What's new

Op-Ed: why we should want our favourite characters to not return in MK11

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
This was pretty interesting to reason through, +1 for a well thought out post. I enjoyed reading it.

I do question, though- Is it oversaturation that makes us bored of characters like Ermac and Reptile, or is it bad writing?
Probably both, depending on who you are.

For the replies you didn't read, basically some people are tired of some of the consistent characters and others aren't

Blade4693

VIVIVI
The thing is, most of the 3D era characters, while certainly having fan bases, were not overall well received. For those who didn't read the Mortal Kombat X comics, many showed up and were killed in said series (not that death is perma in the franchise, but it seemed to me to be making a point of culling the lesser characters while still including them in a fashion).

Taking out a Johnny Cage and adding in a Kobra would be, in my opinion, a big mistake. Taking out Johnny for Cassie though, or Mileena for a new character, that would be alright.
Yeah I read the comics as they were coming out and saw some of them but I just feel like the NRS is much better now when compared to what they when they were still under Midway. Current NRS could make characters like Havik and Drahmin sick. I agree some were crap but I think a handful of them could be tweaked and slightly redesigned to be really cool such as the ones I mentioned. Moloch and Natara too, but they obviously showed us he is dead, unless Qaun Chi holds a nameless Oni in his hand during those walk ins.

Yeah I read the comics as they were coming out and saw some of them but I just feel like the NRS is much better now when compared to what they when they were still under Midway. Current NRS could make characters like Havik and Drahmin sick. I agree some were crap but I think a handful of them could be tweaked and slightly redesigned to be really cool such as the ones I mentioned. Moloch and Natara too, but they obviously showed us he is dead, unless Qaun Chi holds a nameless Oni in his hand during those walk ins.
Moloch was killed by Kitana (Revenant) in the comics, and Drahmin by Quan Chi himself.

I could see Havik being cool if they made him like in the comics, but in my opinion, so many of the 3D characters just didn't fit. I know the larger part of the fan base generally thinks this way as well.

Look at Bo Rai'Cho. He's in Mortal Kombat XL, still not cool if you ask me.

However, it's of course up to NetherRealm Studios who will be in and who will be out, so we'll see when the time comes!

Parasurama

Dragon
I think that keeping favorite characters are essential. Whenever a game moves away from this... It suffers. There is a balance though and that is the hard part. I think that all characters should get played with in the story mode. Or at least choices that can lead to playing with your favorite character even if they are bad... So multiple endings and different bosses?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Man, that Reptile story made me smile.

Anyway I agree completly, but I'm partial since I like the bad guys and I'm used to seeing them come and go.

Also: give me back my best boy Shang!

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
Man that's a fucking necrobump. I fully stand by this incidentally

Appreciate that btw @SaSSolino

It's quite cute if I do say so myself. I remember watching the Liu Reptile fight in the movie and being like "wow.....that's me. I'm awesome"