What's new

Question Pad or Stick?

I played IJ2 on pad and was able to do combos and all just fine, and I am primarily a stick player. I played the MK11 Beta on stick and could do some things as well, but my ideal button setup doesn't feel ergonomically pleasing to me entirely. So I was wondering from the community. Is this game more acquainted for the Pad players or Stick players?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Since I got to test this game, I guess I'll stick on pad around this game. Its new gameplay is a bit weird, but needs some getting used to. I was lucky that I tested somethings, so I'm cool.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Nrs games are very pad friendly. however I've played the past 3 games exclusively on pad but played the entire beta on stick and had no problems. The big thing for stick is just finding a good spot for block. For everything else you can use command shortcuts for stuff like throws, intractables, and supers.

Asov

Noob
I played IJ2 on pad and now im playing MK11 on stick.

This is my layout:

1 BK 2
3 FS 4

1+2 = INT and Amplify
1+3 = Throw
BK+FS = Fatal

I prefer a 6 button layout with block next to 1, so i can block and do my fastest normals quicker with both buttons on the same row. Also my fingers naturally go to the top row so having block there feels more natural to me.

My only problem was sometimes getting a 1, 2 or 2, 1 kombo insted of interactables.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
My opinion has changed, I played the whole beta on pad and I liked it better than stick, except my thumbs hurt and I really hate using pad triggers it's literally the worst thing on this planet.

See I felt it was not too bad on stick, just the button layout is tricky, I know Dizzy, uses the same one I do. But I felt at time it could be clunky.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
This is probably the best pad I've personally used. The DS4 d-pad just shreds my thumb.

You can use the 2 extra face buttons if you choose to do so, I don't because I'm just used to using the shoulder buttons. The triggers have also been replaced with buttons.

Edit: Forgot to mention, sometimes it sucks not having the touchpad. Can't reset in practice, and you have to grab another controller to switch to fullscreen and back when doing KOTHs and such :/

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I hate to sound like one of those guys but... Have you considered the benefits of Hitbox? :D

But the game is designed with both sticks and pads in mind.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm hearing a lot of stick players are having trouble finding a layout, especially now that 'amplify' is R1 or RB, and switch stance (L2 or LT) is actually being utilized for rolls and delayed wakeup. I think @John Grizzly is a stick player, if I'm not mistaken. He would know more.
I am indeed a stick player, but MK and Injustice were both designed with pads in mind, I'd imagine. Especially considering how many god damn buttons MK has now.

As far as the layout goes, I too had a lot of issues during the beta trying to find a way to work the new Amplify button into my config without totally throwing off my game. I never used the Interactible button in the past, I would always just push 1+2.

My layout will most likely not help most players, as I ABSOLUTELY MUST have block in the middle. I grew up in the arcades and cannot have it anywhere else. It feels too foreign.

OP, take a look at my thread I made recently. Dizzy from NRS comments on it and gives his suggested stick layout, as he is also a stick player.

Actually....I can't find my old thread. it may have been scrubbed during the site change over.

Just keep in mind Fatal Blow can be triggered by 3 + BLOCK + 4 and Amplify can be triggered by 1+2.

Hope this helps you find something that works for you.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I prefer stick... but I have been playing a bit on a HitBox as well. Stick is still way better for me but I tend to let other people use that and I use the hitBox when they come over. HotBox is pretty cool. Both are better for me than pad. I just ca't get into pads at all

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Stick player, didn't felt the need of messing the configuration.

Button shortcuts
1+2 Amp
3+4+BLK Fatal blow
1+3 Throws

the only concern was roll, the button was too far on the right and too far from my fingers

The Gabriel

Mean Man
So two votes for block being in the middle. What is Dizzy's layout? Anyone else?

I always think about switching to pad but I know I would feel like such a bitch if I did.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
I've played MKX, INJ2, and the MK11 Beta both on stick and pad, but mostly pad. Since there is a lot of stick users here please answer me. How do you deal with the hand pain? When I have to stretch my fingers across the board it hurts like a motherfucker! Am I doing something wrong?

I ask this because I love the way stick feels but damn I can't endure the pain! Anyone with tips or advice I would greatly appreciate the help!

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
1 2 block interact
3 4 stance throw

Is what i used for betas. Worked fine, prob stay with that config, worked grand for me

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I used both during the beta, and I used p. much the default layout for stick. Didn't have any problems. I found it waaaay harder to play MKX on stick, because of the nature of ex moves instead of amplify. It was impossible to find a layout where I felt comfortable hitting block at the same time as all of my attack buttons. But being able to hit 1+2 after an attack? easy, easy.

I've played MKX, INJ2, and the MK11 Beta both on stick and pad, but mostly pad. Since there is a lot of stick users here please answer me. How do you deal with the hand pain? When I have to stretch my fingers across the board it hurts like a motherfucker! Am I doing something wrong?

I ask this because I love the way stick feels but damn I can't endure the pain! Anyone with tips or advice I would greatly appreciate the help!
Stretching your hand across the board, huh? Sounds like it might be a layout problem? I'm gonna give some general tips on layout, but for all I know you're already following all of them.

1. Use 1+2 for interactables/amplify and 3+4 for stance switch, if you aren't already. This will reduce the number of buttons you need bound in a comfortable position to 5.

2. Even though block in the middle is klassic arcade style MK, I strongly suggest making it so that you don't have to press button combinations that are not adjacent. Less stretching that way. This is usually done by grouping the attack buttons together in a 4 button square with the block button on either side, whatever position is most comfortable for you. Ideally you want block in a position where you can hit 3+4+block for fatal blows easily, but you can also just have stance switch bound in the same column as block if you like. Having a 6th button isn't the worst thing in the world.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but throw is 1+3. That's an important one! Every other fighting game on the planet uses that input pretty much, so I actually forget that there's a throw button a lot of the time, haha.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Stretching your hand across the board, huh? Sounds like it might be a layout problem? I'm gonna give some general tips on layout, but for all I know you're already following all of them.
Yep it was the layout! I remember spending 4 hours changing the layouts and watching YT videos, trying to get a feel, even then I just couldn't synchronize.

When MK11 comes I'll be changing the layout immediately, thank you!

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
1 Block 2 Interact
3 FS 4 Throw

Might switch Interact with throw is I get thrown for a loop with enhancing specials...

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I played IJ2 on pad and was able to do combos and all just fine, and I am primarily a stick player. I played the MK11 Beta on stick and could do some things as well, but my ideal button setup doesn't feel ergonomically pleasing to me entirely. So I was wondering from the community. Is this game more acquainted for the Pad players or Stick players?
It works well with both. I played on both. I'm a stick player and prefer to play with it. If you want a good stick setup then follow this:

(1)(2)(Throw)
(3)(4)(Block)

(1)+(2)= Interactables and Amplification
(3)+(4)= Flip Stance
(3)+(4)+(Block)= Fatal Blow

Just set turn off the negative edge, input shortcuts, and input leniency should be on medium.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I'm also committed to playing on stick. The way NRS controls work, the games practically demand to be played on pad, but it hurts my fingers too much. So stick it is.

I really appreciate these threads because I'm also struggling to find a layout I can stick with.
Even though block in the middle is klassic arcade style MK, I strongly suggest making it so that you don't have to press button combinations that are not adjacent. Less stretching that way. This is usually done by grouping the attack buttons together in a 4 button square with the block button on either side, whatever position is most comfortable for you.
If you want a good stick setup then follow this:
(1)(2)(Throw)
(3)(4)(Block)
I'm trying to follow this advice, but I can't find a good hand placement for activating the buttons.

Where you have Block, I had FS for Inj2 because it was basically a dead button for me; I only used it for supermoves and I had to move my whole hand to activate it.

I've tried this same layout with Throw and Block reversed, but I have to hold Block with my pinky finger, which quickly gets too painful.

So for these kinds of layouts, how do you guys place your hand and which fingers do what?
1. Use 1+2 for interactables/amplify and 3+4 for stance switch, if you aren't already. This will reduce the number of buttons you need bound in a comfortable position to 5.
(1)+(2)= Interactables and Amplification
(3)+(4)= Flip Stance
(3)+(4)+(Block)= Fatal Blow
Do you guys have problems getting these shortcuts to come out consistently? When I was using stock Sanwa buttons, they felt so sensitive that I was constantly missing these because one button would activate ever so slightly before the other. I've since switched to higher force mechanical key switches and it's better, but I still have trouble in the middle of fights (when my execution starts to slip a bit).

Just wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to get these out consistently...?

Asov

Noob
I'm also committed to playing on stick. The way NRS controls work, the games practically demand to be played on pad, but it hurts my fingers too much. So stick it is.

I really appreciate these threads because I'm also struggling to find a layout I can stick with.

I'm trying to follow this advice, but I can't find a good hand placement for activating the buttons.

Where you have Block, I had FS for Inj2 because it was basically a dead button for me; I only used it for supermoves and I had to move my whole hand to activate it.

I've tried this same layout with Throw and Block reversed, but I have to hold Block with my pinky finger, which quickly gets too painful.

So for these kinds of layouts, how do you guys place your hand and which fingers do what?

Do you guys have problems getting these shortcuts to come out consistently? When I was using stock Sanwa buttons, they felt so sensitive that I was constantly missing these because one button would activate ever so slightly before the other. I've since switched to higher force mechanical key switches and it's better, but I still have trouble in the middle of fights (when my execution starts to slip a bit).

Just wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to get these out consistently...?
With 6 buttons and shortcuts you dont need to use your pinky. I use my index on the first column, middle on the second and ring on the third.

To me the most important thing is being quick and feeling confortable blocking and trasitioning to the fastest normals, thats why i have block on the top row next to 1, while im blocking with my middle finger my index is above 1 ready to go.

I use my index and middle fingers together for the vertical shortcuts, i have no problem with that. But for the interactables (index + ring fingers in my case) sometimes i have troubles.

I wish I had a chance to try these suggested layouts, knew about the shortcuts, and had time to try on pad. I got the Beta on the last day :/