What's new

Perfect Legend Talks About the Importance of Registering Early for Tournaments

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
As the fighting game scene grows, the tournament stage becomes more and more of a delicate balance between the needs of tournament organizers and the wishes of players. In order for everyone to get the best out of the experience, it takes a bit of cooperation and awareness from everyone involved.

In his lastest blog article, Perfect Legend explores the reasons why pre-registration matters, and has large effects on tournament conditions. As he puts it:

"Players, myself included. We all like to complain about tournaments running behind schedule and running late. However there is a big thing we are not talking about and ruling out. Us as players need to take responsibility for our fellow competitors."

pl-vs-reo.jpg

He also talks a bit about the pressure of being a TO and having to satisfy so many players' expectations:

"It is really hard to host an event if you aren’t established and just as hard when you are established cause you begin to have a sort of responsibility and then you have to begin to constantly out do yourself so people want to come back to your event."

Although the FGC has lots of room for future improvement, the responsibility falls on both sides -- and as we demand more from our event organizers, there's still a lot we can all do to help.

Click through to PL's blog to the read the full post:
http://theperfectlegend.com/2014/02/12/fgc-tournament-organizer-appreciation-blog/

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
At first I was like: "Wtf another random PL front page"

But then I was all: "Yeah actually that's a good point and something TYMers should all think about"
Hehe, I can't speak for everyone -- but personally, I'm not definitely not going to feature something unless I think it's worthwhile.

Seemed like it was timely given the discussion around the events of the last few months.

Konqrr

You will learn respect!
All who don't pre-reg should have to pay an extra $20 to register on-site... seriously.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
All who don't pre-reg should have to pay an extra $20 to register on-site... seriously.
Don't they pay extra in any case?

Also I like having PL on facebook because then I know what the next front page article on tym is going to be 2 days in advance. :cool: (I'm not really blowing anyone up, this is definitely a warranted front page article)

This is why they won't enforce that rule, because that risks turning away potential entrants and venue fee charges. The reason MLG doesn't let you register on the spot is because they got that sponsor money, if you didnt register, well sucks to be you, you cant play. Now at these other non MLG events, if they enforced this "Pre register only" rule...and you don't preregister...not only doesnt is suck for the player, but it sucks for the TO because they can't accept your venue fee.

Not saying anything is wrong or right, but thats why it won't happen at these events. But if it did, you know I would 100% absolutely preregister.

I also have had the experence to talk to a player that shall remain nameless, but I asked him, "dude why didnt you preregister and save 15 bucks?" and he responds with, "not only do I not have a computer, but I don't have a paypal or a bank account, but I knew I was coming here months ago" :(

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Leaving on site registration is good for the scene as a whole. This option should never be eliminated IMO but having said that pre reg when you can. It makes everyone's lives easier and you save money! And who doesn't like saving money?

- this message endorsed by STB|EGP Shujinkydink. I want YOUR vote as best MMH.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Leaving on site registration is good for the scene as a whole. This option should never be eliminated IMO but having said that pre reg when you can. It makes everyone's lives easier and you save money! And who doesn't like saving money?

- this message endorsed by STB|EGP Shujinkydink. I want YOUR vote as best MMH.
They should all play each other round 1

The only reason I say pre-registration only is a bad idea, is because there are alot of younger players who don't have bank accounts or paypals or internet or etc. I know when I first started going to tournaments I was only 17, and I didn't have my own paypal or bank account or anything. So every single tournament that I went to I registered on-site in person. If all tournaments were pre-registration only that would turn away the younger crowd big time

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The only reason I say pre-registration only is a bad idea, is because there are alot of younger players who don't have bank accounts or paypals or internet or etc. I know when I first started going to tournaments I was only 17, and I didn't have my own paypal or bank account or anything. So every single tournament that I went to I registered on-site in person. If all tournaments were pre-registration only that would turn away the younger crowd big time
Most 12-17 year olds have parents with credit cards though

Cash

Noob
This is why they won't enforce that rule, because that risks turning away potential entrants and venue fee charges. The reason MLG doesn't let you register on the spot is because they got that sponsor money, if you didnt register, well sucks to be you, you cant play. Now at these other non MLG events, if they enforced this "Pre register only" rule...and you don't preregister...not only doesnt is suck for the player, but it sucks for the TO because they can't accept your venue fee.

Not saying anything is wrong or right, but thats why it won't happen at these events. But if it did, you know I would 100% absolutely preregister.

I also have had the experence to talk to a player that shall remain nameless, but I asked him, "dude why didnt you preregister and save 15 bucks?" and he responds with, "not only do I not have a computer, but I don't have a paypal or a bank account, but I knew I was coming here months ago" :(
The venue thing could be an issue if it's poorly planned! If you are looking to on site reg to help you cover cost them you already fucked up because there is no way to accurately determine what you'll get and if it will be enough to cover cost! An example of a solid model is SCR! It mandates pre reg and only allows on site the night before not day of! The way to make sure you cover your cost is to calculate the expenses and then distribute the number of spots allowed accordingly! That way as long as those spots are filled you aren't looking at a deficit! With pre reg TO's have more time to coordinate an event rather than putting emphasis on getting something as simple as pools done! It also helps the TO see what games have the most support and can allocate and distribute resources accordingly. The PayPal thing and no bank account thing can be a drag, but more than likely if you have a means to get to these events you have the means to be able to pre reg. more than likely you have a parent, relative or friend who would assist you in pre registering provided that you have the funds. I think they should stop making pre reg something that is looked like a benefit for money saving reasons and make it a mandate.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Money is money though right? If they have the money to register onsite why the hell the event planners bitching? Money talks though.

Cash

Noob
Money is money though right? If they have the money to register onsite why the hell the event planners bitching? Money talks though.
Because the players bitch about the event running slow and game A had more entrants than game game b why are we getting shitted on Etc.. It's not the money aspect it's the planning aspect that is really what matters! It's like walking in to a crowed restaurant and bitching about not having a table when they ask you if you had a reservation and you say no! You have the money to eat there but there was no way for them to accurately plan a way to accommodate you cause they didn't know you were coming!

Justice

Noob
If I had any say every major would have Evo/MLG registering rules

The cut off is 1-2 weeks before event and is 100% pre register
This is how @NeoRussell ran TTT13 (or whatever he changed the name to) last year and it seemed to work out OK. I think the cut off date was the Wednesday before, but I'm not certain. Would have to ask him.

I like the idea of going full pre-reg but I'm the kind of person that when I decide to go, I make sure it happens when I decide.
for example, when I went to EVO, I pre-reged the day the site went live. I had my flight booked a month in advance. I'm just funny that way I guess.

It just blows my mind that people can be dedicated enough to level up in a game but that professionalism doesn't extent to making sure you can get into a tournament. I mean, I've seen people show up to a tournament only to try to bum the entry fee.... If going to a tournament is that important to you, one would think that you would make sure that everything was in order beforehand right?

Kids do have parents that can use their credit cards or whatever. Kids also have access to websites like this where they should have been already told or can ask what they need to go so that they can set up a PayPal or something if they need to. Also, tournaments are generally advertised months in advance with pre-register windows of generally around 2 months. There is no excuse for leaving things until the last minute.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Because the players bitch about the event running slow and game A had more entrants than game game b why are we getting shitted on Etc.. It's not the money aspect it's the planning aspect that is really what matters! It's like walking in to a crowed restaurant and bitching about not having a table when they ask you if you had a reservation and you say no! You have the money to eat there but there was no way for them to accurately plan a way to accommodate you cause they didn't know you were coming!
Oh well if you put it like that then yeah.