What's new

Patch Notes: MK11 v1.28 January 26, 2021

General Gameplay Adjustments
  • Move list corrections
  • Fixed minor issues with several augments
  • Fixed minor visual & audio issues with several Brutalities
Character Specific Adjustments
  • D’Vorah - Number of Wasps currently affecting an opponent will no longer sometimes be reset if Strepsiptera connects while opponent is in the hit reaction to Swarm
  • Kano - The first hit of Snake Bite now has 1 more active frame and the second hit has 1 less startup frame
  • Kano - The hit reaction to Figjam Amplified (Back Punch, Back Punch, Front Kick, Amplify) will no longer sometimes use the incorrect blood color against some opponents
  • Kotal Kahn - Now has 1050 health (down from 1100)
  • Kotal Kahn - Fixed issue with Eztli Totem providing higher then intended healing when stacked with other Totem types
  • Kotal Kahn - Chicahtoc & Eztli Totems no longer have Kustom Variation restrictions in Kompetitive modes
  • Kotal Kahn - The first hit of Yeyecame Disk Amplify now has slightly farther reach and the projectile now has 10 less frames of hit advantage
  • Kung Lao - Sweeping Razor (Away + Back kick) while having no Hat now properly triggers Krushing Blow reset conditions
  • Shao Kahn - Now has 1100 health (up from 1050)
  • RoboCop - Now has 1050 health (up from 1000)
  • RoboCop - Adjusted the hit region of Getup/Flawless Block Attack (Up + Back Punch)
  • Sheeva - Dragon Drop is now off-screen for 2 more frames before her drop attack begins
  • Sheeva - Dragon Stance now has 2 more startup frames
  • Mileena - Poisonous Butterfly (Towards + Back Kick) now has airborne frames when Mileena is off the ground
  • Mileena - The hit reactions to Kahnum Dash Amplify, Kahnum Dash Further Amplify, & Ridin' Dirty (Front Punch, Front Punch, Front Punch + Front Kick) now have airborne frames when Mileena is off the ground
  • Mileena - Fixed a rare issue where Play Time (Towards + Front Punch, Back Punch, Back Kick) could leave a lingering visual effect on certain costumes
  • Rambo - Slightly adjusted the hit regions & repel regions of Basic Training (Away + Front Punch)
  • Rambo - Lieutenant Drop (Towards + Back Kick) now has airborne frames when Rambo is off the ground
  • Rambo - Hidden M60 & Hidden M60 Amplify will no longer sometimes use an incorrect animation when Rambo is hit by Kronika's Reverse Time
Not much, but it's something.

Comments

What a shit patch, given how long it took.

This seems more like a hotfix that would come in a few days after a major patch.

Here, I’ll speak for the NRS apologists:

“Don’t worry, guys. This isn’t the real patch. NRS is still using time to collect data. In six months, when the pro series is over and no one gives a literal fuck about the game anymore they’ll patch it. Don’t you worry. They just didn’t want to do anything drastic during the competition. Mileena was clearly making too noise in the pro series, so they had to tone down her KB even more though.”

NRS is garbage at balancing wether they take the kneejerk route or just let it rock for half a year.
As long as Paulo decides shit on balance, it's always gonna be this dumb.
This is one of the most balanced fighters out. They are patching more slowly because that's exactly what people have been asking them to do.

Everyone asked them to "just let it rock" and now they're crying about what letting it rock actually feels like.

I guess they're only willing to deliver actual balance patches when there are DLCs to sell. I mean they just want to add the new gear of the next KL seasons, they don't give a damn about balance in the game.
For people who have been around, it's always been like this. We waited from summer until October for the patch that fixed characters like Superman in Injustice, for example. Not every single patch is a major balance patch (and they shouldn't be, because you can't play out the result of changes every month).

Customs was unlocked in mid November, and now they're letting it rock mostly and seeing how things shake out while they work on the next significant balance patch.

It's like people have never played an NRS game before.

Here, I’ll speak for the NRS apologists:

“Don’t worry, guys. This isn’t the real patch. NRS is still using time to collect data. In six months, when the pro series is over and no one gives a literal fuck about the game anymore they’ll patch it. Don’t you worry. They just didn’t want to do anything drastic during the competition. Mileena was clearly making too noise in the pro series, so they had to tone down her KB even more though.”
So essentially do the same shit they did with MKX?:confused::eek:

This is one of the most balanced fighters out. They are patching more slowly because that's exactly what people have been asking them to do.

Everyone asked them to "just let it rock" and now they're crying about what letting it rock actually feels like.
Funny enough I would’ve agreed with your position if there was no patch at all. If they’re gonna let things shake out that’s fine. But the fact that they pushed a patch at all with balance changes that won’t change shit seems almost like a troll move. They know people are, rightly or wrongly, clamoring for a big patch, and they’re doing shit like giving Shao 50 HP.

It just makes it seem like they’re fucking around.

Funny enough I would’ve agreed with your position if there was no patch at all. If they’re gonna let things shake out that’s fine. But the fact that they pushed a patch at all with balance changes that won’t change shit seems almost like a troll move. They know people are, rightly or wrongly, clamoring for a big patch, and they’re doing shit like giving Shao 50 HP.

It just makes it seem like they’re fucking around.
It's not a troll move. This is how it's been for 10 years. Some patches are major balance patches, other patches are mainly bug fixes, small quality of life adjustments and a few tiny changes to other things.

It's never not been like this. They aren't going to drop a major rebalance every 2 months.

shrug

Seems fine on paper to me, I wasn't even expecting a patch to come out today.

Nothing for my mains and it looks like Mileena will have to wait a little longer to be interesting. But that's fine.

What catches my eye is that Kotal loses a bit of health but now the other totems are fully legal now so its a good tradeoff for him. I can't fathom him getting any further buffs from here on in.

Also Seems to support my theory that they're looking at previously banned moves to determine how to add them to ranked kustoms.

Last edited:
Also Seems to support my theory that they're looking at previously banned moves to determine how to add them to ranked kustoms.
No, it means that they originally just couldn't be bothered to adjust the healing totem to act like the other totems when they opened kustoms up. It was only banned because it still benefited from just one copy being stacked with other totems (how Kotal was originally designed to work). Only now, months later, did they get around to copy-pasting the new totem non-stacking code onto it.

I guess a small patch is better than nothing...?

I am not sure what I want at this point, but I know it was more than this.

No, it means that they originally just couldn't be bothered to adjust the healing totem to act like the other totems when they opened kustoms up. It was only banned because it still benefited from just one copy being stacked with other totems (how Kotal was originally designed to work). Only now, months later, did they get around to copy-pasting the new totem non-stacking code onto it.
That's still not bad. I think unless some crazy broken shit comes out or they do away with different healthbars for everyone, this is going to be Kotal for the rest of the games life.

I am 100% one of the outspoken "let it rock" people. However, when there have been flagrantly trash tier variation specials with active data to show how trash they are since Aftermath, KP1, and launch, there's a problem. I fully understand that customs potentially open some crazy doors for some characters so balancing individual variation specials should be done with lots of caution, but you cant tell me that moves like Kitana's projectile absorb, D'Vorah's everything except Strep / Widow's Kiss, Johnny's weird ass walk forward elbow thing, Jade's reflect and straight amp kick (when not with Pole Vault), Kabal's spin attack, Shao's taunts (and honestly almost everything else), Cetrion's rock explosion, and many many more moves that were in tournament variations havent clearly needed help.

The issue to me isnt so much the soft approach to balance because, again, I've been a fan. My problem is that variation specials that have been left to rot for upwards of 2 years have caused a backlog of needed balance, resulting in the introduction of customs just allowing the rich to get richer and boiling every character down to 2-5 useful moves. There have been MANY opportunities for NRS to make small changes over time to shit / gimmicky / obviously outclassed moves. Instead, we've got exactly what I feared when I saw the Ultimate patch: no variety. The added bonus is now the garbage moves from tournament variations see absolutely no higher end play so NRS cant even get data about them for balancing purposes and now must make blind, shot-in-the-dark decisions to fix them.

Guys remember when they took on the giant task of trying to balance all the variations of MKX and actually was quite successful? That spark is long gone.
mkx variations worked so well that they thought they could do it again with injustice2(abilities) and mk11. they fucked the whole thing up

I am neither liking the nerfs to Kotal Kahn, Mileena, and Sheeva nor the buffs to Robcop and Shao Kahn.

Unless we use Jacqui, are we all going to be playing like Shao Kahn by the end of this game's lifespan? Jab, down pokes, and throws with 1050-1100 health? LOL.