What's new

Op-Ed: likely returning 3d characters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Havik its among the most favorite 3D characters of all time, he has a good chances specially story wise since he was behind the plot of blood magik and even manipulated Reiko to do his bidding.

Sareena is an extremely popular character, but NRS its kinda like a mad mom, Sareena Story is attached to multiple characters, and it just doesn't do justice if you can bring Sareena without bringing back the characters who are strongly connected to her story:

a) Bi-Han (Noob Saibot) and Kuai Liang (Sub-Zero)
b) Jataaka and Sareena (Sisterhood of Shadows) and of course their leader Quan Chi
So bringing back Sareena NRS had to bring those 5 too, besides Sareena its only more popular than Kia and Jataaka because at one time in story they decided to make her playable and she was lucky enough to be OP as hell so it kinda helped boosting up her popularity, but personally Sareena Story without 5 characters it feels a bit incomplete for several reasons.

Bo' Rai Cho had a good return despite the fact that i think his variations didn't do him much justice, but he was still had a good cameback

Hotaru cannot coexist on a MK Story without Darrius and Dairou and this goes back and forth with any of them, specially because their story intercalates and last time we knew about them, all their story was still interconnected.

We've seen what the Kenshi Story led to, if he is in this game, so will be Takeda and so will be at least one Red Dragon member to give plot or reason to his existence, otherwise i think its contradictory

Remember Li Mei has an appearance in MKX but there was nothing more attached to her story so she wasn't playable, not sure how different its going to be this time.

And then again, if a character its put in the game just for being there it will start to look weird because then their role in the game, story fits no purpose at all

Just take a look at MKX, character which were in the Story but had no major influence over it at all:
Reptile
Ermac
Ferra/Torr
Erron Black

Literally MKX would do fine without these story wise and you wouldn't even miss them at all.

Basically Ferra/Torr were just in because NRS wanted to try something new, but there wasn't like a real good spot plotwise for Ferra/Torr in the main story, same goes with Reptile and Ermac who were in the game due popularity demand. Erron Black had some role in the beggining that was it, for an acomplished Hunter who hunted a lot of species overtime he did very little in the game story.

But Erron Black had an amazing run in the comic which is where i think he made most of the impact.

Other characters who had a major impact in the story that were just NPC and weren't really there
Skarlet - Relative to the blood magik saga
Reiko - Same as above and Mileena's plot
Rain - Alligiance with Tania

I'm getting carried way, anyway we had to make an educated guess on who is on the roster its kinda difficult now specially because timelines can mean anything, we only know of 2 time lines but we dunno if this game will relate to classic and current timeline only or if its going to have alternatives

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
You can tell a real MK fan when the roster list is all actual MK stuff and not lame guest crap like Spawn or Ash Williams.

SAREENA - is actually an awesome pick. There is a lot of lore behind her and like Scarlet has been in the minds of MK players for years and as you said there are rumours she almost made the roster a few times already. I think it would be mega hype for her to be on the start roster.. that would blow me away to be honest.

FROST - As for Frost.. I doubt we will ever see her. I mean we have Subs as a given... and we had Robo-Subs last two times. I just think she is good in story but she is kinda redundant in a game roster way. She works in those HUGE roster games she was in.. but a modern fighter? I just think her "slot" is taken by characters that take precedence. It is more likely I think to get the Robo-Ninjas back again than her I believe.

Bo Ra Cho - I think as we had him as guest last game.. we will not see him again. Personally I think he needs a drastic redesign. Games have come a long way and the farting and vomiting just feel out of place in the more serious MK. I think this is why he was a DLC.. as he is awesome.. but the "stupid video game fun" is not the same now. Things need to be balanced and well designed. I think the "crazy" times are over. If they remade him a little more serious, beefing up the drunken master angle and downplaying the silliness I think he would be in better standing in the games current style and player base.

HOTARU - I have no real opinions on this guy. I mean he is just one the the heard. I can't think of anything that makes him worthy of inclusion. He has nothing bad about him really.. but when you think of cool MK characters you haven't seen for ages and would like to.. his name just doesn't come to mind. He is just "meh". Not unique enough to stand out and not interesting enough to be remembered fondly, at least to me.

LI MEI - IMO, she would make a great addition. More chick fighters the better I say and what I love about this one is that she is a legit old school MK character, but has a very different look. It could add some needed variety to the styles of outfits. I think she is bit like Hotaru as in she is not at the front of everyone's mind but I think it is important for them to mine obscure characters as well... and a high profile female character would be awesome. The more I think about it the more this could be another great pick... but I would be surprised if she is in it.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I remember the MKM: Sub Zero game. Sareena was with her other two sisters, Jataaka and Kia. They had potential to fight with the roster, and especially Sub Zero, whom they fought so valiantly. If Sareena comes back, I hope to see Jataaka and Kia back as well as variations, just like MKX's Cyborgs.

What @HeavyNorse said is true about Fujin. If I remember well, Fujin and Raiden serve as the Earthrealm's protectors. In MKX, Fujin has led himself at that whirlwind portal to protect this side, while Raiden had to take care of this mess Earthrealm was in along with half of the old and half of the new fighters. Since Raiden has gone dark, I believe that they'll bring back Fujin to take care of things in his stead. I hope to see him back, now that Raiden is gone to the dark side.

BTW, Li Mei is cute. TBH, it'd be funny, if she fought against Kitana over Liu Kang. I don't know her well, but it'd be nice if she was applied in.

As for the others, no objection, but DELET THIS Hotaru pic killing Sub Zero. :gun:

subzert

Frozen Soul
NetherRealm has time and again proven that they can surprise their fans in ways unfathomable so theres no reason why if X is in the game Y has to be too since they are related.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Just take a look at MKX, character which were in the Story but had no major influence over it at all:
Reptile
Hold on now. Reptile's knowledge of Mileena's origins is the main reason D'Vorah decided to fully back Kotal. She had her doubts about Mileena, but it's not until Reptile reveals she was created in the Flesh Pits that D'Vorah jumps in full swing to support Kotal.

vapid

cyber warlord
Need:

Fujin
Havik
Reiko

Want:

Frost
Sareena
Li Mei

Really not bothered about the others, but maybe they can do something with Hotaru... but I seriously doubt he and Fujin will co-exist in MK11, as they both fill the calm, white-haired wise good magic/warrior type role.

Havik and Hotaru could make a return without the useless complication of two more realms. Havik could just be a guy who was locked away, but now with the timeline shifting brought back to life or just someone who works in the background and waited for the perfect time to make himself known. Hotaru could serve as the main leader to bring back order into the different timelines. Depending on the Oracle's goal, both Hotaru and Havik could serve under her.