What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

After recently finding the windows performance overlay, I spent some time yesterday just going through all the options to see what impacted the GPU performance the most. I had a lot of things dialed down to try and ensure stable performance. There aren't a lot of frame drop hiccups at this point, but they still exist for me. Especially in certain cinema sequences.

I'm quite sure GPU percentage is an extreme reduction of something profoundly complex, but I started out around 77% GPU getting steady 60fps. Dialing everything to max put me at 96%, and from there I just dialed down one option at a time to see what happened.
Dropping down to medium textures took me down to 51% all on it's own. Changing CPU/GPU particle effects swayed performance the second most making about a 3-4% difference. Everything else made all of maybe a 1% difference, so there just wasn't any reason not to max out everything but textures.

I'm not really sure what call to made vs CPU/GPU particles, but that probably doesn't matter a whole lot unless you are riding a performance line on one side of the fence or the other. It was interesting it made the second most difference in performance, but it was still a pretty low impact on a very modest card (1060).

I ended up at around 55% load at 1080p with all but textures maxed. High textures put me around 77% and the game runs the same so that probably makes sense, but even at 55% there are occasional stutters. It's interesting because the load never seems to waver even in 60fps cinema sequences. Some just can't hit 60fps ever. Raiden has a fatality where he pulls all your limbs off and it stutters when the limbs pop and then runs at 45fps. No amount of down grading settings changes that, and the 45fps continues while you select your continuation options.

SC6 and Tekken never stutter in the slightest. My settings for SC6 use more GPU at 77ish% but produces a more even experience. It's a little unfair to compare the two for a number of reasons, but frame rate stability has been a running theme with MKX, IJ2, and MK11. It's pretty good at this point, but when you see other games do it better it's easier to notice. That said, I have the Switch version and you can see it bog down in the same situations and in far more severe way, and if PS4 allowed 60fps cinema sequences, you'd probably see it bog on a few of them.
Try to turn off SysMain in services.msc, it always cause stutters. Your specs are good enough to run this game.

i havent been able to stream mk11 for some time now because of a recording issue with this game causing crackling audio and only this game and injustice 2 does this.... the only fix is to put direct input to off in the ini file.

no kidding is Qloc monkeys ? i legit want to know.

Hey all,

Is anyone experiencing the odd crash-to-desktop when the game accesses something with a special animation, like a Krushing Blow or Brutality?

I've been noticing this, though it does not happen constantly. Maybe once a play session, and usually early on.

Earlier this evening, for example, I did Kitana's Back Punch Brutality, and right when the animation started, crash-to-desktop. I've had it where I've done her Back 2, 3, 1, D2 Krushing Blow, and right when it lands and would transition to the animation, crash-to-desktop.

This started maybe a month and a half to two months ago. Again, it does not happen constantly, but it does seem to happen.

A month ago I formatted my PC and clean installed everything, so I know the issue is not with my files themselves.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
No but it seems like the last patch brought some minor hitching back.

I think I've only ever had 3 CTD's total and two of them were post patch missing files and the other a KOTH where we all did.

Is KL easier on console? I watch my friends stream their PS4/Xbox matches and it looks like they're playing against babies and grandmas, while on PC everyone is Sonicfox.
That's because on PS the playerbase i way bigger, with most of them being casual players. PC base is smaller and basicaly excists of dedicated FG players. PC player myself btw. Wouldn't wanna switch to console ever

So disabling FidelityFX CAS seems to have fixed my crashing issue. Perhaps AMD tech doesn't work perfectly with nVidia after all.

Hey all,

Is anyone experiencing the odd crash-to-desktop when the game accesses something with a special animation, like a Krushing Blow or Brutality?

I've been noticing this, though it does not happen constantly. Maybe once a play session, and usually early on.

Earlier this evening, for example, I did Kitana's Back Punch Brutality, and right when the animation started, crash-to-desktop. I've had it where I've done her Back 2, 3, 1, D2 Krushing Blow, and right when it lands and would transition to the animation, crash-to-desktop.

This started maybe a month and a half to two months ago. Again, it does not happen constantly, but it does seem to happen.

A month ago I formatted my PC and clean installed everything, so I know the issue is not with my files themselves.
^This is what disabling FidelityFX CAS seems to have fixed. Unless it was a nVidia Driver update, which I did as well.

how is the pc port so far i been gone for couple months switch my internet provider worse idea ever it sucked i never touch mk11 pc for months because of this. im switching back to my old provider at&t internet sucks i heard pc gonna get kross play soon ps4 and xbox is in beta right now also did they fix the hair issues and the crashing people keep getting?

how is the pc port so far i been gone for couple months switch my internet provider worse idea ever it sucked i never touch mk11 pc for months because of this. im switching back to my old provider at&t internet sucks i heard pc gonna get kross play soon ps4 and xbox is in beta right now also did they fix the hair issues and the crashing people keep getting?
The port is great. Crossplay is not confirmed yet. Crashing seems to be fixed for most people. What hair issues are you referring to?

The port is great. Crossplay is not confirmed yet. Crashing seems to be fixed for most people. What hair issues are you referring to?
the hair texture of alot characters like kano chess hair and other characters look blurry when the fxx and taa is turn on if i spell it right. i just hope the kross play comes soon for pc players but it is sad kross play is not with rank matches and king of the hill maybe when joker comes or the finals of mortal kombat league they add the krossplay i knew it is still i beta

So disabling FidelityFX CAS seems to have fixed my crashing issue. Perhaps AMD tech doesn't work perfectly with nVidia after all.
Lol, I went to check this because I didn't even remember for this setting. Then I realized that I have never turned it on and yet random CTDs keep destroying my playing experience on PC. I have the latest updates, all files verified succesfully, I even delete my hidden MK11 folder from time to time and still I get these random CTDs more regularly since the end of October.

And I have it the other way round: no issues with the so-called special animations, I usually crash to desktop after normal stuff like landing a hit in neutral or after a blocked poke. The characters stand still for a brief second then POOOF, I'm on desktop without any error message. Imagine this crap during a Kombat League season. I'm an average Joe, I need the 4 weeks to climb up to Demi God and I'm losing 5-10 matches each season to random CTDs.

The strangest stuff was when I beat someone and did a Fatality. As the animation started I crashed to desktop. I went crazy about it because it was a hard fought match, I clearly felt that I deserved the points and the fatal because I earned it. I immediately started the game up and checked what happened and guess what: I got the points and a loss! So it was registered as a loss but I got the points for a win. And ever since then I have a loss more on my Ranked record then on the VS Screen when I'm matched with someone. So it's like 926/817 on the Ranked leaderboard but 926/816 on the VS screen.

And another strange aspect of these crashes: after the December 19 update I had a crash free run for two weeks. Then I had about 5 crashes in 2 days. I didn't do anything differently then before, no updates, nothing. Then I deleted the MK11 hidden folder in Local and the crashes stopped for a few days. Then it started again. There was an nVidia security alert when they found some vulnerabilities in their older drivers. I think it was 436.48. That vulnerable driver was my last stable driver for this game and ever since I use the fixed drivers, the crashes ruin the fun. Before that I hardly ever crashed during online play. I had the ToT crashes but Online VS was flawless. After that update I rarely crashed in Towers but I can't get rid of this online plague.

Last edited:
@imMORTAL KOMBATant Wow, you're definitely having a rougher time.

For me, I rarely play Online and have never had a single Online crash even when I did. The crashes I've experienced are always Offline.

I might try re-enabling FidelityFX just to see if they start again; if the issue was the nVidia drivers or not. I'm using the second most recent ones now.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a complete clean install of your PC?

@imMORTAL KOMBATant Wow, you're definitely having a rougher time.

For me, I rarely play Online and have never had a single Online crash even when I did. The crashes I've experienced are always Offline.

I might try re-enabling FidelityFX just to see if they start again; if the issue was the nVidia drivers or not. I'm using the second most recent ones now.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a complete clean install of your PC?
A rough time it is, I honestly don't feel like playing MK11 nowadays but I just like this game too much.

My last clean install was my first actually back in October because I bought a new PC. I was on Win7/i5 4570S/8GB DDR3 RAM/GTX1060 6GB DDR5 RAM and I upgraded to Win10 Home/i5 9400/16GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1660 Ti 6GB.

The CTD issue was more or less persistent throughout but until October it happened almost exclusively in Towers. When I got my new rig I started with the 436.48 nVidia driver and I almost had a crash free month. From the 6th of October until the late twenties (25th? 26th?) I had no crashes, I was so happy and thought that my old PC was the source of the issues. Then we had the late October patch and the nVidia driver issue when an update was strongly recommended. Ever since then my best run was 2 weeks without a crash but as I recall it I only played a few matches a day during that time. When I play more the issue is more frequently occurs. Since we're on the 44.x.xx series of the drivers, I rarely crashed in Towers but the Online play is ruined by the issue. Today it was my first online match for example.

The only thing that's better is the so called artifacting - in Goro's lair and the Bone Temple there were weird green boxes flashing through the screen during kombat but it's gone since I upgraded from 436.48. But to be honest those flashing green things were much more tolerable than these crashes.

And Injustice 2 had similar crashes on my old rig. But I don't have these crashes in any other game, only in NRS titles. And my PC works flawlessly apart from this so I definitely won't make clean installs for one game. And it was the same on my old PC, Injustice 2 and MK11 crashed to desktop but no other titles did. So I'd rather see a fix from the devs part.

@imMORTAL KOMBATant Okay. October is not a long time ago. Your current rig is similar to mine. You have a better processor, we have the same amount of Ram (though mine is DDR3 as I recall), and we have the same video card. Two further questions:

1) When you upgraded the system from Windows 7 to Windows 10, did you simply do the upgrade option, or did you format the drive in full and then clean install?

2) What resolution are you playing the game in?

I don't have much in the way of crash to desktops either, and for me even here with Mortal Kombat 11 I only had that period for a bit late Fall into early winter that it was happening a lot. Ironically, once that seemed to stop happening, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition started crashing regularly for me :confused:. That's obviously not a NetherRealm Studios title and I've put in well over 200 hours into it on this system.

That may have now stopped as well, though I'm not 100% certain.

I've never played Injustice 2 or it's predecessor myself. My other fighting game is Killer Instinct, which is working great on my PC, though oddly on my Xbox One X, it crashes or locks up occasionally. I also have Mortal Kombat XL on both platforms. PC, no problem, plays fantastic. On Xbox One X, it often drops back to the Dashboard when I'm trying to start the game and can take several attempts for the game to actually boot! Once it does it's great. It's the only game on Xbox One that does that to me.