What's new

Origin of Salty

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
In an argument with a buddy. What is the origin of the term "Salty" or, "That mother fucker is so salty because he got pwned."

How long has it been around. Who came up with it? Feeling lazy and didnt want to hop on Google for a half hour. Thanks everyone.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Man, I was just wondering this myself the other day, scrub's origin makes sense...but salty?! Where the hell did that come from.

Scrub:
The term derives from Street Fighter II, to describe some players that were so bad that they would mash their hands across the control pad, an act known as "scrubbing," because it relates to scrubbing a car or other object with a sponge. Thus they were deemed "scrubbers," or "scrubs" for short. Over time this term expanded throughout the gaming world, and then the real world, and lost its original meaning.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Man, I was just wondering this myself the other day, scrub's origin makes sense...but salty?! Where the hell did that come from.

Scrub:
The term derives from Street Fighter II, to describe some players that were so bad that they would mash their hands across the control pad, an act known as "scrubbing," because it relates to scrubbing a car or other object with a sponge. Thus they were deemed "scrubbers," or "scrubs" for short. Over time this term expanded throughout the gaming world, and then the real world, and lost its original meaning.
And here I thought scrub was a medical term.

Reedoms

Noob

Scrub:
Never knew that. You learn something new everyday.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I'm from Philadelphia, I can confirm this, and I also have a slightly edited version to be more clear and accurate.

salty

A word originating in Philadelphia about twenty years ago generally meaning that you're feeling stupid, either because of something you did/said/thought, or something that was done to you.

Did you get her number?
NO.
aw man, youre feelin salty!!

This means that if you whiff an X-ray, lose a match, drop a combo, get eliminated from a tournament, or try to tell people on TYM that 44 combos into nut punch on standing opponents means you're salty.

When I was in 3rd grade we used to use this word all the time (and I'm 27 now).
"Russia is in Africa."
"No, Russia in Asia so you salty!"

Tom Brady should so abuse this information.
He can call salt every time someone whiffs an X-ray, or drops a combo.
It's gold.
Why only use it when people lose?

Salty doesn't mean you're bitter, it means you're feeling stupid inside.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm from Philadelphia, I can confirm this, and I also have a slightly edited version to be more clear and accurate.

salty

A word originating in Philadelphia about twenty years ago generally meaning that you're feeling stupid, either because of something you did/said/thought, or something that was done to you.

Did you get her number?
NO.
aw man, youre feelin salty!!

This means that if you whiff an X-ray, lose a match, drop a combo, get eliminated from a tournament, or try to tell people on TYM that 44 combos into nut punch on standing opponents means you're salty.

When I was in 3rd grade we used to use this word all the time (and I'm 27 now).
"Russia is in Africa."
"No, Russia in Asia so you salty!"

Tom Brady should so abuse this information.
He can call salt every time someone whiffs an X-ray, or drops a combo.
It's gold.
Why only use it when people lose?

Salty doesn't mean you're bitter, it means you're feeling stupid inside.
I've read all this stuff but it's not very solid. We all know what it means it's just that I thought it came from somewhere else. Like when people "wiped the salt off their shoulders" when someone they were dealing with was pissed about something. The buddy I'm arguing with is black and he is claiming "they" made it up for when people were acting "the fool". His words, not mine :)

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Well black people certainly made it up, but, acting the fool?
Are you sure those were his words???

It's just like how we (my friends and I in Philadelphia) used to say "Ew!!" when something was awe inspiring or amazing.
Like a long combo that devastated an opponent in a major comeback to save your ass, your friends would all be yelling "EW!!!!!!!"

No one knows who came up with salty.
One person could certainly never achieve such credit.
They're certainly the only person who can tell you why the feeling is referred to as salty.

Take Sex Kick for example. I know the original meaning.
It comes out hard, gets soft, and totally fucks everyone.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Bahhhh we're both drunk and talkin shit. lol.

Well black people certainly made it up, but, acting the fool?
Are you sure those were his words???

It's just like how we (my friends and I in Philadelphia) used to say "Ew!!" when something was awe inspiring or amazing.
Like a long combo that devastated an opponent in a major comeback to save your ass, your friends would all be yelling "EW!!!!!!!"

No one knows who came up with salty.
One person could certainly never achieve such credit.
They're certainly the only person who can tell you why the feeling is referred to as salty.

Take Sex Kick for example. I know the original meaning.
It comes out hard, gets soft, and totally fucks everyone.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
there's a match _somewhere_ for _some game_ that i've seen and someone asks Yipes where he first he heard "salty" used; he credits hearing it first from DemonHyo years and years ago. dude's from new england so i guess PA makes sense. doubt DH was the first, but Yipes is pretty much the reason it's a gaming term nowadays.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
DemonHyo is from Philadelphia, not New England.
So that's awesome we've traced its gaming routes back to Philadelphia.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
this term, much like other "FG" slang such as bodied did not originate in the FG community, its just the FG community uses it 24/7 now

same with the weirdos who think the chanting with each blow during things such as Genei Jin originated in FGs. thats really foolish

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Interesting. So "salty" originally meant feeling stupid inside, am I correct?

In southern cali, we had a term called "moded" which expressed a similar sentiment.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I've been thinking about this, and I figure Salty came from that (wow wtf is Guile doing?) feeling you get when you're cooking...and you go to put a little bit of salt into the pot of food, and the cap comes off and the entire contents of the salt container all go into the pot at once.
You've just ruined your dinner, and you feel extremely stupid.

Literally salt!
I remember the white kids didn't get it too.
They'd say it like, "You're so salty, you forgot to wipe the salt off."

BTW
Salty to this day still means that you're feeling stupid inside.
If you lose a game, you feel stupid, outplayed or whatever. So Salty is the right word...just the people using it don't know exactly why they're using it, or what it really means, and when you try to enlighten them, you get stuff like...

"What you need to understand is..."
No one likes being told they're wrong. No one likes being enlightened to a better way of thinking, or truth.
It's a very harsh reality, but telling a commentator what salty really means is extremely useless, unless he's an open minded nice fellow.

I think it just came about because calling people "sour" or "bitter" sounded lame

I doubt theres any real etymology outside of a bunch of people getting high and running their mouths

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Except Salty doesn't mean bitter, but is easily confused for such.
Thus white people have taken that confusion and ran.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Same difference ^ they're using the term in similar context.

Anyone else think this term is rather stupid at this point? lol I mean, I get the meaning much like the term "bitter, peeved, pissed, burned up, heated, mad etc when in reality they're merely a sore loser? ehh lol

But I do think this whole "salty" phrase is beyond overplayed at this point...I asked my friend recently who's more of a casual gamer, "what do you think of salty term, are you salty because you lose" He's like, am I what? I said "salty" meaning pissed, annoyed, bitter lol. He's like who made that up? lol sounds retarded lol.

Do people use normal words anymore? lol

aj1701

Noob
Anyone else think this term is rather stupid at this point? Do people use normal words anymore? lol
Na, I like it. Just the next word of the day. Are you old enough to remember before things were sick, when they were rad, cool or gnarly? Lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Urban Dictionary is made up anyway lol.

That's not how people are using it of late, seems more like pissed off and annoyed then stupid but whatever lol. Made up term anyway :p

@AJ, yep. lol I grew up on atari, NES days so I'm definitely old enough haha. I always thought "cool", "sick", "boss" were alright. Some some slang just dumb like salty, phat, "mad", I don't know maybe it's just me but I think some words sound alright with slang, others sound flat out retarded imo. lol

Rad is pretty much just short for radical dude.

Except Salty doesn't mean bitter, but is easily confused for such.
Thus white people have taken that confusion and ran.
bitter doesn't mean sour either, its just the context that you would call someone it

slang isn't science, it doesn't have to make logical sense