What's new

PC Players getting shafted again apparently.

Yeah, apparently 10am PDT, right at the beginning of a long day of work or school for most people in the US, so functionally it's nearly a day long delay. Bummer.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Yeah fuck this shit tbh.
Doesn't even matter if you cancel your preorder because of how it's Valve you actually buy the game from.

feedyourcatbro

Meow Lin
Isn't this what often happens, that games launch at 12 pm on Steam? Least that's what I heard, idk.
It's the default for games to be released during the market's morning refresh. It can be set differently, and shouldn't be difficult/complicated for a large publisher like WB. They just couldn't be bothered.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Just used to it at this point as a PC player. Everything is later than console. Steam is an absolute joke w/ releases sometimes. And for no real apparent known reason besides they just don't give a F. Here's to hoping EGS makes Steam start caring about shit again.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Just used to it at this point as a PC player. Everything is later than console. Steam is an absolute joke w/ releases sometimes. And for no real apparent known reason besides they just don't give a F. Here's to hoping EGS makes Steam start caring about shit again.
egs?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
No, dude.
I'm not "shocked".
I'm voicing a problem, that needs addressing because staying quiet about bullshit doesn't make bullshit go away.

Not that being vocal about it helps any, but that's all you can do when you don't like something. Call it out.
Good luck and god speed.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
This is literally in Valve's hands. Not NRS's. They as the distributor release all games at this time. The dev doesn't determine the hour.

Araxen

Noob
This is literally in Valve's hands. Not NRS's. They as the distributor release all games at this time. The dev doesn't determine the hour.
Ummm... no Devs are free to release games at any time they feel like. Valve honestly doesn't care what time you release a game.

This is a lie. Tons of games get releases at the same time on Steam/console. It's up to the publisher.
Steam can't force publishers to release games on time.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Epic Game Store. And based upon what they've done so far (moneyhat temporary exclusives), that time isn't coming remotely soon.
I don't think anyone expected it to be soon. Steam will start caring when the AAA companies that have already fled to EGS (Ubisoft, Take-Two) CONTINUE to release games early on EGS, like Assassin's Creed, 2K, etc. Division 2 and BL3, as well as all the indies and other AAA games like Metro, were baby steps. WB has shown it's still "loyal" to Steam.

The real problem is that 90% of them are only timed exclusives, not full exclusives, so Steam knows it'll see that dollah sooner or later. But, this digresses from the thread. Kinda.

Not true. This is my first preorder this year that is not unlocking at midnight EST. Both RE2make and Sekiro unlocked at midnight EST.

This is on WB/NRS/QLOC.
we don't know for sure. I'm sure it's case by case. But WB has no reason to want it to unlock so late on PC. Steam just F'ing up the release time makes more sense than WB saying "you know, let's not do a midnight release on PC." I can't remember MKX's release time and I didn't pay attention to Shadows of War. Does WB have a history of this on Steam?

Steam can't force publishers to release games on time.
Steam isn't always accurate about release times, tho. Sometimes even for the better (games playable before the "game will be unlocked at ____" time).

It's the default for games to be released during the market's morning refresh. It can be set differently, and shouldn't be difficult/complicated for a large publisher like WB. They just couldn't be bothered.
I mean, I've seen some release times be at 10am, some at 2pm... Why would those games be so negligibly different?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone expected it to be soon. Steam will start caring when the AAA companies that have already fled to EGS (Ubisoft, Take-Two) CONTINUE to release games early on EGS, like Assassin's Creed, 2K, etc. Division 2 and BL3, as well as all the indies and other AAA games like Metro, were baby steps. WB has shown it's still "loyal" to Steam.

The real problem is that 90% of them are only timed exclusives, not full exclusives, so Steam knows it'll see that dollah sooner or later. But, this digresses from the thread. Kinda.

we don't know for sure. I'm sure it's case by case. But WB has no reason to want it to unlock so late on PC. Steam just F'ing up the release time makes more sense than WB saying "you know, let's not do a midnight release on PC." I can't remember MKX's release time and I didn't pay attention to Shadows of War. Does WB have a history of this on Steam?

Steam isn't always accurate about release times, tho. Sometimes even for the better (games playable before the "game will be unlocked at ____" time).

I mean, I've seen some release times be at 10am, some at 2pm... Why would those games be so negligibly different?
Steam isn't accurate about release times because those times are set by the publisher. Valve has no say on that. Why is it that so many jump to blame the store when there's proof that this isn't even true? And you've seen games being released at different times literally because they depend on the publisher/developer pushing the builds live (or pressing the "live" switch for preloaded games). It's not because Valve randomly decides "oh, let's release something x hours after the console version because we are a-holes". If that's what you want to believe, you do you. But saying it like it's a fact everyone knows isn't a good look.

Steam isn't accurate about release times because those times are set by the publisher. Valve has no say on that. Why is it that so many jump to blame the store when there's proof that this isn't even true? And you've seen games being released at different times literally because they depend on the publisher/developer pushing the builds live (or pressing the "live" switch for preloaded games). It's not because Valve randomly decides "oh, let's release something x hours after the console version because we are a-holes". If that's what you want to believe, you do you. But saying it like it's a fact everyone knows isn't a good look.
If FROM/Activision can release "niche" game Sekiro at midnight EST then WB and NRS can release absolutely-non-niche game MK11 at midnight EST.

Occam's razor is rarely wrong and here, it points squarely at the publisher/dev.

Last edited: