What's new

Organizing Local Tournaments?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I was wondering if any of you ever hosted local tournaments at video game stores and what not? I was thinking of proposing this to one of my local stores that specializes in retro gaming. Since in my region there are very few events like these and most are held in the big centers that are a 4-6 hours drive away. Sucks for us small town peeps who want to kick each other's ass, virtually.

I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this. How did you approach your local store, etc,?

Thanks,

I did relatively this same thing not too long ago. It was a local game store who also had retro games and card game tournaments.

All I did was:

First I made graphics/flyers for the event as some eye candy for the store.

Then went to the store and asked to speak to the manager and proposed my idea.

The manager loved it. We later on talked about venue fees and such. We agreed on a day for the recurring event, as well.

Sadly through time, the employees were not SK welcoming to newer people. Poking fun at people who were taking a beating but willing to learn and the like. Sadly those guys hardly ever came back to play.

Just be sure the venue understands your goal and you'll be fine :)

Good luck!

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
To propose to some local shop you need someone who knows both you and the manager. Then you'll want to find some sponsors for this event. The best sponsors would be those who love video games. If all set, you find the graphic designer to do his graphic tricks for your flyer to pull a lot of people interested in this.

The employees will most likely be unfriendly to your idea, so you'll need to find their boss/manager, who's responsible for his shop. Note that they also need to earn some cash for this event occurring in their own shop, so you need to back this up. If you find some boss/manager who loves the video games and doesn't need money to organize it, then you'll be bloody lucky.

That's all from me. I know about such stuff by experience.

How you stream them I don't know, so I'll let it to those like @Mr Aquaman to cover you.

Good luck!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I did relatively this same thing not too long ago. It was a local game store who also had retro games and card game tournaments.

All I did was:

First I made graphics/flyers for the event as some eye candy for the store.

Then went to the store and asked to speak to the manager and proposed my idea.

The manager loved it. We later on talked about venue fees and such. We agreed on a day for the recurring event, as well.

Sadly through time, the employees were not SK welcoming to newer people. Poking fun at people who were taking a beating but willing to learn and the like. Sadly those guys hardly ever came back to play.

Just be sure the venue understands your goal and you'll be fine :)

Good luck!
Yeah, I defo want this to be friendly and something we could do monthly and what not. There's no point in making people disinterested because of large egos. Video Games were made for entertainment after all.

I was thinking of doing it at the shop, it's pretty small but two tv's would fit. It also means we'll only be able to choose two types of games but I think my town is more into next gen so that won't be too hard (I was thinking MKXL and Super Smash or Mario Kart 8). We could also have a poll on the shop's facebook page, see what people want to play.

To propose to some local shop you need someone who knows both you and the manager. Then you'll want to find some sponsors for this event. The best sponsors would be those who love video games. If all set, you find the graphic designer to do his graphic tricks for your flyer to pull a lot of people interested in this.

The employees will most likely be unfriendly to your idea, so you'll need to find their boss/manager, who's responsible for his shop. Note that they also need to earn some cash for this event occurring in their own shop, so you need to back this up. If you find some boss/manager who loves the video games and doesn't need money to organize it, then you'll be bloody lucky.

That's all from me. I know about such stuff by experience.

How you stream them I don't know, so I'll let it to those like @Mr Aquaman to cover you.

Good luck!
I know the manager! And he's around my age so that works out well. He's also a huge gamer.

For the flyers, I have lots of photoshop experience so I could do that myself no problem.

Streaming is actually an interesting idea. We could use the live feature on FB for the ''main event'' I guess, or during some matches so people who might have not seen the advertisements will want to come and check it out.

I'm not too sure where I'll find sponsors, I could go to my town hall to check out what my options are.

Thanks guys!

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
The best streaming would be coming from Twitch. How to smoothly stream them ask the professionals.