What's new

PC/Steam Version - Performance, Technical and General Discussion Thread

Thank you for the reply man.

To answer your questions in order:
  • Have you updated to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update?
    Yes, everything up to date.

• If you have, have you run Windows Update to confirm you have all other remaining updates?
    Yes. Same as 1.

• Have you updated to the latest nVidia Drivers?
    Yes, just checked again.

• Have you Optimized the game's Graphic Settings via GeForce Experience?
    No, unfortunately not. And here is why. Every since I got GeForce Exp some friends told me not to optimize games through GeFExp, since according to them it would hurt the games performance. (In that case it was about optimizing Tekken 7, which runs absolutely fine)
    Are they talking nonsense? Can I optimize my games without fearing any more framedrops or perfomance issues in general?

• Have you verified the Integrity of the game's files via the Steam Client (shouldn't be needed if you just installed, but it's worth a shot)?
    Actually not, but Ill give it a try.

• For the frame drops, what happens when you run the game's Benchmark? After running it several times in a row, do the frame drops die off and you get a solid 60 FPS average, or does it constantly persist?

Well it always shows me a solid 60fps (sometimes the average of 59fps, but rarely)
    I activated steams fps counter and during gameplay I notice the counter going from 60 to 55.
    I tried to adjust the graphics in order to do something about it. No motion blur and instead of very high settings i went to high or medium for some settings.
My pleasure man. Good stuff on the first few questions.

For GeForce Experience, I've heard others say the same, but I've always had great experiences with it myself. In fact, it was through optimizing via GeForce Experience that allowed me to play Mortal Kombat X at launch without major issues, and that port was a really, really bad launch.

I've never had performance issues by optimizing via GeForce Experience in any game provided I make sure it's optimizing for 1080p as opposed to a Dynamic Super Resolution. You can adjust this in GeForce Experience to make sure this doesn't happen.

My recommendation: Take a screenshot or pic of your current in-game settings, and then go to GeForce Experience and Optimize it. Also, make sure the In-Game Overlay from GeForce Experience is off, as it'll eat up more system resources when on. Normally it's not an issue, but I've found it can affect performance for Mortal Kombat 11. If it's on for you (and I believe it is by default), that mat also be contributing to your problems.

If you don't notice an issue, or notice things are worse, you can reference your screenshot or pic and change the settings back.

For the gameplay drops to 55 FPS average, are you referring specifically to Offline or Online? Or both? Does it constantly persist, or after about 10-ish minutes does it stabilize?

As someone who has had performance issues introduced via Patch 5, I do believe that @Immortal is correct and overall, we are the "minority." It sucks, but I believe this to be true, or else I think we'd see lots and lots more people posting re: issues across the different boards.

There are issues, and they were introduced/aggravated by recent patches, there's no question there as the developer has a sticky on the official Steam forum acknowledging this, and I don't want to downplay the frustrations that many of us are having since they're legit, but I do believe we're in smaller number than those with things working fine.

This is why I've been as proactive as I can sending info to WB Support, along with videos attempting to show the larger issues. My hope is, by providing them as much info re: my specific system, it'll help with their patching process for many. I encourage all of you having issue to do the same, to go through the Support motions, and to communicate directly to Support. The worst that'll come from that is nothing. The best is improved patches that will resolve issues for us.

Interestingly, this weekend I tried a few more things: Disabling Vsync, trying nVidia Adaptive Vsync, switching to Borderless, and no dice; issues would happen at boot-up and then taper off after a few minutes as per usual.

Later that day, and then all the following day, I'd simply fire up the game and not bother with the Benchmark, I just went and played, and I had no major issues. The odd frame drop here and there, but nothing like the 36 FPS average I was showing in my latest video for 10 minutes straight. Odd.

@Immortal Ugh, the Steam forum. I started posting there a bit to try and help a few people, just to kill time here at work, but man, the ignorance on that board actually hurts my head.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
@Juxtapose

you're doing a very fine nice good work here, man .... thank you very much .... PC is my favourite plataform for MK11, and yeah, the game has some issues, but, I believe will be fixed somehow, sometime, whatever .... the game is playable, but not 100% optimized, anyway, keep going with your excelent job here ! ;)

@xenogorgeous Thank you kindly, much appreciated! Whether what I'm doing will have any positive impact, I can't say, but I feel far more constructive doing this than freaking out on a forum and swearing at the developers :p.

Support actually replied to me regarding my latest video and details, after I declined to create an new Windows 10 Profile and test the game from there. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your response.

We are sorry this issue with Mortal Kombat 11 are persisting and would like to thank you for your patience. I will now escalate your case as a Bug Report for the senior agents and Development Team to review further. While you may not receive direct correspondence while this case is under review, please know we are taking this matter very seriously. We ask that you remain patient while this case is investigated further. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

If there is anything I can do to further assist you with this issue, please reply to this email and I will be happy to help.

Again, this is all I'm looking for, since I don't expect Support to be able to resolve my issue since it is Patch-related. I want them forwarding details along to the Game Team to (hopefully) help with future patches.

xenogorgeous

@xenogorgeous Thank you kindly, much appreciated! Whether what I'm doing will have any positive impact, I can't say, but I feel far more constructive doing this than freaking out on a forum and swearing at the developers :p.

Support actually replied to me regarding my latest video and details, after I declined to create an new Windows 10 Profile and test the game from there. Here's what they said:

Thank you for your response.

We are sorry this issue with Mortal Kombat 11 are persisting and would like to thank you for your patience. I will now escalate your case as a Bug Report for the senior agents and Development Team to review further. While you may not receive direct correspondence while this case is under review, please know we are taking this matter very seriously. We ask that you remain patient while this case is investigated further. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

If there is anything I can do to further assist you with this issue, please reply to this email and I will be happy to help.

Again, this is all I'm looking for, since I don't expect Support to be able to resolve my issue since it is Patch-related. I want them forwarding details along to the Game Team to (hopefully) help with future patches.
yeah, man, all mk games for PC (I'm talking about MK9, MKX and now MK11), always had these problems at launch, always !!! .... from a developer viewpoint, it's a nightmare to build MK games for PC, not because the programming part (that's OK, in fact, they even said is much better to program to pc plataform than PS4), but, due the countless hardware combination that are possible to exist around the world, so, yeah, troubleshooting are expected ..... the amount of mix up you can do for build a PC and use it for games, can make weird and clunky results to the behaviour of the game on that .... a lot of CPU types, motherboards, graphics card, memory type, etc , it's hell, hehe !

in the end, I think they will patch the game a few more times and try to sort out and resolve the best they can, but, its impossible to fix eveyone problems for PC, due the diversity of hardware components that can be causing problems here and there ..... even for high end machines !

I'm not defending bad practices from NRS regarding PC treatments when releasing a MK game, but, it's important to know that sometimes, they are not the major guilters; others external factors can be the problem cause

yeah, man, all mk games for PC (I'm talking about MK9, MKX and now MK11), always had these problems at launch, always !!! .... from a developer viewpoint, it's a nightmare to build MK games for PC, not because the programming part (that's OK, in fact, they even said is much better to program to pc plataform than PS4), but, due the countless hardware combination that are possible to exist around the world, so, yeah, troubleshooting are expected ..... the amount of mix up you can do for build a PC and use it for games, can make weird and clunky results to the behaviour of the game on that .... a lot of CPU types, motherboards, graphics card, memory type, etc , it's hell, hehe !

in the end, I think they will patch the game a few more times and try to sort out and resolve the best they can, but, its impossible to fix anyone problem for PC, due the diversity of hardware components that can be causing problems here and there ..... even for high end machines !

I'm not defending bad practices from NRS regarding PC treatments when releasing a MK game, but, it's important to know that sometimes, they are not the major guilters; others external factors can be the problem cause
Yup, that system variety is problematic, and to compound matters, that game isn't built for the PC from the ground up, it's built for a very specific set of platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One), and then ported by an outside developer (QLOC and Shiver) to work on a large variety of hardware.

NetherRealm actually isn't the ones doing the PC version, QLOC is, and Shiver is also involved though I don't know by how much.

There also will indeed be several more patches, since we'll be getting some with each DLC character. That's five more at least, but then there will be balance patches, and I expect performance patches as well. There will be PC support for the game for a while yet.

Mortal Kombat X was quite the mess at launch and for over a year, yet QLOC was brought in and they cleaned the game up along with releasing the "XL" content for it. The PC version of Mortal Kombat XL is now an excellent version of that game. I fully believe that QLOC will be able to resolve many of the issues with Mortal Kombat 11, but that it will take a little time.

xenogorgeous

Yup, that system variety is problematic, and to compound matters, that game isn't built for the PC from the ground up, it's built for a very specific set of platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One), and then ported by an outside developer (QLOC and Shiver) to work on a large variety of hardware.

NetherRealm actually isn't the ones doing the PC version, QLOC is, and Shiver is also involved though I don't know by how much.

There also will indeed be several more patches, since we'll be getting some with each DLC character. That's five more at least, but then there will be balance patches, and I expect performance patches as well. There will be PC support for the game for a while yet.

Mortal Kombat X was quite the mess at launch and for over a year, yet QLOC was brought in and they cleaned the game up along with releasing the "XL" content for it. The PC version of Mortal Kombat XL is now an excellent version of that game. I fully believe that QLOC will be able to resolve many of the issues with Mortal Kombat 11, but that it will take a little time.
totally agreed, and yeah, I expect this too .... Qloc fixed that mess on MKX, and they'll do again for MK11, all we have to do it's just a matter of having patience .... I don't want NRS to stopping doing fighting games for PC plataform, so, we can wait, that's for sure !

and, if in some time in future, things like Stadia end being the way to go, you can expect that PC plataform will have to have all attention from developers, so, I think they will, in a long term, priorize the MK development for PC, hehe :D

and, if in some time in future, things like Stadia end being the way to go, you can expect that PC plataform will have to have all attention from developers, so, I think they will, in a long term, priorize the MK development for PC, hehe :D
I actually think, at this point at least, that'll it'll be more the Tournament scene that dictates which is the "primary" version. Like right now, PlayStation is the tournament standard for Mortal Kombat and has been for the last eight years. Unless this changes, the PC version will continue to be a port.

xenogorgeous

I actually think, at this point at least, that'll it'll be more the Tournament scene that dictates which is the "primary" version. Like right now, PlayStation is the tournament standard for Mortal Kombat and has been for the last eight years. Unless this changes, the PC version will continue to be a port.
sure is ... !! at the moment, I concur, the PS4 is best for major tourneys .... I have PS4 and MK11 for it, and runs great and awesome ! :)

I say, in future, I dunno, maybe in 10 or 15 years forward, if consoles are not a necessity anymore, and cloud computing is so much advance, that people will (maybe) pick up computers as main plataform for everything, specially , for high demanding games ... but this is all speculation by now, hehe :D

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
My pleasure man. Good stuff on the first few questions.

For GeForce Experience, I've heard others say the same, but I've always had great experiences with it myself. In fact, it was through optimizing via GeForce Experience that allowed me to play Mortal Kombat X at launch without major issues, and that port was a really, really bad launch.

I've never had performance issues by optimizing via GeForce Experience in any game provided I make sure it's optimizing for 1080p as opposed to a Dynamic Super Resolution. You can adjust this in GeForce Experience to make sure this doesn't happen.

My recommendation: Take a screenshot or pic of your current in-game settings, and then go to GeForce Experience and Optimize it. Also, make sure the In-Game Overlay from GeForce Experience is off, as it'll eat up more system resources when on. Normally it's not an issue, but I've found it can affect performance for Mortal Kombat 11. If it's on for you (and I believe it is by default), that mat also be contributing to your problems.

If you don't notice an issue, or notice things are worse, you can reference your screenshot or pic and change the settings back.

For the gameplay drops to 55 FPS average, are you referring specifically to Offline or Online? Or both? Does it constantly persist, or after about 10-ish minutes does it stabilize?
That is an amazing idea. I ll try to do that asap. I ll post an update when I ve tried those settings.

Regarding the framedrops I have to say that the framedrops seem worse online. During practice mode there are some slight drops but during online matches it can have some bad ones. In the krypt it also gets some framedrops.

My fear is that my framedrops make it worse for my opponent to play. I hope the influence is not that bad on the other side.

That is an amazing idea. I ll try to do that asap. I ll post an update when I ve tried those settings.

Regarding the framedrops I have to say that the framedrops seem worse online. During practice mode there are some slight drops but during online matches it can have some bad ones. In the krypt it also gets some framedrops.

My fear is that my framedrops make it worse for my opponent to play. I hope the influence is not that bad on the other side.
It's possible you're getting worse frame drops online though because of your opponent. Basically if you're generally at a steady 60 FPS Offline, or if you have drops early but they go away after several minutes (again, offline), then you're more or less fine. Honestly, a drop of 5 frames now and again is not unplayable or awful by any stretch. Drops down to 30 or 40 frames, another story!

Online though, there's so many things that can be a factor, and it's possibly even the netcode compensating for issues (I think). Are you playing wireless or wired?

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
PC netcode is so fucking garbage.

I played some Kombat League yesterday and 5 of 8 of my sets desynched during the first or second match.
I play on a wired connection against wired opponents.

It's outrageous netcode has been busted for almost a month at this point, this shit is nearly unplayable.
I don't get how it the netcode could get so broken. 3 patches ago it was running perfectly...

Raider

Noob
PC netcode is so fucking garbage.

I played some Kombat League yesterday and 5 of 8 of my sets desynched during the first or second match.
I play on a wired connection against wired opponents.

It's outrageous netcode has been busted for almost a month at this point, this shit is nearly unplayable.
I don't get how it the netcode could get so broken. 3 patches ago it was running perfectly...
Trust me you are minority. Game works flawlessly for 95% of the players. Only 8 of us have issues.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Trust me you are minority. Game works flawlessly for 95% of the players. Only 8 of us have issues.
Oh no, now you're a QLOC PR shill too?

Also it's pretty apparent that the netcode desynching is a major problem if you look at the Steam MK11 forums

RyuKazuya

It's possible you're getting worse frame drops online though because of your opponent. Basically if you're generally at a steady 60 FPS Offline, or if you have drops early but they go away after several minutes (again, offline), then you're more or less fine. Honestly, a drop of 5 frames now and again is not unplayable or awful by any stretch. Drops down to 30 or 40 frames, another story!

Online though, there's so many things that can be a factor, and it's possibly even the netcode compensating for issues (I think). Are you playing wireless or wired?
I am playing wired.

I did a benchmark again and got this result.15069

The minimum kinda looks bad :(

I went to pmode again and played offline and did not go under 57 at max. And as you said it would only last for the first few moments.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I am playing wired.

I did a benchmark again and got this result.View attachment 15069

I went to pmode again and played offline and did not go under 57 at max. And as you said it would only last for the first few moments.
Something is fucky.

The latest patch has made my CPU fan kick in as soon as the game starts. It was NOT like this before.

I have an i7 8700k for reference

I am playing wired.

I did a benchmark again and got this result.View attachment 15069

Don't worry about that minimum, it's the average that's important, and that's really good. So it sounds like you're in a similar situation to me now, where early drops occur but clear up rather quickly.

RyuKazuya

Don't worry about that minimum, it's the average that's important, and that's really good. So it sounds like you're in a similar situation to me now, where early drops occur but clear up rather quickly.
I am really relieved now :D

Hopefully it gets fixxed too. I really enjoy playing the pc version.

If anyone wants to play games my steam nick is: Tigeros_ryukazuya

I am currently playing more on pc since I cannot plug in the ps4 atm :)

Raider

Noob
So i was doing some testing on Scorpion (i never pick him) and his textures after i read ppl complaining about this issue on Steam forums and it turned out to be true sadly. So there is another visually very ugly issue with the game. I am not sure are other characters affected by this issue but i will test more.

Default skin:

Alternate skin:

Just look at his hands and texture difference. Wtf is that??
This is happening on PC only.

Last edited:
So i was doing some testing on Scorpion (i never pick him) and his textures after i read ppl complaining about this issue on Steam forums and it turned out to be true sadly. So there is another visually very ugly issue with the game. I am not sure are other characters affected by this issue but i will test more.

Default skin:

Alternate skin:

Just look at his hands and texture difference. Wtf is that??
This is happening on PC only.
I saw that thread. It looks more like on the PC version, you can see all the pores of his fingers and palms and such, but only in that skin for some reason. I wonder if it's got something to do with the lighting or antialiasing. What happens if you lower texture quality? Does it remain?

Based on what you find, I encourage you to submit a bug report ticket.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Okay so I've noticed that since I changed my settings to be at 1920x1080 @60hz it made my performance almost perfect. Before it was at 59Hz.