What's new

Parry and Flawless Block (new tech)

Zubro

Noob
Kotal’s parry allows him to flawless block the 2nd hit of a string as long as it doesn’t hit too quickly after the first. This can allow for an u2 punish on potentially a lot of strings in the game and I wanted to know which. So I tested every string for all tournament variations to see which can be flawless blocked and which can be u2 punished. It turns out the 2nd hit of most strings in the game can be flawless blocked and u2 punished. There are even some characters that Kotal can u2 punish the 2nd hit on ALL of their strings!
Those unlucky characters are: KABAL, SKARLET, D’VORAH, KOTAL KAHN
Here is the data for the rest of the cast, I will list the strings that can’t be flawless blocked and those that can’t be u2 punished. All of the strings that can’t be u2 can be u3 punished however.
CETRION: all strings can be flawless blocked
234 can’t u2
GERAS: all strings can be flawless blocked.
241 can’t u2
SCORPION: all strings can be flawless blocked.
B14 stops after parry.
SHAO KAHN: all strings can be flawless blocked.
F341+3 can’t u2
FROST: all strings can be flawless blocked.
344 will trade with u2
RAIDEN: 243
SUB ZERO: 12
F24 can’t u2
JOHNNY CAGE: 12
JAX: 12
D12
F42
SHANG TSUNG: 11
B211 can’t u2
B2112 can’t u2
3u2d2 can’t u2
ERRON BLACK: 21
B122 can’t u2
NOOB: 21
113u2 can’t u2
B11+3 whiffing u2
JACQUI: 11
B22
BARAKA: F21
F212
F44
JADE: F41
B2
124 can’t u2
212 will trade with u2
B343 stops after parry
F21 stops after parry
KITANA: F222
Can’t u2 most
KUNG LAO: 12
Can’t u2 most
KOLLECTOR: B12
B122
Can’t u2 many
KANO: 11
241+3
CASSIE: 11
SONYA: 11
F21
F214
LIU KANG: 12
F3333
F43
F43u3
B124 can’t u2
So basically his parry should be a very effective tool against half the cast. Against another quarter it is situational but should still be effective because you can u2 their main combo starters ie Johnny’s b34 and f344. And against the final quarter it is too risky outside of counter zoning.

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Record a vid of this pls bc it's not making sense. You listed a bunch of strings that have no gaps

Zubro

Noob
Kotals parry creates a gap between the first and second hit of every string as long as they don’t hit too close together. This allows you to flawless block the second hit. I’m sorry I’m not set up for video. I’ve listed the strings which hit too close together which doesn’t allow him to block their second hit So he can’t flawless block it but all strings not listed he can flawless block. I’ve also listed the strings he can flawless block but cannot u2 because he gets interrupted by the 3 and fourth hit of the strings.

Last edited:
Thanks for testing through the roster!

Parry is where a lot or Kotal's tech would lie in, but you need time to get the parry out, which for most strings would depend on prediction that they are going to press a button. Easiest target for that would be long pokes like D'vorah's.

Curious to see if this opens up some common strings.

Zubro

Noob
Thanks for testing through the roster!

Parry is where a lot or Kotal's tech would lie in, but you need time to get the parry out, which for most strings would depend on prediction that they are going to press a button. Easiest target for that would be long pokes like D'vorah's.

Curious to see if this opens up some common strings.
True it is more of a read. But at the very least you can make his strings safe with parry against half the roster because you can hold block while parry is out and it will automatically block the next hit.
Well not quite half.

Zubro

Noob
Very good thread, I read it in a hurry before and didn't quit get it, good job with all this data.

You should check the previous threads in the sub forum for the discord, here is an invite for anyone who is interested https://discord.gg/AjBgexN
Thanks. I hope it’s useful. I don’t know how practical it is especially online. But I think with practice it could be quite useful in certain matchups.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Kotal’s parry allows him to flawless block the 2nd hit of a string as long as it doesn’t hit too quickly after the first. This can allow for an u2 punish on potentially a lot of strings in the game and I wanted to know which. So I tested every string for all tournament variations to see which can be flawless blocked and which can be u2 punished. It turns out the 2nd hit of most strings in the game can be flawless blocked and u2 punished. There are even some characters that Kotal can u2 punish the 2nd hit on ALL of their strings!
Those unlucky characters are: KABAL, SKARLET, D’VORAH, KOTAL KAHN
Here is the data for the rest of the cast, I will list the strings that can’t be flawless blocked and those that can’t be u2 punished. All of the strings that can’t be u2 can be u3 punished however.
CETRION: all strings can be flawless blocked
234 can’t u2
GERAS: all strings can be flawless blocked.
241 can’t u2
SCORPION: all strings can be flawless blocked.
B14 stops after parry.
SHAO KAHN: all strings can be flawless blocked.
F341+3 can’t u2
FROST: all strings can be flawless blocked.
344 will trade with u2
RAIDEN: 243
SUB ZERO: 12
F24 can’t u2
JOHNNY CAGE: 12
JAX: 12
D12
F42
SHANG TSUNG: 11
B211 can’t u2
B2112 can’t u2
3u2d2 can’t u2
ERRON BLACK: 21
B122 can’t u2
NOOB: 21
113u2 can’t u2
B11+3 whiffing u2
JACQUI: 11
B22
BARAKA: F21
F212
F44
JADE: F41
B2
124 can’t u2
212 will trade with u2
B343 stops after parry
F21 stops after parry
KITANA: F222
Can’t u2 most
KUNG LAO: 12
Can’t u2 most
KOLLECTOR: B12
B122
Can’t u2 many
KANO: 11
241+3
CASSIE: 11
SONYA: 11
F21
F214
LIU KANG: 12
F3333
F43
F43u3
B124 can’t u2
So basically his parry should be a very effective tool against half the cast. Against another quarter it is situational but should still be effective because you can u2 their main combo starters ie Johnny’s b34 and f344. And against the final quarter it is too risky outside of counter zoning.

THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING BOUT! YOUr a FUCKING LAB MONSTER
Good shit

Zubro

Noob
Is the timing to flawless block after parry same for all strings?
No unfortunately, it’s actually pretty tough and damn near impossible in certain close hitting strings. Like Johnny’s f344. But against characters like Kotal Skarlet D’Vorah Shao Scorpion and Maybe Kabal Raiden and Geras it’s possible to react because their strings are slower but still is very difficult.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Holy shit this is game changing... NICE FIND!! I picked Kotal back up and was messing with cancelling into the parry from his slower strings to try to keep him safe, but this thread is on a whole other level. Sick.

By the way, found a cool match vid with Gunny and Grr. (Shao vs Kotal)

Gunshow might be the best Jax on the planet and Grr of course is Grr. Enjoy:

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
I've been working on this since day 1 (or maybe I should say dreaming of pulling it off in a real match, lol), but now that Kat Kahn is finally legit, I'm going to be grinding him a lot so really appreciate this list.

Sun-Godlike tech. I didn't fathom from the patch notes that having "FB block frames after oarry" meant I could u3.

This is great.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Sun-Godlike tech. I didn't fathom from the patch notes that having "FB block frames after oarry" meant I could u3.

This is great.
You still have to flawless block the hit after you parry, then you can u3. When I first read it I thought the same thing and that he meant you could u2/u3 after a parry. A successful parry just basically creates a gap that might not have been there before, like Kabal for example.