What's new

Question Overrated or underrated?

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Daggers is a lot about how she controls a match.

People look at her wrong when they say "it only does 1%". Her daggers were like long range pokes which you could dash forward or back and get something started or release a second dagger or go into a string, jump, red dash, armour, another dagger and so on.

After you throw a dagger and dash forward you can do quite a few things based on what your opponent does.
Her regular daggers have like 0 block advantage and if you cancel your left in a state in which you cannot block. Try this vs. a character like Kabal. You will get not only Ex Dashed every time on reaction to cancelling it, but you can even be stuffed by other normals. If you dagger from a distance, cancel and try to do something there is nothing stopping me from committing to a Kabal F4 or Cage F3. What is she going to do? Risk/reward is never in her favour when she is cancelling. She has to do something stupid like jump to even get decent damage, she does not open you up in the same way the other characters in this game do.

@AK Lord of the Fly They weren't meant to be "Weaknesses", they were meant to show the differences between her and a true top tier. Every other character within top 10 gets more off of their spacing tools. As Skarlet, who would you want to send full-screen on hit besides Cage? Sonya maybe? Okay thats like 2 match ups, and even then risk/reward is in their favour when your spacing lol. Your f4 to a Sonya D4~MS or Cage F3 bullshit. Skarlets goal is to get the jail pressure going because we all know thats where she really shines, when she can do whatever the hell she wants. She's a solid character like I said in my OP, but compared to the true top 10 she requires too many reads, and not enough guaranteed results. You can pick a character who gets the same if not greater reward for much less risk and work lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Was gonna make a long ass post but i'll just condense it and keep it brief.

Her normals are lacking, they don't control space well. Her best tool for controlling space is F4 which is somewhat slow (not terrible by any means) and leads into a safe blockstring. Only issue is that it has a lot of pushback on both hit and block. So it's not like you can check them up, then go into pressure. At best you're going to be checking them up on block and resetting the neutral game, or if it hits you've done your ~12% and they're at full screen. Compare this to other characters like Cage or any of the other top tiers minus Kitana, who not only space and check you up, but on block can continue pressuring due to the range they're left at.

Her projectiles are crappy for spacing purposes, the first one does 1% so her cancelling daggers literally tickle you. I'd go as far as to say its better to eat the first dagger than to block it, because they deal so little damage and because they build her so much meter on block (8 on block to build a little over a bar iirc). And lord knows you don't want Skarlet to have meter.

Onto her strong points:

Slide is great, it's -3 on block and has the whole empty dash / slide / overhead slash mix up to it. Her pressure, if she has meter and gets you standing is some of the best in the game for sure. She has a great comeback factor with her ridiculous frame advantage and potential mix ups. She has average pokes overall, nothing superb except maybe D3 (small hurtbox) and nothing overly crappy either.

She's number 11-15 imo. About the same tier as people like Kang and Reptile. Definitely not the "kabal killer" she was said to be, let alone within the top 5.
This explanation is partially wrong
Skarlet is one of the character who can control space better than most of the top 10 chars, not only ground but air to, you won't be doing random shit with her in the field.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Her regular daggers have like 0 block advantage and if you cancel your left in a state in which you cannot block. Try this vs. a character like Kabal. You will get not only Ex Dashed every time on reaction to cancelling it, but you can even be stuffed by other normals. If you dagger from a distance, cancel and try to do something there is nothing stopping me from committing to a Kabal F4 or Cage F3. What is she going to do? Risk/reward is never in her favour when she is cancelling. She has to do something stupid like jump to even get decent damage, she does not open you up in the same way the other characters in this game do.
Any Character who dash cancels a projectile cannot block, this isin't a issue, however any character can cancel the useless dash animation by performing D3, which she has one of the best because it lowers her hitbox incredibly low avoiding even mid attacks. And besides that, she can Special cancel after she dash cancels daggers, going for ex Nomad Dash will be definitely a bad call here.

We could go all the way with theory fighting, but overall, we know skarlet wasn't a character easy to use, but the majority of ppl who i saw using Skarlet at tournaments, didn't even uderstood the character clearly not even half of it, and then everyone got with the wrong impression about Skarlet, and came starting with these theorys about how you will just trade projectiles, with skarlet, how you will jump at her, how you will get in because her tools are lacking, others saying that they never felt the threat of Skarlet before.
Well, we will never know unfortunately because in U.S almost everyone has stopped playing the game.
I personally never felt real threat in this game either when using Skarlet besides Cyrax, who i think is the most annoying and her hardest matchup to grind, anyway who i'm i to judge, i just feel like most of ppl who comes to justify why skarlet isin't top 10 doesn't explain themselves correctly and add part of speculation to it.

Well, i really hope i get to come to live in U.S this year, even if "no one cares" ala 16bit way, i will still want to have some good fights and there is a few ppl i would like to put on my Skarlet's test. After that, if i lose pretty bad i will admit she is not top 10, but either way "no one play this game anymore in US, so no one cares"...

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i never learned the skarlet mu for any of my characters....i wanna fight a good skarlet so i can learn x.x

ryublaze

Noob
When used at highest level she would be doing instant air daggers not ground daggers (but in some MUs they are ok). Like I said in previous post this question can never be answered because she was never used to her full potential no one knows how to fight against her.

Axel_Redd

sooo anyone on psn that does know how to use her? i wanna fight against them.

i could swear that one time i got caught in her pressure that i was able to duck her exdaggers and poke out...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
When used at highest level she would be doing instant air daggers not ground daggers (but in some MUs they are ok). Like I said in previous post this question can never be answered because she was never used to her full potential no one knows how to fight against her.
that was also the typical excuse of ppl who lost to her.

I do hope NRS doesn't change her style in MK1o, but improves it.

Axel_Redd

either way im never gonna quit playing mk9 :D

i still need to learn the mu tho so if someone would play me that'd be great.

ryublaze

Noob
that was also the typical excuse of ppl who lost to her.

I do hope NRS doesn't change her style in MK1o, but improves it.
dat option select tho

but let's be serious here, we all know that 90% of the community don't know her frame data and when to block and poke out of her pressure and apply it in a real match, and there are only a few Skarlet players to give the MU experience.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
dat option select tho

but let's be serious here, we all know that 90% of the community don't know her frame data and when to block and poke out of her pressure and apply it in a real match, and there are only a few Skarlet players to give the MU experience.
Yes, besides that "she requires godlike read" all really good Skarlets have godlike reads ^^

Axel_Redd

Its almost impossible to us Skarlet Online net code doesn't allows it.
same with Kabal...i can't play him no where near as good as i can offline x.x, he just keeps smackin his head into people online, makes me feel guilty like i should be offering him some asprin afterwards or somethin x.x

Axel_Redd

it depends on which string she uses to cancel into them, whether you're blocking high/low, and the hitbox of the character you're using.
lets say i was using kung lao...and im talking it happend during her longest string too.

play me online when u have the chance so we can test this.

ryublaze

Noob
lets say i was using kung lao...and im talking it happend during her longest string too.

play me online when u have the chance so we can test this.
ok tomrrow i'll get on mk. general rule is if you're crouch blocking any of her strings and she cancels into ex dagger the dagger whiffs, but some strings u have to let go of block.

Axel_Redd

k, i need to brush up on my cyrax and kabal, btw is learning Cyblax even worth it if im not using only cyrax?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
There are two main reasons why ppl consider Skarlet outside of top 10.

First: She has not accomplished as much (major tournaments wise) as the S, A Tiers in those 3 years.
Second: ppl who dont understand Skarlet cant possibly see what is she capable of.

Regarding the bad mu - lets look at it this way. If not those mu (Kabal, Cyrax, Sonya maybe) she would be WAY much higher.

Couple simple things that NRS messed up about her that puts her somewhere in the top 10 spot.
I say if her f4 was 9f and daggers did much more chip or had bigger hitbox she would be fucken Terminator.
Or perhaps faster start up on the tele or imagine the same mistake they did with Jax - by giving her another armor on Dual down/up slash.

To Me, she has the tools to take out any A/S class.

Reseting Cyrax with DJT's execution caliber plus breaker traps and 90% hit confirmations requires insane perfection and chess master patience in order to take him out. The mu might be slightly in his favor when Skarlet has meter advantage - once its gone....well, we all know what happens.

Kabal is Kabal, but against him we can afford to make couple more mistakes in a single fight and still have use of a breaker when available or needed and win.

And so on...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Skarlet used to have a fast teleport and used to be safe, until some retards that played online cried for the nerf because it was too fast and too safe, so NRS made it 16 frames slower, and -12 on block.
You don't even need the F4 to be 9 frames. If Skarlet would be able do dash into U3,4 you would see how ppl would cry about that string, that alone would be crazy.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Hm, did not know that Edd, seriously ? :confused:. This teleport is almost useless with those proprietaries. I guess the only worse tele in the entire game could be CSZ's lol. I just dont see on what basis those propitiates were changed.

AssassiN

Noob
Skarlet used to have a fast teleport and used to be safe, until some retards that played online cried for the nerf because it was too fast and too safe, so NRS made it 16 frames slower, and -12 on block.
You don't even need the F4 to be 9 frames. If Skarlet would be able do dash into U3,4 you would see how ppl would cry about that string, that alone would be crazy.
Holy shit. You serious?
Well that would have helped against the characters that outzone her, lol.
So basically since her release the following was nerfed:
- Damage
- A damaging mix-up(being able to cancel slide into slash)
- Dagger cancels(less advantage, easier to confirm AA daggers)
- Anti-zoning teleport that has a load of recovery on whiff

I'm not gonna bother getting into this discussion again.