What's new

Petition to legalize select gear pieces (NW staff for Robin)

Should NW staff be tourney legal

• Yes yes yes!!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I really really really wanna see Gear movesets instated into tournaments.

The system itself is so elaborate that it feels like a total farce NOT to give it room to shine on a professional scale.

Like, if someone wants to play Classic GL, Staff Stance NW, *insert examples here*, why not?
If they aren't game breaking, they could literally provide people chances to play their mains in tournament they would've never otherwise had.
Do you have any idea how hype I would be if Deadshot came with a Deathstroke moveset?
Or a Poison Ivy build that cut the BS and straight played like Killer Frost?
How many MKX Scorpion/MK9 Noob Saibot players would shit a chicken of joy if Sub-Zero came with Noob/Scorpion gear/movesets.

This is a thing, and it should be seriously considered.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Usually I'd be like "no that's stupid" but Nightwing is an entire character that is gear only. I think I could be fine with him being a separate character you could pick in tourney.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm recalling the devs (Tyler I think?) saying, during the Deadshot breakdown of gear abilities, "I'd love to see someone kill themselves in tournament with the rocket jump."

Ability gear tournament legal in the future, confirmed.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yes, yes, yes i want to use KF slide with Ivy.

We don't need gear, just abilities!

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
My friend is a casual player and he will grind the shit out of and unlock all the gear before I will. Not everyone cares about tournaments and online play. Tons of people want just single player offline stuff.
My point is that not being able to see this content, which is a good chunk of the game, just because I don't want to mess with the gear system is a bunch of horseshit. Especially when we just had MKX with the variations.

Last edited:

7L

Heads up!
I never wanted gear legal till I saw this. Can we make just one exception?
I agree that we should allow some items legal but this probably wouldn't go well. After seeing lantern's old stuff from injustice 1 i thought that'd be a good idea for an option. Not sure how the staff would compare to allowing legacy lantern stuff.

The staff seems like it'd be a huge buff compared to his trait at the moment. But some gear, sure, it'd be cool to expand the game

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Legalising legacy gear abilities is actually not a bad idea. People already know how to fight against them and there aren't many so it wouldn't be hard to balance. It'd be a decent compromise for those who want to see gear in tournament.

My proposal? Make the staff tied to a premier skin. No gear/alternative specials unlocking involved. Of course, this would open the flood gates for other characters to have premier skins that have their old specials tied to them.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Hopefully they'll make a competitive play mode that just unlocks all the abilities. It's not unheard of, competitive CoD games do this with unblockables weapons. It'd be a pretty similar function and a very simple fix.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Knew this thread would happen sooner or later.

It's nice for you guys to dream, but it'll never happen for all the obvious reasons everyone has mentioned.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I agree that we should allow some items legal but this probably wouldn't go well. After seeing lantern's old stuff from injustice 1 i thought that'd be a good idea for an option. Not sure how the staff would compare to allowing legacy lantern stuff.

The staff seems like it'd be a huge buff compared to his trait at the moment. But some gear, sure, it'd be cool to expand the game
Knew this thread would happen sooner or later.

It's nice for you guys to dream, but it'll never happen for all the obvious reasons everyone has mentioned.
I feel that most gear is not balanced and that it would over buff too many characters. I hear you @7L

I can dream though. Robin has some serious problems at the moment and staff would make a small dent in them by giving him slightly better pressure and combo potential, and a 22 frame low starter...his current trait is soooo situational and overall bad.

he would still get zoned out by deadshot but now can at least counter zone. BTW...they also nerfed all his frames in staff from injustice one.

his d1 is -3 not plus
mb staff spin is only +7
staff spin can't be cancelled into stance switch
and regular ground pound is 0 on block

its pretty balanced but gives him slightly better options in the mu he struggles in...which is anyone who can out turtle him or zone him.

I can dream can't I?

Reactions: 7L

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I feel that most gear is not balanced and that it would over buff too many characters. I hear you @7L

I can dream though. Robin has some serious problems at the moment and staff would make a small dent in them by giving him slightly better pressure and combo potential, and a 22 frame low starter...his current trait is soooo situational and overall bad.

he would still get zoned out by deadshot but now can at least counter zone. BTW...they also nerfed all his frames in staff from injustice one.

his d1 is -3 not plus
mb staff spin is only +7

its pretty balanced but gives him slightly better options in the mu he struggles in...which is anyone who can out turtle him or zone him.

I can dream can't I?
You can. It's not going to happen though because of the shit storm can of worms it will open with every other community claiming their character "needs" their gear allowed too, not to mention the headache of needing these moves unlocked.

The only way it will happen is if NRS deem that Ronin needs buffs and decides to patch this into his moveset.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
You can. It's not going to happen though because of the shit storm can of worms it will open with every other community claiming their character "needs" their gear allowed too, not to mention the headache of needing these moves unlocked.

The only way it will happen is if NRS deem that Ronin needs buffs and decides to patch this into his moveset.
I didn't know Takeda was in this game.
:DOGE

All jokes aside, there are some really unbalanced gear pieces like Superman's ublockable super. As cool as it would be to have Nightwing in the tournament games, for right now I think it's best for no gear to be used right now. Perhaps later down the line of the game's lifespan, gear could be added (this is a big if) but right now people are still figuring out how to play their characters.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
How do you lab against him though if you don't have the gear?
Exactly and sadly this is why gear related stuff will likely never become tourney legal; access to train. Think about it. If an offline mode is added where you can toggle on every gear ability in the game to allow for custom loadouts, then that would undermine both the gear drop system and the online multiplayer system.

I wish like hell gear moves and custom loadouts were a thing in the competitive scene but I just don't see how it'd become feasible.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer

his d1 is -3 not plus
mb staff spin is only +7

I can dream can't I?
Have you tested those frames or just reading the frame data? Cause Harley's cupcakes mb and regular are listed incorrectly as minus. Both are still very plus.

Noob
I am sure there will be patches in the future will will allow use of gear. The variation thing worked great in MKX. But this isn't MKX and I kind of like the set play that comes with that.

But I voted no. And got sad when I saw how many people actually said yes. I like the added gear and for casual play its cool and all, but the competitive nature of having specific characters with specific abilities makes it more competitive I feel. You need to pick right and learn to use what you have. It may also get us more top players with a few tournament level characters they can pick from.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Have you tested those frames or just reading the frame data? Cause Harley's cupcakes mb and regular are listed incorrectly as minus. Both are still very plus.
some but not all i've tested.

I agree...i wanted to see what the response would be though. Do any other characters have something like this?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
So, quite a while back, Pig made a thread asking if anyone would be interested in and support a side " gear" tourney at upcoming events. Some were supportive, and then there were plenty of you mouth-breathers who shat in his shoe.
Look, if the scene really wants this to happen, you can support "gear" tourneys, either by showing up, donating, or flooding any stream with views. THAT will get attention, and before you know it, we have gear tourneys too. People love titties, but they really really love money. Support, view and donate and this shit will happen.
If you aren't gonna do that, then just shut the fuck up and go grab some titty.