What's new

Op-Ed: how to redeem the 'forgotten' characters of the 3D Era

Fuck every new normal dude character, this is mortal kombat give me skull dudes and magical ninja robots with horse legs, not Taven some guy in a vest. or the daughter/son of a character either

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
they had a girl subzero so then they had a girl raiden.

Turns out _____ character, but a lady instead isn't exactly a compelling or interesting design.
True, but Frost is very different from Sub Zero in personality. I personally felt like MKX Sub Zero's gameplay was completely out of place for the character: he's supposed to be wise and patient, but in gameplay he's just a rushdown mixup machine. Frost should take that role in my opinion, and good old Sub Zero should return to the more chill perfect design of MK9.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
True personality is conveyed in the game. The 2 sentences of her ending don't magically transfer it to everything else.

Look at a character like Cassie Cage, you don't need no 2 sentences in an ending to tell you what her personality is about. That is an actual character with personality.
I meant the behaviour she displayed in MKX, short as it was.

She has absolutely no reason to hate Hanzo or the Shirai Ryu. She joined the Lin Kuei far after the two clans were clashing, having absolutely no relation to their past feud. And still she disagreed with Kuai Liang, her grandmaster, about bringing peace between the two... and outright attacked Hanzo when Kuai Liang was offering him tea in the name of peace.

That's one stupid bitch right there. Subbie should kick her ass out of the Lin Kuei for directly disobeying him and attacking Hanzo like that without reason.

Otherwise, you're right. That's really all she had to offer.

Zaccel

Noob
I have a soft spot for Kobra. The series since MKII and on has been pretty good about supplying cool "monster" characters (like Baraka, Reptile, Sheeva, Nitara, Armageddon bosses, Ferra/Torr, etc.), but is remarkably slim on fucked-up "normal" people. Kobra, as a generic (if sociopathic) street fighter, is in a remarkably good position to encompass humanity as the real monsters etc.

However, I don't think Kobra has a shot. Mavado, Hsu Hao and Shujinko are screwed too. Dairou is probably too generic, but Darrius could get lucky.

mattteo

Noob
Look at a character like Cassie Cage, you don't need no 2 sentences in an ending to tell you what her personality is about. That is an actual character with personality.

LMAO ;))))) Cassie Cage has personality? The stupidest Mortal Kombat character ever, shoved down our throats by the NRS team, all of them being instructed to say on social media that she "is their new favourite character" before MKX.

Has a personality that makes you puke, that's what Mary Sue has.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ashrah, yes please. Lose the hat. Thinking some sort of holy type character. Using light as her weapon with healing moves and such.

The rest are whatever.

But never bring that SF hoe Kobra back.

trufenix

bye felicia
Just in case anybody needs a refresher on where all the mk characters not as popular as Leatherface, Bo Rai Cho and Cyber Sub Zero are as of their last "canon" appearance.

MKA:
Darrius - Dies, or gets a magic ring
Khameleon - Dies, who cares she was in two games.
Mokap - Dies, or gets killed in his own ending

MK9
Hotaru - Body is visible in story mode intro at least
Motaro - Survives story mode, unseen in MKX. Appears in several backgrounds fighting living characters.
Onaga - Appears in Raiden's visions and referenced in Shao Kahn's bio, unreferenced in MKX story intro tho.

MKX Comics:
Drahmin - Possibly appears, no name given. His mask is gear in MKX mobile though.
Havik - Killed, severed (talking) head given to the Oni in Netherrealm.
Hsu Hao - Killed by Scorpion
Jarek - Either working for or killed by Kotal
Mavado - Killed by Cassie and Jacqui
Nitara - Unseen, but is referenced as the instigator of Blood Magic
Reiko - Killed by, I don't remember, but he dead.
Shujinko - Old already, briefly possessed by Havik.

MKX:
Blaze - At the pit, fighting Rain.
Daegon - Leader of the Red Dragon, killed in Kenshi's ending.
Moloch - Alive in the comics, but confirmed to be the head Quan Chi carries through the portal.
Chameleon - Reptile knows of him and BRC mentions knowing of "another zaterran".
Frost - Possibly frozen to death for interrupting Daddy and Scorpion watching the ball game.
Fujin - Last seen in the Jinsei Chamber, disagreeing with Raiden over what to do about the amulet.
Kai - Was originally in early MKX Story mode drafts, his role was given to Bo Rai Cho.
Kira - Namedropped by Kung Lao in dialogue
Kobra - Killed by Erron Black, mentioned in dialogue
Li Mei - Outworld informant for Special Forces
Meat - A lot of people wanted that thing in Quan Chi's lab to be Shao Kahn, but it wasn't. . . could it be?
Taven - Freed in Kenshi / Takeda's endings.

The retcons begin tomorrow! Get hype!

mattteo

Noob
Dude, that list is so wrong, it's like you did it on purpose!

Motaro does NOT survive the events of MK9.

Khameleon....why would you even get into saying she;s dead? She appears in Reptile's ending in MKX.

Drahmin....you must have not seen the end of the MKX comic.

Daegon is not killed, Kenshi's ending is a "what if?"

Frost is not frozen to death.