What's new

Question Overrated or underrated?

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
All her tech is nuts and she has some solid stuff and then you play her and jump her shit/block everything high. She's good but she belongs in the 11-15 slot IMO.

Flagg

Noob
Everyone seems to forget how much damage she does from one punish.

She can also knock you down or keep you standing for 30%+ from deep jump kick>>air dagger.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Right.....that is exactly what we all want You to do. Block high and look how Skarlet chip You to death - jump, and she will AA you for 30%+ into a standing reset so You can start to block high again.

Good luck winning with this technique xD
My character does in one combo what your character does in 2 plus a bunch of chip. I'm not saying she sucks, I'm saying her tools are not as good as the tools of top 10 characters. Red dash is a poor man's kartwheel (I know they're different but my point is you can get armored through and still not get combo'd cuz you blocked on reaction). iaDaggers are a poor man's iagb. Teleport is...well...

Her pressure is her saving grace tbh, she's still not great.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Right.....that is exactly what we all want You to do. Block high and look how Skarlet chip You to death - jump, and she will AA you for 30%+ into a standing reset so You can start to block high again.

Good luck winning with this technique xD
51% :joker:

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
My character does in one combo what your character does in 2 plus a bunch of chip. I'm not saying she sucks, I'm saying her tools are not as good as the tools of top 10 characters. Red dash is a poor man's kartwheel (I know they're different but my point is you can get armored through and still not get combo'd cuz you blocked on reaction). iaDaggers are a poor man's iagb. Teleport is...well...

Her pressure is her saving grace tbh, she's still not great.
This is a key failing in the Skarlet debate. Skarlet's tools, like Red Dash, cannot be compared to Sonya's or Kabal's, because they behave differently. They don't do the same things and therefore can't be compared apples to apples.

You could say they're all variations of eachother -

Sonya: Short distance, super armor + launch
Skarlet: 3/4 screen distance, super armor that extends to Up/Down Slash or Slide, launcher or low
Kabal: Full screen (I believe? 90% at least), 1 hit armor, disable

And also...Cyrax being the exception...most characters can do at least 30% in one combo, most can do 40%. Skarlet can easily do 40% into a reset midscreen, upwards of 51% in the corner. So to argue combo damage with her is kind of silly, as you win a match with good reads more than combo damage in MK9.

Ninj

@LionHeart @AssassiN

Standing Rollers - For when the enemy is rolling in front of you - for example, a blocked Superman from Raiden.
U3 -- U3,DF1 xx 3,DF3,F2 xx 1,1,2 -- 37% {Assist: @Somberness}
U3 -- U3,DF1 xx F4{or}2,DF3,F2 xx 1,1,2 -- 35% {Assist: @Somberness}
U3 -- U3,DF1 xx 3,DF1- xx 1,1,2 -- 34%

Punishers (non-resets) go up to 44%.

You can hit U3 x3 in a row if they're high in the air but it's unlikely this will happen.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
@LionHeart @AssassiN

Standing Rollers - For when the enemy is rolling in front of you - for example, a blocked Superman from Raiden.

You can hit U3 x3 in a row if they're high in the air but it's unlikely this will happen.
Agreed, forgot we were talking about standing resets. I almost always go for max dmg in those situations (mistakingly?)...

AssassiN

Noob
@LionHeart @AssassiN

Didn't say you'd get it all the time.
It hasn't happened a lot in matches, but I've gotten it a few times.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
If anyone wants skarlet experience on Xbox I be happy to help. My iaD aren't as godlike as they use to but I'm okay.

Ninj

@LionHeart reset vs punish is situational. Sometimes you want to reset them, sometimes you want to hit them as hard as you can - there's no 100% right way to do it :)

@AssassiN /shrug I getcha. My main thought is that it's misleading to think you'll get 51% resets off U3 when you're far more likely to get mid 30's for a reset and mid 40's for a punish.

AssassiN

Noob
@LionHeart reset vs punish is situational. Sometimes you want to reset them, sometimes you want to hit them as hard as you can - there's no 100% right way to do it :)

@AssassiN /shrug I getcha. My main thought is that i's misleading to think you'll get 51% resets off U3 when you're far more likely to get mid 30's for a reset and mid 40's for a punish.
Don't want to mislead people, hell I don't want to theory fight about any of this.
Just saying it's not impossible, it has happened a couple of times in the year I've been maining Skarlet. Enough said with that statement.
It's not something to rely on, just feels awesome when it happens.

Error

DF2+R2
Skarlet used to have a fast teleport and used to be safe, until some retards that played online cried for the nerf because it was too fast and too safe, so NRS made it 16 frames slower, and -12 on block.
You don't even need the F4 to be 9 frames. If Skarlet would be able do dash into U3,4 you would see how ppl would cry about that string, that alone would be crazy.
Still faster and safer than Ermac's

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Well the difference between standing 1,2 and U3 IS MAJOR.
U3 must be applied via reed not reaction.
Thats the reason why we don't see often U3 option applied.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I know I'm a little late to the party here and don't mean to bump, but in my opinion the biggest test that comes with Skarlet is your own discipline as a fighting game player. You shouldn't be looking strictly at whether she's a top 10 character or not. I've pointed this out before; There are literally a dozen top 10 candidates in this game, the deeper you try to dive into that, the more you're going to resort to your own biases and moving the goalposts. The only thing that's a lock in MK9's cream of the crop are the top 6 (Kabal, Cyrax, Freddy, Kung Lao, Kenshi, Sonya, and even what order they're in between them isn't completely concrete).

I think the two biggest things that leave her in a grey area are:
1) People that are ignorant towards the matchup (which, let's not kid ourselves, there still are, "just block high" in 2014 speaks volumes), and I suppose can lead to the Skarlet player to becoming complacent in other matchups that could/should be in her favor.

2) The steep learning curve can multiply your doubts tenfold, and then you look at characters like Kabal, who in this context isn't a better character, but considering he's had his cards laid on the table with a 6-12 month headstart, I don't blame most players for feeling like trying to decipher Skarlet any further feels trivial.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
The technicality of the character actually appeals to me, I feel like learning her is improving my overall execution with all the characters I play. Plus 41% meterless midscreen?! Yes please! I too feel like Skarlet just isn't top5 material but top 10 is pretty accurate all things considered. If her blood daggers had more cancel advantage that'd be great (since I love all kinds of cancels and whatnot) and it'd improve her meterless pressure a bit too. Her being unsafe on quite a few moves doesn't help though :(