What's new

Parrying Technique?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Edit: I moved the thread to advanced tactics since it definitely applies to more characters than just Sonya.

Original post:

Well not exactly, it's virtually impossible to time so it's more of a neat bi-product of her Leg Grab's start up properties.

I haven't gone through any other characters to see if they have the same property, but interestingly enough when Sonya performs her leg grab, she always seems to have one frame of block before she starts, and it also seems to count as blocking. I've done this vs the CPU numerous times but tonight I actually went through and tested it to verify how it works.

Here is an example of Sonya blocking the Sai Shot with the first frame of her leg grab, and performing the leg grab through it. As you can see she takes damage from the Sai Shot.

http://ultimatemk.com/dtz/umk3/blockgrab.wmv

Here is an example of Sonya avoiding the Sai Shot in a similar technique, but the missed Sai Shot here is purely based on collision detection, in that Sonya's collision position moves sideways and skips over of the collision of where the Sai would first make contact. This is to show that there are two distinct situations. I'm sure many of you have seen this type of thing happen with various projectiles, but the block to instant special is more interesting because it's almost like a parry.

http://ultimatemk.com/dtz/umk3/grabthroughsai.wmv

An easy way to see how the collision detection location only works, is to perform a fast Forceball with Reptile and make the character run into him. They will push Reptile away as the Forceball forms and it will not hit you.

Please excuse the quality of the videos. Ever since I got Windows 7 I have not been able to do any of the editing or quality I thought I would.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah there must be more moves this concept works with. Sonya's Leg Grab I figured specifically because there is Block animation in it and you have to press Block to do it. It might just be activating a move on the last frame of block before you actually block and gives the first frame of the attack Block properties. As for the Smoke one, the fact that he doesn't reappear from the Slide contact and gets the move really suggests that it's simply ignoring it altogether but can't ignore the damage. It might also be limited to moves that cause this specific block stun result. For example both the Slide and Sai Shot are blocked in a completely stationary position with no horizontal player velocity.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Heh, the power here started fluctuating right as I was editing the main post, so I clicked save, the text refreshed, and the power went out instantly.

Just was teleport uppercut parried by Robot Smoke. I did a jump punch starter, while Robot Smoke did the teleport uppercut. Robot Smoke was on his way underground and my JP seemingly hit a blocked opponent. Though I landed in time to block the uppercut so it is useless.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The fact that you are holding block already must help it out. It has to be due to the 1 frame update, so it still thinks you're blocking, but the animation doesn't. It's weird that the damage still happens.