What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Patch Notes for Earthrealm's Champion (10/04/2016)

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
  • Liu Kang - Down+FP now has 7 startup frames (down from 9)
  • Liu Kang - Flying Dragon Strike & Dragon's Wrath now have 2 hits of armor
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - Windmill Flurry’s cancel window now starts 5 frames later
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - Away+FK,BK,BP now hits overhead and is -15 on block (down from -5)
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - BK,BK,BP now hits overhead and is -13 on block (down from -7)
  • Liu Kang (Flame Fist) - Windmill Flurry no longer has armor
  • Liu Kang (Dragon’s Fire) - added 3 additional frames before you can dash cancel out of Dragon Fire if the opponent is blocking
  • Liu Kang (Dualist) - activated Soul Spheres now do proximity damage to the opponent when activated and prevent the opponent from running through it
  • Liu Kang (Dualist) - activated Soul Spheres can now be ignited by Solar Blast & Solar Flare
  • Liu Kang (Dualist) - getting hit while charging Yang will now activate the current level of the buff
  • Liu Kang (Dualist) - Solar Blast has 5 less frames of blockstun and increased pushback

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I can finally play Dualist now at least. Flame Fist was hit pretty hard it looks like. What they did to Dragon's Fire is fair I guess since they did it to the other run-cancel pressure characters too. His D1 actually makes him more competitive in-fighting at least. Hooray for 2 hits of armor on his flying kick and dragon's wrath. :)

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
I can finally play Dualist now at least. Flame Fist was hit pretty hard it looks like. What they did to Dragon's Fire is fair I guess since they did it to the other run-cancel pressure characters too. His D1 actually makes him more competitive in-fighting at least. Hooray for 2 hits of armor on his flying kick and dragon's wrath. :)
Yeah. Since Dualist doesn't need stamina for pressure, his red orbs stop opponent from running and deals damage like Master of Storms Raiden's traps and all launcher armors are gone, his gameplan once again can be legit.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Well, the nerfs to Flamefist kind of hurts gotta say, but I believe he might be fine. Hurray for a faster d1, 7 frames boys! Now, since most characters get 2 hits of armor, some even 3, is b1 useless now? F213 fbrc into b1 might not be a thing anymore, I was preparing for the jailing to go away, but the universal change to armor might really make the meta non-existent, the armor OS still might be there, so we cant mix up with b2 or a throw, we'll eat a kounter, we armor I guess? Hurray for Dualist? Sucks that Solar Blast got even more pushback on block tho.

Last edited:

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Setting up orbs on knockdown set ups is massive. Prox damage as well as potential to explode the orbs with light stance is gonna make his pressure really interesting.

Frenzy

Noob
Liu honestly wasn't too hurt from the armored launcher nerf since he only had one that launched for a combo. And it was in one variation and only in the corner.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Super happy about the 7f D1 i've been waiting for a decent poke for ages now, abit upset at the FF nerfs, his pressure is pretty damaged now meaning getting free chip doesn't go without higher risk.
Overall I'm expecting FF to be VERY zoning based now I don't see prioritizing chip much good, I think FF will be a bit of a niche pick now, his added Mixup potential is practically the riskiest mixup around being easily full combo punished with no opportunity to launch, the payoff being hitting the low with the FF buff will be a chunky hit and the OH will be a knockdown leading to more pressure... in which his pressure was nerfed.

At worst we will probably only be eating a poke (which happens anyway) or an armoured reversal (which can also happen but now we're not going to get launched) from this new cancel window after WWP but part of me still finds it discouraging because alot of characters can probably use their options before we can meaning counter play is out the window.

Super happy about Dualist though, it's always been my favourite to play but never gave it much time in reality because I never saw myself using it until now perhaps, we will have to see how things play out.

As far as general meta changes go considering armour breaking with B1 i'm not upset at all, there was nothing more satisfying than completely denying a wake up or reversal but considering the only armour launchers in the game are hugely costly now I do not worry about eating any armour, I'll definitely have to just bait out more wakeups for those juicy punishes but i'll get used to doing that rather than throwing out B1 for a free punish on peoples wake ups. No harm done and it's still a good mid IMO.

It's hard to say where any character let alone Liu Kang and his changed condition lies upon viability in this entirely new meta but as a whole I think he will do fine.
Dualist will probably end up having some dirty ass setups now that will be found within a month, FF will be reserved for MUs where you just want to sit full screen throwing out powerful fireballs and DF is just somewhere in the middle.
Heck with the new Dualist orbs stopping running straight in and doing area damage it might be quite viable to zone somewhat well with Dualist now too!

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
LIU KANG

- D1 is now 7 frames (it was 9) (BUFF)

- EX Flying Kick and EX Dragon's Roar now have 2 hits of armor (BUFF)

- (Flame Fist) Windmill Flurry's cancel window now starts 5 frames later (BUFF)

- (Flame Fist) B3,4,2 now hits overhead and is -15 on block (it was -5) (BUFF and NERF)

- (Flame Fist) 4,4,2 now hits overhead and is -13 on block (it was -7) (BUFF and NERF)

- (Flame Fist) Windmill Flurry no longer has armor (NERF)

- (Dragon's Fire) cancels got nerfed in 3 frames only on BLOCK (NERF)

- (Dualist) Activated Orbs now do proximity damage to the opponent when activated and prevent the opponent from running though it (BUFF)

- (Dualist) Activated Orbs can now be ignited by Solar Blast and Solar Flare (BUFF)

- (Dualist) Getting Hit while Charging Yang will now activate the current level of thr buff (BUFF)

- (Dualist) Solar Blast is now +10 on block (it was +15) and it has increased pushback (NERF)

I agree with all of them, but Dualist needs better buffs... but thats better that nothing :)

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I used to lab dualist tons and found some fun setups with the low orb that could cause a HTB especially in the corner (Any Blockstring into low orb into f1,2 SS into 1,1,3).

I have a strong feeling that Trap characters may have crazy potential after these changes, like MoS Raiden for example.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I used to lab dualist tons and found some fun setups with the low orb that could cause a HTB especially in the corner (Any Blockstring into low orb into f1,2 SS into 1,1,3).

I have a strong feeling that Trap characters may have crazy potential after these changes, like MoS Raiden for example.
only problem is now moves have been adjusted to have 2 hits of armour meaning the setup wont even armour break, also it's likely they can poke the S1 and block the low regardless if they have a good D3/4

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Flamefist despite the nerfs, got his fireball hitboxes increased, high will always hit duck blocking characters now, aswell as the ex one. Dualist ex orbs while fully charged in yang stance will combo after a string. The air solar flame seems alot faster on startup, aswell as the air orb. The orb and solar flame hitboxes are HUGE, infact so huge you can ignite the air orb without jumping. Dragons Fire has lost all sorts of mixups during F213 fbrcs, it will still jail into f213 if youre frame perfect, or you can loop it into any other string thats less than 10 frames, but you can do it only once. Liu lost the ability to break armor, but fbrcs and stoping for a frame or two into ex bicycle kicks will do the deed just fine..

omooba

fear the moobs
To break armors on wakeup and to do pressure.
if you mean break armor on oki you can do that with the meterless one. if you mean break armor in pressure you can do that with the meterless one. if you mean to do more as in cancel a windmill punch or ex windmillpunch into an ex windmillpunch that gets beat by moves as slow as 15frames and trades with 16frames meaning kenshi gets a free ex push everytime and a meterless push most of the time. if you mean pressure as in your advantage after ex windmillpunch everything mis up you get, you can get by just doing regular punches and keeping the fear of a bar. am i missing anything?

Bruno-NeoSpace

if you mean break armor on oki you can do that with the meterless one. if you mean break armor in pressure you can do that with the meterless one. if you mean to do more as in cancel a windmill punch or ex windmillpunch into an ex windmillpunch that gets beat by moves as slow as 15frames and trades with 16frames meaning kenshi gets a free ex push everytime and a meterless push most of the time. if you mean pressure as in your advantage after ex windmillpunch everything mis up you get, you can get by just doing regular punches and keeping the fear of a bar. am i missing anything?
Yeah, I forgot about the regular WP. i'm sorry :p

EX WP window gap got buffed... does it now jails into DB2?

Lone

KHAOTIC
The gap was widened, you can poke out of it now. I only tested with Lao's 7f B1 during EX WMP xx SF xx EX WMP but I wouldn't be surprised if slower attacks bypass it as well.

omooba

fear the moobs
flame fist seems more and more shitty by the minute and run cancel characters seems really irritating to use especially cus you almost can't ever run and get a combo/pressure dualist is probably who i'll spend all my time with but yeah definitely not maining kang

Bruno-NeoSpace

flame fist seems more and more shitty by the minute
Well, they tonned down his offensive... Flame Fist is supposed to be played more defensively. The stamina nerf will help a lot Flame Fist's zoning.

run cancel characters seems really irritating to use especially cus you almost can't ever run and get a combo/pressure
Dragon's Fire still has a lot of plus frames and he still can jail some things (his EX cancels are still the same), safe-ish flying kick, the better air fireball of Liu Kang...

FF and DF are still very good and Dualist got some buffs... and don't forget the universal buffs that Liu Kang got:

7 frames D1;
Double armor on EX DB2 and EX Flying Kick (armored launcher for 3 bars on DF) and he still has armor on his Bicycle Kick (armored launcher for 2 bars on DF).

Kang is still a very good character.

omooba

fear the moobs
Well, they tonned down his offensive... Flame Fist is supposed to be played more defensively. The stamina nerf will help a lot Flame Fist's zoning.

Dragon's Fire still has a lot of plus frames and he still can jail some things (his EX cancels are still the same), safe-ish flying kick, the better air fireball of Liu Kang...

FF and DF are still very good and Dualist got some buffs... and don't forget the universal buffs that Liu Kang got:

7 frames D1;
Double armor on EX DB2 and EX Flying Kick (armored launcher for 3 bars on DF) and he still has armor on his Bicycle Kick (armored launcher for 2 bars on DF).

Kang is still a very good character.
almost every defensive character right now has safe armor and can cancel into plus frames and i really don't think the stamina nerf is as big as most people think it is. every run and press buttons character including cassie will be probably be fine other than run cancel characters
all he really has now is zoining which is decent considering the new meta but idk not really for me.
the reason i don't want to main kang is how much of his ff gameplan has changed and how irritating run cancelling is in the new meta