What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

But speaking of...

Will this fix the RGB-related desyncs? I figured last patch would've but apparently it didn't.

Desyncs are honestly the main reason I don't play. Every time I try to jump back on, I get like 1/3 desync rate.

And yes, my RGB settings are off in the .ini.
No idea. I don't use RGB-based peripherals, so I have no way of testing.

Slymind

Noob
BTW, apparently they layed the foundation for DX12 support, is this something we should be excited? performance gains perhaps?

From what I understand, yes, though hopefully someone more technically-minded will be able to elaborate for us.
alright ill try to explain.

DX12 help low end or old cpu to reduce the CPU load and transfer some to the GPU. So if your Bottleneck is your CPU this will help greatly. But if your GPU is your bottleneck this will hurt you.

High end PC might not see any real performance gains from that but it might depending of the coding example some games runs better for me in dx11 or dx12. It just depends of the engine. Honestly Vulkan would be amazing but whatever.

EDITED: Also DX12 is most of the time better at shader caching than DX11 example the Krypt might see huge performance gains from it. not trying to jynx it all depends again from the coding.

my specs i9-9900kf
gtx 1080 ti

Battlefield V runs better in Dx11
Borderlands 3 runs better in Dx12
Battlefront 2 runs better Dx11

Last edited:
alright ill try to explain.

DX12 help low end or old cpu to reduce the CPU load and transfer some to the GPU. So if your Bottleneck is your CPU this will help greatly. But if your GPU is your bottleneck this will hurt you.

High end PC might not see any real performance gains from that but it might depending of the coding example some games runs better for me in dx11 or dx12. It just depends of the engine. Honestly Vulkan would be amazing but whatever.

EDITED: Also DX12 is most of the time better at shader caching than DX11 example the Krypt might see huge performance gains from it. not trying to jynx it all depends again from the coding.

my specs i9-9900kf
gtx 1080 ti

Battlefield V runs better in Dx11
Borderlands 3 runs better in Dx12
Battlefront 2 runs better Dx11
Thanks for the details man. I remember hearing that it'll be an option to turn DX12 on or off, and if so, people can certainly experiment to see what works better for them.

I have an Intel Core i5 4440 @ 3.10 Ghz and an nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6G OC, so for me my cpu is the weakest link. Hopefully DirectX 12 helps improve performance for me even further (and it's already great).

Raider

Noob
So we misses few towers with KL brutalities.
Tower with rare Skarlet skin.
Tower with 4 brand new britalities... and probably more. Hopefully they will repeat them all for PC players.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
So we misses few towers with KL brutalities.
Tower with rare Skarlet skin.
Tower with 4 brand new britalities... and probably more. Hopefully they will repeat them all for PC players.
when you talk about the thanks giving tower with the brutalities for kano, terminator, baraka and ..cant remember the last one. its up on pc.

KL Brutalities? what do you mean with that?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Anyone having issue aplifying Sindel's scream? I am using XB1 controller and it's not working.
It's not a standard amplify because you can hold the scream. You hold the scream then amplify whenever you jolly well feel like it.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
So I was complaining awhile back about how the FPS indicator mysteriously disappeared on the match making screen. I'm not sure anyone knew what I was talking about and nobody seemed as concerned about it as I was, but it's back.

The aspect ratio is all jacked up on it, but it's there.

Ah, very cool. There were two options for out (a third being the default "Off.") Can anyone explain the difference between them?
Here's the options I'm curious about: you can set it to "Fast" or "Quality." There's also "Sharpen Only." Can someone explain the difference?

And overall, they've really optimized the game well now. I'm playing in 1080p, but now have Motion Blur on and have turned the above to "Quality," and I'm getting 60 FPS from the Benchmark. All other graphic options are maxed!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
After recently finding the windows performance overlay, I spent some time yesterday just going through all the options to see what impacted the GPU performance the most. I had a lot of things dialed down to try and ensure stable performance. There aren't a lot of frame drop hiccups at this point, but they still exist for me. Especially in certain cinema sequences.

I'm quite sure GPU percentage is an extreme reduction of something profoundly complex, but I started out around 77% GPU getting steady 60fps. Dialing everything to max put me at 96%, and from there I just dialed down one option at a time to see what happened.
Dropping down to medium textures took me down to 51% all on it's own. Changing CPU/GPU particle effects swayed performance the second most making about a 3-4% difference. Everything else made all of maybe a 1% difference, so there just wasn't any reason not to max out everything but textures.

I'm not really sure what call to made vs CPU/GPU particles, but that probably doesn't matter a whole lot unless you are riding a performance line on one side of the fence or the other. It was interesting it made the second most difference in performance, but it was still a pretty low impact on a very modest card (1060).

I ended up at around 55% load at 1080p with all but textures maxed. High textures put me around 77% and the game runs the same so that probably makes sense, but even at 55% there are occasional stutters. It's interesting because the load never seems to waver even in 60fps cinema sequences. Some just can't hit 60fps ever. Raiden has a fatality where he pulls all your limbs off and it stutters when the limbs pop and then runs at 45fps. No amount of down grading settings changes that, and the 45fps continues while you select your continuation options.

SC6 and Tekken never stutter in the slightest. My settings for SC6 use more GPU at 77ish% but produces a more even experience. It's a little unfair to compare the two for a number of reasons, but frame rate stability has been a running theme with MKX, IJ2, and MK11. It's pretty good at this point, but when you see other games do it better it's easier to notice. That said, I have the Switch version and you can see it bog down in the same situations and in far more severe way, and if PS4 allowed 60fps cinema sequences, you'd probably see it bog on a few of them.

I'm not really sure what call to made vs CPU/GPU particles, but that probably doesn't matter a whole lot unless you are riding a performance line on one side of the fence or the other. It was interesting it made the second most difference in performance, but it was still a pretty low impact on a very modest card (1060).
What's your processor? Your GeForce GTX 1060 is close to the recommended requirement, as I recall, so your card is not an issue.

For the odd stutter or frame drop in a pre-rendered sequence, I get that sometimes too, but it doesn't bother me since it's actual gameplay that the 60 FPS is important. Curious though, as I haven't tested this out myself: if you set said sequences back to 30 FPS, does the stutter still happen?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Ryzen 7 1700. It doesn't seem to even notice the game is running. I'm sure things would smooth out to a degree if I went to 30fps, but I just don't see the point, and I don't think it would eliminate it unless it had something to do with the forced frame skip. I might try it later, but I don't appear to have any obvious bottlenecks and the stutters do happen in game as well. The same kind of thing happened a lot more back when the performance was struggling for a lot of people. It's pretty good now, just not that endless, glassy smoothness I see in some other games using more resources.

It seems like I have massive resources available the game doesn't seem to be interested in making use of which seems a little odd on the surface, but then the metrics are way too general to really know what's going on. Cards can bottleneck a lot of ways, and I'd need something far more comprehensive to know if that was happening. I wouldn't be able to do anything about it but buy a new card anyway, so it all kind of doesn't matter a whole lot at this point.

What does matter is this woozy feeling and a craving for Teriyaki chicken. I hope the line isn't an hour long today, but I won't be surprised to find long lines everywhere given the day it is.

Ryzen 7 1700. It doesn't seem to even notice the game is running. I'm sure things would smooth out to a degree if I went to 30fps, but I just don't see the point, and I don't think it would eliminate it unless it had something to do with the forced frame skip. I might try it later, but I don't appear to have any obvious bottlenecks and the stutters do happen in game as well. The same kind of thing happened a lot more back when the performance was struggling for a lot of people. It's pretty good now, just not that endless, glassy smoothness I see in some other games using more resources.

It seems like I have massive resources available the game doesn't seem to be interested in making use of which seems a little odd on the surface, but then the metrics are way too general to really know what's going on. Cards can bottleneck a lot of ways, and I'd need something far more comprehensive to know if that was happening. I wouldn't be able to do anything about it but buy a new card anyway, so it all kind of doesn't matter a whole lot at this point.

What does matter is this woozy feeling and a craving for Teriyaki chicken. I hope the line isn't an hour long today, but I won't be surprised to find long lines everywhere given the day it is.
1) I'm not familiar with AMD hardware really, so I actually can't say which is the weaker element between your CPU or GPU. Whichever the stronger one is, that's what you want to set your particles to.

2)Mmmmm... I miss teriyaki chicken, that's some good stuff right there.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
1) I'm not familiar with AMD hardware really, so I actually can't say which is the weaker element between your CPU or GPU. Whichever the stronger one is, that's what you want to set your particles to.

2)Mmmmm... I miss teriyaki chicken, that's some good stuff right there.
The CPU significantly outclasses the GPU. Runs at about 12% in game.