include unique moves to them? And if so, are these also illegal in tourneis just because they are gear, or that they are allowed in tournies? Can anyone answer me that? Thanks.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Speaking of which, are the premier skins (like Jon Stewart Green Lantern for Hal Jordan, Reverse Flash for Flash etc) also include unique moves to them? And if so, are these also illegal in tourneis just because they are gear, or that they are allowed in tournies? Can anyone answer me that? Thanks.
they don't have unique moves

I don't know how, I don't know if, I don't know when, but I must have this in my arsenal!!!

https://twitter.com/l0rd_ofthe_fly/status/864974662656249856

Am I the only one who feels this way or is this just the swaggiest thing ever.
are you gonna be the one who makes sure every console at every tournament has all gear unlocked? but basically i think it would be quite cool to have gear allowed, as long as its balanced. maybe at some point in online tournaments.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
how do I unlock abilities like this?
Also, is there a way to turn off gear in casual matches?
Mother Boxes. And yes. At the map select screen, use the options button and turn on competitive play. It ups both characters to Lv 20 and removed all gear effects and abilities, just leaving the cosmetic appearance.

Lokheit

Noob
Got to say, I've always been a stubborn defender of the "allow it" side (including previous posts in this thread), but that's when I thought every move seen wasn't broken (and a lot of them were downright crap). Then the first move I got was for my main (Poison Ivy) and it was a 9f slide that basically allows her to finish all of her strings on a jailing safe (-4) low launcher (no need to MB to get B2D2 after it but you can MB for easier juggles) with invincibility wakeup that goes under high projectiles... without removing any of her vanilla moves... oh, and it hits twice.

While I freaking love that move and I will exploit the crap out of it on gear modes, I can see the logic behind not allowing gear if other characters have stuff like this (even if it could be argued that if all of them have OP stuff they're counter balanced, at least my main gets too nasty if she can finish all of her strings into that move, like no reason at all to not abuse it).

I guess I'd still support it with the community banning certain moves, but that could be a lot of burocracy.

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Got to say, I've always been a stubborn defender of the "allow it" side (including previous posts in this thread), but that's when I thought every move seen wasn't broken (and a lot of them were downright crap). Then the first move I got was for my main (Poison Ivy) and it was a 9f slide that basically allows her to finish all of her strings on a jailing safe (-4) low launcher (no need to MB to get B2D2 after it but you can MB for easier juggles) with invincibility wakeup that goes under high projectiles... without removing any of her vanilla moves... oh, and it hits twice.

While I freaking love that move and I will exploit the crap out of it on gear modes, I can see the logic behind not allowing gear if other characters have stuff like this (even if it could be argued that if all of them have OP stuff they're counter balanced, at least my main gets too nasty if she can finish all of her strings into that move, like no reason at all to not abuse it).

I guess I'd still support it with the community banning certain moves, but that could be a lot of burocracy.
This is the problem...lots of broken gear out there.

The thing is, and yes I realize everyone can try to make this argument, NW staff is a toned down version of what it was in Inj 1. All his frames were nerfed and Staff stance won't even help him in matchups where he currently gets zoned to hell.

It helps him do the following:
1) cover gaps in strings (cs staff spin)
2) open people up in neutral (ground pound)
3) cover space quickly (flying grayson)
4) zone slightly from full screen against weaker zoners

All these are slight improvements but nothing major....case in point, it is already balanced.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
At the very best all you can hope for is when they do the final big ass goty patch, they create variations or "EX" versions of characters, like staff Robin, or I1 Green Lantern.

That would be a neat way to shake up the game after a year.
Find out which gear moves are useful, then create remixes of the characters based on that.