What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I figured this is worth reposting here. @Juxtapose would probably get around to it provided it didn't slip down below the myriad of "Scorpion is so OP" threads over on the steam forums.

It sounds promising for people having frame issues. Basically boils down to disabling some sort of background recording.

MK 11 FPS drops? Try this!
So, i tried many things but, trust me, the real problem is Windows 10 and his hidden activated features.
In this case i tried to disable the GameDVR function and...IT WORKS! Finally i have 60 fps at high preset without significant fps drop.

This is the fix:

Open Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> System -> GameConfigStore and set the GameDVR_Enabled to 0
Restart your system.

If this is 0 already, try this second step:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> PolicyManager -> default -> ApplicationManagement -> AllowGameDVR and set the "value" to 0 and restart your system.

I hope this can help you. Enjoy :)

@Gooberking Good catch. And yes, when I'm bored at work and on the Steam forums, it's usually scrub threads so I did indeed miss this.

Absolutely disabling Windows DVR (now called Captures) and game recording is a solid thing to try to improve performance.

Note the poster of this Steam thread, Raynys, seems to be confused though as he calls this an nVidia function in a subsequent reply he made, when Windows Captures is not related to nVidia at all. Windows Captures and nVidia Share are two different recording programs, and both can be easily disabled without needing to edit one's registry.

To disable Windows Captures, as well as Windows Game Bar, follow the instructions in this article here. Note this article is a year old and still calls Windows Captures Windows DVR, but the instructions are still step-by-step accurate.

To disable nVidia Share, simply open GeForce Experience and turn off the In-Game Overlay. Instructions on how to do so can be found on nVidia's site here.

I disabled Windows 10 Captures and Game Bar right after I install the OS, so that's always been off for me. I only enable nVidia Share when I'm looking to record games manually, and I have indeed noticed a performance hit in Mortal Kombat 11 when it's on post-Patch 5. Prior, there was no issue.

Feel free to post the above in the Steam thread for me on my behalf!

Just found out an hour ago that a new Patch was released today. Changes as follows, taken from here:

PC
• Fixed an issue with facial animations not running in Intros and Kustomize section when playing the game in 60 FPS mode.
• Adjusted compression of Krypt files and particle packaging to improve performance.
• Fixed in issue of the infinite sound effect loop when summoning a Character Tower
• Fixed an issue with Audio being played in the background after minimizing.
• Fixed an issue with non-English characters not being displayed in the Kombat Kard
• Fixed an issue with inputs responsible for abilities being incorrectly displayed during the loading screens
• Fixed an issue with Player 2's RGB keyboard showing the LED colour scheme for Player 1's character in Online matches.
• Fixed an issue with RGB LED colour scheme not reflecting the usable keys in the shop.
• Fixed an issue with displayed prompts in variations not being reflected for the other players input device.
• Fixed an issue with usernames not being displayed in the Kombat Breakdown in Steam
• Fixed an issue with Shang Tsung’s welcome messages not displaying in the Krypt
• Fixed multiple minor issues with Mouse/Keyboard input
• Localization updates and fixes.

I did some testing for about half and hour, and it appears most of my performance issues are fixed.

• My Benchmark passed on the first go (average of 59 FPS, and it was mostly at 60 during said test)
  • No frame issues at the start of matches. I was able to fire up a test match on Kotal Kahn's Kolliseum, and it was silky smooth. Did a short Tower of Time test after that, and same thing
  • The Krypt (set at 30 FPS) loaded a bit faster I think, but it was smooth frames from the get-go.
  • And yes, 60 FPS intros now have the characters move their mouths as well
I'll test more thoroughly tomorrow evening, but this seems to be a fantastic patch that's restored things to pre-Patch 5 performance.

Gaxkang

Banned
With the new patch the menus, character selection run smoother.

While the first fight when booting up does still take more time to load than subsequent ones, the issue of different moves loading for the first time in real time seems to be essentially smoothened out so far. Intros and outros also are smoothened.

Krypt seemed smoothened too.

Game still closes out heavy, I suspect its interaction with the Steam sync/cloud has something to do with it.

But it seems the patch actually fixed some performance stuff. :D

I forgot to mention my CPU load seemed much improved as well. The occassional spike up to 100%, but nothing long lasting like before. I found the game shuts down faster as well.

I did some more testing last night, and my performance is definitely back on track; the game plays great again. I tried the Krypt in 60 FPS Mode as well, and it also played very well: no crashes or loading issues, and only a few hitches here and there.

All the major bugs in the game seem to be fixed, at least for me. There's only minor and nuisance stuff left. My personal, updated bug list:

Minor

- Visual artifacts and white squares occasionally occur in gameplay, both in matches and in the Krypt.

- Rare and minor frame drops in the Krypt with "Krypt 60 FPS Mode" "On."

- Occasionally, the Fatality music will not play when a Fatality is being performed. This occurs with both human controlled and AI controlled characters, and is apparently a cross-platform bug.

- On very rare occasions, the Brutality music will not play, and your character will not say their verbal taunt after finishing a Brutality, despite doing their talking animation. This bug appeared after Patch 5.

- On very rare occasions, the Stage music seems to cut out completely on the “Prehistoric” Stage. I have not had this occur on any other background, including the other Hourglass ones. I have not had this bug occur in some time, it's possibly been resolved by a previous Patch.

Nuisance/Quality of Life

- In order to skip watching intros, I now need to press "Y" as opposed to "A." This was a common thing in the previous two Mortal Kombat games, either on PC or console, as I remap my face buttons to 2,3,1,4. Since "3" is now mapped to "Y," I now have to press this button to skip intros. Ironically while occurring in previous games, this bug was not present in Mortal Kombat 11 until Patch 4.

That's it, and I can easily live with the above.

I'm glad that the majority can enjoy the game now on PC but my experience is hindered again. Daily crash logs are a regular thing once again although I did the integrity check after the update and everything seemed to be fine.

Yesterday I exited the game and stuck on a black screen. I went into Task Manager and it showed MK11 as application is not responding. I forced an exit and it was fine since then but it created a crash log.

About 20 minutes I earned a hard fought victory against a Kung Lao/Erron Black player and I dialed in a Fatality. As the animation started, I got a CTD. He was ranked above me so I was pissed I'd lose a good amount of KL points. Thing is the game registered the set as a loss but I still got my points (WTF?).

I hate these freaking patches...

POPTDP

Noob
I'm glad that the majority can enjoy the game now on PC but my experience is hindered again. Daily crash logs are a regular thing once again although I did the integrity check after the update and everything seemed to be fine.

Yesterday I exited the game and stuck on a black screen. I went into Task Manager and it showed MK11 as application is not responding. I forced an exit and it was fine since then but it created a crash log.

About 20 minutes I earned a hard fought victory against a Kung Lao/Erron Black player and I dialed in a Fatality. As the animation started, I got a CTD. He was ranked above me so I was pissed I'd lose a good amount of KL points. Thing is the game registered the set as a loss but I still got my points (WTF?).

Serves you right for inputting a fatality in ranked ;)

Serves you right for inputting a fatality in ranked ;)
Yeah, obviously I'm the a-hole here. Unfortunately the game never crashes for those who t-bag me after both matches or fatal me after their first win as well. Or for those, who perform mercy at 80% health after game 2 with 1-0 up because that is not wasting the time but a fatal at the end of set is forbidden.

Yesterday someone did a random select then as I chose my kombatant he changed to mirror me. I handed his ass to him, he was just jumping all over the place then standing still when he was about to lose and suddenly game session was not avaliable. I got no points, it was neither a loss nor a win, it never happened. The wonders of Kombat League...

POPTDP

Noob
Yeah, obviously I'm the a-hole here. Unfortunately the game never crashes for those who t-bag me after both matches or fatal me after their first win as well. Or for those, who perform mercy at 80% health after game 2 with 1-0 up because that is not wasting the time but a fatal at the end of set is forbidden.

Yesterday someone did a random select then as I chose my kombatant he changed to mirror me. I handed his ass to him, he was just jumping all over the place then standing still when he was about to lose and suddenly game session was not avaliable. I got no points, it was neither a loss nor a win, it never happened. The wonders of Kombat League...
When it does say game session was not available, it usually shows as no points gained/lost and your record doesn’t change but it doesn’t eventually. It sometimes takes the game about 20 mins to register. Check your points next time after 20 mins

Can you remind us of your system specs again please? And to confirm, you using the latest drivers for your video card, and you've done a Windows Update?

When it does say game session was not available, it usually shows as no points gained/lost and your record doesn’t change but it doesn’t eventually. It sometimes takes the game about 20 mins to register. Check your points next time after 20 mins
Yeah, I noticed that it is usually added 1 full set later but it wasn't this time or since then.

Can you remind us of your system specs again please? And to confirm, you using the latest drivers for your video card, and you've done a Windows Update?
I know you care about the PC version, thank you for your dedication. I'm on Win7 with all updates, i5-4570S, ASUS DUAL 1060 6GB + 8 GB Ram but I'm not on the latest Nvidia drivers. I'm a don't fix it if it ain't broken guy unless it is really necessary to update.

When FPS drop was introduced first I lowered my settings, auto-detect suggested Max settings and benchmark gave me a pass on that with High fps/best rating at launch. I had no issues with that until that patch (Krypt CTD and whatnot). Since then I used the lowered settings. Today after the crash I deleted my MK11 hidden folder in Appdata and performed auto-detect and benchmark again. It gave me max settings once again and benchmarked me with best fps rating as well.

I turned off all PC specific settings (no 60 fps mode, no RGB stuff) and have had 0 issues tonight. If something comes up I'll update Nvidia drivers next.