What's new

Perfect Balance Doesn't Exist: It's OK if Your Character is Mid-Tier

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When MKX came out I played
Kenjutsu, Flame Fist, Cryomancer and Buzzsaw.
They were all shit back then. Ff had no cancels, Buzzsaw had shit damage and no midscreen combo out of straight hat, Kenjutsu... Cryomancer was okay.
They all got buffed except for Kenjutsu, he’s still shit. But I was really upset that my variation was bad while someone abused Erron or Bojutsu and I coudn’t do shit because there was nothing to do. And I blamed my lack of skills for that. So I hope shit like that doesn’t happen again.
And yeah, I don’t need my character to be op, I want him to be balaced.
To be fair, Cryomamcer and Kenjutsu are still shit

And it's okay to have super top tiers and horrid F-tier characters as well. The problem here is don't try to claim my character is all of a sudden so "great" and "mid-tier at the very least" just because of situational circumstances.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Perfect balance might be impossible to gain, however, that doesn't mean we and NRS shouldn't aspire towards it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah, I never got this. Like when Deathstroke was nerfed from broken to mid-tier in IGAU, everyone just complained that he was ruined and gave up on him. It's like, if you really love a character, mid tier should be good enough. And if you specifically need a high tier char because you're focused on winning money (which is a valid approach for the top % of tourney players) then you can't expect *every* character you like to fit that bill.

Especially now, since 'mid-tier' doesn't mean what it meant back in the MK9 days, where the top characters were left 7-3'ing (or worse) much of the cast.
I have this feeling MK11 won't be that heavy on tier balance as the time goes on due some universalization, specialy because of the flawless block which hopefuly will render some stuff non abusable as we suffered in MK9, so every character its going to have a really strong defense in neutral, good universal wakeup options.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Perfect doesnt exist but Injustice 2 baalnce is unacceptable, that game was 100% counterpicking at the highest level which is embarassing and probably why it died out so fast despite having an amazing roster and fun gameplay besides all the zoning

Xelz

Go over there!
Honestly, it depends on the power difference between tiers. In Smash Ultimate, there's hardly much difference between a top tier and mid tier character, which has resulted in good representation of the cast among top 64, 32, and 16 tournament cuts. Which is really impressive considering it has 74 characters. There’s maybe 2-3 characters that are significantly worse than top tier and considered unviable or borderline unviable.

So if there’s a narrow spread between tiers then I'll play whichever mid, top, or even lower tier characters I find the most fun. But if there’s a big power spread, then I don’t find it fun to be battling uphill and I’ll pick among the top couple of tiers.

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
Your match ups NEVER be as bad as this again folks.

So tough it out. YOU CAN WIN with mid tier characters!!! :)

( there's 3 vids in this set. Matches get better and better)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I typically stick to one or two characters as my feeble brain can't handle much more than that and I'm not a huge labber so I tend to get my matchup knowledge from extensive playing... hard to do that with a lot of characters.

I'm planning on playing more than a couple this time around as so many characters look interesting in this game.

But having your main as a mid tier is great because they generally don't get nerfed or buffed and when the top tiers get inevitably nerfed, they move up toward the upper tier of the game.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
In this day and age, and with games like Injustice 2, Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6 there are no longer unwinnable matchups.

Tear Lists are anybody's guess and while certain people may push the envelope about which characters are top 5, it's usually 15 characters that people keep arguing about.

Play the character you enjoy and learn how to win your fights.

LDA_DIgi

A changed man...or shokan master lol.
Kollector better not be Sheeva tier, or im going back to my old self.

DICKtator Digi . Jk

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I hope that Kano is mid tier'ish but counters some of the most popular high tiers.

Kind of like Deadshot in Inj2. He countered a bunch of the high tiers, but lost to some other mid-tier'ish characters.

Or Kano could just be high tier, that'd be nice lol.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Its awesome if your character is mid tier cause you get to blame everything on your character and nothing on you for all your losses.
That makes no sense . if a character has better tools than you and you lose , that doesnt mean you suck . In mkx i use kenshi balanced . Many times im beating a scorpion player , but because Scorpion is a high damage character with a lot of resets , in the end he gets the win because of that advantage and game style . Smoke is another example . Or cyrax in MK9 . 1 HIT and you are dead lol so , yes , i think a character with better moves has n important inpqct in the outcome of the fight .

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
That makes no sense . if a character has better tools than you and you lose , that doesnt mean you suck . In mkx i use kenshi balanced . Many times im beating a scorpion player , but because Scorpion is a high damage character with a lot of resets , in the end he gets the win because of that advantage and game style . Smoke is another example . Or cyrax in MK9 . 1 HIT and you are dead lol so , yes , i think a character with better moves has n important inpqct in the outcome of the fight .
see already blaming your character instead of yourself, now you get it.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Honestly, it depends on the power difference between tiers. In Smash Ultimate, there's hardly much difference between a top tier and mid tier character, which has resulted in good representation of the cast among top 64, 32, and 16 tournament cuts. Which is really impressive considering it has 74 characters. There’s maybe 2-3 characters that are significantly worse than top tier and considered unviable or borderline unviable.

So if there’s a narrow spread between tiers then I'll play whichever mid, top, or even lower tier characters I find the most fun. But if there’s a big power spread, then I don’t find it fun to be battling uphill and I’ll pick among the top couple of tiers.
SMASH ULTIMATE is not a fighting game . sorry

omooba

fear the moobs
if we're defining sucking as your inability to win then yeah you do suck. In the scenario you explained you suck at picking characters to win with. so don't blame the character for sucking, blame your self for picking a character you can't win with