What's new

Match-up Discussion Parry beats low slide

Flagg

Noob
So this may or may not be known, but when I face a Skarlet in Ranked, I always go for my best character (CSZ) as most Skarlet mains mean business.

I didn't realise this, but CSZ can ice parry her low slide.

This seems strange as its low hitting and most low hits beat out parries in this game. I would assume Lui Kang and Smoke can also do this?

EDIT: Maybe its just the start up frames as this guy tried to low slide almost right next to me, i parried (expecting a launcher) and still got him as he went for low.

Flagg

Noob
Maybe he went for a upslash or downslash and you didn't see it come out.
No I promise you, this was a low slide. I mained her for a bit so I know what her normals and specials look like. Like I said, maybe the start up frames leave her slightly vulnerable to parries before she lowers herself. Im certain this wouldn't work if she slid CSZ when she was fully lowered.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
No I promise you, this was a low slide. I mained her for a bit so I know what her normals and specials look like. Like I said, maybe the start up frames leave her slightly vulnerable to parries before she lowers herself. Im certain this wouldn't work if she slid CSZ when she was fully lowered.
Ok im gonna go test it in a little bit when I go on

Flagg

Noob
I was about to suggest, could someone prehaps test this? I dont have anyone here to try this on.

Try the slide next to CSZ. Make sure you have someone that's good at parrying on reaction.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Hm, I've seen something similar. CSZ occasionaly can Parry Liu's b312. (Like you said, it might have to do with start-up frames) He's also Parried Mileena's Ball, but that hits high, so it's not too unusual.

Flagg

Noob
CSZ does pretty well against most rush down characters, turning pressure around so he can start pressure. Jax is notoriously hard however as you cant parry a lot of his shit. Still, food for thought. Maybe it was one of those flukey parries.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
It's probably a collision detection thing, nothing getting inexplicably stuffed surprises me anymore man, I had a Sonya player interrupt Scorpion's 334 twice with ARC KICK the other day, lol

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
That has happened to me several times. (getting parried when I slide) I find it pretty ridiculous, tbh...

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
So this may or may not be known, but when I face a Skarlet in Ranked, I always go for my best character (CSZ) as most Skarlet mains mean business.

I didn't realise this, but CSZ can ice parry her low slide.

This seems strange as its low hitting and most low hits beat out parries in this game. I would assume Lui Kang and Smoke can also do this?

EDIT: Maybe its just the start up frames as this guy tried to low slide almost right next to me, i parried (expecting a launcher) and still got him as he went for low.
Try a delayed slide.

Also, anything linked from an EX Dash will beat out csz/lk parries. I need to test this vs Smokes ex shake though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I knew it about skarlet slide, but I just learned that was the same with reptile's slide, and some other characters don't remember who (kenshi's f3 if I'm not mistaken).

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I happens because after the patch the parry determines where the low hits hit at on the character. Slide hits around the knee area so it gets parried. Same goes for sonya's f1 it gets parried too. Lui Kang's parry works the same way too. It is a pretty stupid design on NRS's part that only certain low hits can and cannot get parried. I also think shang's f3 can get parried to but it has been a while since ive fought a csz with him.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Careful with it though, its hard to do on reaction to a slide, you have to guess right that slide is coming. Skarlet can empty dash, then take whatever she wants while you stand there in parry animation. If I see you parry when I dash, I will know to empty dash for major stuff later. She can also d4 then dash slide, which takes away the safeness of parry here.