What's new

Tech - War God Paddle Oki/Paddle Conversion

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hello lovely people of TYM, it's your friendly neighborhood insane appendage and today I will be showing you some War God tech that I've been working on. I will preface this by saying that this concept very well might not be new nor super overpowering but I feel personally that it adds a decent amount of layers to the variation's gameplan and makes it a little more fun to play him and possibly more rewarding. So without further ado let's get started!

How does it Work
The concept behind this tech is fairly simple. End your combo with B122 xx DF3 (AKA Paddle Toss) Here is a video demonstrating exactly how that looks.

So you might be wondering "Why would you do this? You're losing damage!" Yes I am but let me explain myself here! So basically when you end in paddle toss your opponent has one of 3 options. Armor. Delayed Wakeup. Block. Let me break down each of those options.

Armor
So if your opponent armors through the paddle they will get out of the pressure that comes from it, yes, however! They will also eat 11% which will give your combo a GIANT damage boost. This is by far the worst of the three options your opponent has and if they do it consider yourself winning now because odds are they are at about 50% health from that one combo. Sounds pretty nice right?

Delayed Wakeup
This is by far the BEST answer to this tech. I haven't labbed this bit a ton (mostly because I kind of just labbed this on a whim and when I saw this chink in the tech I wasn't too thrilled, will probably lab later) but so far I find that either cashing out completely or using them delaying their wakeup as point to start pressure in. Remember they have to maximum delay the wakeup or else the paddle still hits them so no wakeups there.

Blocking
The sort of middle ground of the three options. If they block it they eat about 4% chip damage which makes it so your damage loss isn't THAT big of a deal. It also leaves you AT LEAST +13 (Probably more due to it hitting later in the active frames if you do it mid screen and it hitting meaty everywhere)

Now there is a certain problem with this involving characters who have moves that low profile the Paddle Toss. And by certain problem I mean they completely dive under it and hit you for free in YOUR pressure. But have to fear! Lord Crazy Fingers thought of this and found some stuff to combat the low profiling cancer! (Screw you Mileena, no one likes you.)

So if you do grown pound, this will do what Paddle Toss does only less damage and will hit whether they block it or not. HOWEVER! They gain a fourth option against the ground pound. And that is jumping, however fear not for I thought of this as well! The simple trick to this is either again cash out like we mentioned earlier OR cancel the ground pound and proceed to apply pressure/possibly anti-air the opponent.

So this has been my little bit of tech, I'll end this off with saying that do NOT do this setup against characters like Smoke, Ethereal and Displacer. They will blow you up for this 9/10 times and it will NOT feel good. Trust me. Secondly! Here is a swaggy conversion off of meterless paddle in the corner that I found.

@Eldriken @Mr Aquaman @Anyone Else Who Still Cares About This Character.

E

Eldriken

I wish block strings into a cancelled ground pound gave Kotal dash cancel like pressure. :DOGE

But Inde is right, Crazy. Aquaman's been doing the b122~df3 for a while. I never do it because I always forget about it. >_> Some of the other stuff may be useful, however. But War God is all but forgotten. I see people using Blood God more than War God now and that just saddens me. lol

CrazyFingers

Sorry to sound like a dick but Aquaman has been doing this to people in Sova for a very long time. Its nothing really new at all. But for the people that didn't know about this its useful to know
Yea I know that's why I decided to post it on here since I didn't see it ANYWHERE and figured I'd develop just a little bit upon it. Not much but still something.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I wish block strings into a cancelled ground pound gave Kotal dash cancel like pressure. :DOGE

But Inde is right, Crazy. Aquaman's been doing the b122~df3 for a while. I never do it because I always forget about it. >_> Some of the other stuff may be useful, however. But War God is all but forgotten. I see people using Blood God more than War God now and that just saddens me. lol
What's funny is I feel Blood God is worse lol. I honestly dropped the character. Rip to me

TheGangstaFace

That tech really comes in handy btw. I'm sure most Kotal players knew about this but anybody new to Kotal, I suggest really implementing that

E

Eldriken

What's funny is I feel Blood God is worse lol. I honestly dropped the character. Rip to me
I feel he's always been the weaker of the three. No armor at all screws him. You get to bully him for free after putting him on his ass.

I haven't dropped Kotal, but I use Slasher and Unstoppable Jason a lot more than I used to. I'm really enjoying Slasher now. His knockdown game, man.

CrazyFingers

I feel he's always been the weaker of the three. No armor at all screws him. You get to bully him for free after putting him on his ass.

I haven't dropped Kotal, but I use Slasher and Unstoppable Jason a lot more than I used to. I'm really enjoying Slasher now. His knockdown game, man.
Slasher boys

TheGangstaFace

Yup, same. I don't get the nerf to the totem. I feel like that was a heavy preemptive nerf. I think Sun God is the best now tbh. I tried picking up Jason but I blow at tick throws except Kotal's and Jax's but those are the easiest in the game lol

E

Eldriken

Yup, same. I don't get the nerf to the totem. I feel like that was a heavy preemptive nerf. I think Sun God is the best now tbh. I tried picking up Jason but I blow at tick throws except Kotal's and Jax's but those are the easiest in the game lol
I can't do Unstoppable's b1 tick to save my life.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
They can also tech roll and jump, and teleporting characters like scorpion can punish on wakeup, and in the corner any wakeup thats faster than id say around ~14 frames (total guesstimate) can blow u up for free. it works against certain matchups and characters that cant blow u up tho