What's new

Online play broken (Series X).. or is it just me?

Got myself a Series X the other week...

Updated MK11 and played for about 3 days, constant matchups in KL, never waiting long for a new player. It was great esp if you get someone also with Series X, load time is superfast.

Since Sunday i have played 2 matches... Two! Go to online, Ranked Mode/KL/Kasual and the spinner sits there. If I get a matchup and play that game, then there won't be another game at all... literally no more no matter how long i wait. If that first match up is declined, there won't be any more matches.... at all. I've left the game doing it's thing while doing other stuff for hours... and it's still sitting there "looking for opponent".

Not sure if it's related to the PC play anywhere/Xbox crossplay patch, as it came out a few days before, as i had at least 2 or 3 days where i was playing as normal with no issues.

Deleted and reinstalled the game. Used a different profile. Reset router... nothing works.

Have tweeted WBGamesSupport... they're passing it on ... whatever that's supposed to mean. I don't believe it's a console issue, as everything else seems to work and also having the same issue on the PC (play anywhere) version.

One thing that i've noticed is that the Krossplay rooms don't always show up, and instead i get a room selection with only about 5 players in various rooms, instead of the 40-60 in the Krossplay rooms + others.

Going from being able to constantly find players to almost Zero, i'm thinking there's a problem somewhere. This is eerily similar to the connecting to online bug that I had with MKX years ago, that took about 3months to fix IIRC.

Anyone else run into something like this?

Don't do Discord, but now's a good a time as any. I created a twitter account previously solely due to the aforementioned bug with MKX.
I prefer forums myself, but sadly most forums are in decline because of Discord.

There are no longer official forums for Mortal Kombat, but there is an official Discord. You might have better luck there as actual moderators will be replying to you.

because of Discord.
Seems it's just IRC from the old days with video/audio as an option... Great for in the moment conversations, but useless for data retention.

You might have better luck there as actual moderators will be replying to you.
So far nothing... "wait for a reply from WBGames support" of which i'm not holding my breath for any reply based on previous experiences.

Not sure what the NRS/WB reps are there for, seems they don't get involved at all from what i can tell.

Seems it's just IRC from the old days with video/audio as an option... Great for in the moment conversations, but useless for data retention.
Yeah, it's basically a instant messenger client. There are "pins" for data retention, but it's absolutely not the same as a proper forum discussion or archive. Traditional forums are, in my opinion, vastly superior.

Not sure what the NRS/WB reps are there for, seems they don't get involved at all from what i can tell.
NetherRealms Studios has nothing to do with support, it's all WB Games. Generally speaking, the benefit of reaching out to support is that the issue does get logged, and if it's a larger issue, it will get looked at (though not necessarily right away) and it allows Support to gather additional info from you directly.

Support actually helping individual issues, be it WB Support, Bethesda Support, Blizzard Support, etc., they all aren't very helpful. You have to go through the motions of cut and paste answers from them for a few days before any chance of getting real support, and real support isn't always guaranteed, sadly.

On the topic of user support, do you have a PC that can run the game? If so, have you tried the Microsoft Store version there to see if matchmaking is working better? I assume your NAT is open to moderate?

If so, have you tried the Microsoft Store version there to see if matchmaking is working better?
I have, but it was the same last time i checked. I think I checked the PC version to see how the new pc/xbox crossplay would work. Found one player that I used to play on xbox. But after that no more games.

It's quite possible that all this started happening after playing the PC version and there's some weird server mismatch thing going on.

Might give another go later today. Interestingly seems to be fine on Xbox One, played some casual and ranked games yesterday. Although what's more annoying is that the intention was to get rid of the One because the X was to replace it.

I assume your NAT is open to moderate?
NAT is and always has been open. Everything about this is weird, as since i bought the Series X everything was working fine. It was no different to playing on the Xbox One, only load times were faster for some matches. Then all of a sudden i wasn't getting any matches.

I have, but it was the same last time i checked. I think I checked the PC version to see how the new pc/xbox crossplay would work. Found one player that I used to play on xbox. But after that no more games.

It's quite possible that all this started happening after playing the PC version and there's some weird server mismatch thing going on.

Might give another go later today. Interestingly seems to be fine on Xbox One, played some casual and ranked games yesterday. Although what's more annoying is that the intention was to get rid of the One because the X was to replace it.

NAT is and always has been open. Everything about this is weird, as since i bought the Series X everything was working fine. It was no different to playing on the Xbox One, only load times were faster for some matches. Then all of a sudden i wasn't getting any matches.
It does sound like you've covered all your bases. I'm not sure what other troubleshooting steps you could take, outside of going through WB Support and/or Xbox Support.

Two weeks later and nothing has changed... waiting to see if i can get an update from WB support on twitter, but not liking my chances of any resolution.

Of all the systems that this had to happen to it had to be the X, if it was PC or One, i wouldn't have cared.

Really ridiculous as i've been playing consistently on Xone the past few days, but jump to X or PC and it's just nothing. Today waited 5+mins on X with nothing, then within 2sec I get a match on One?! Even more annoying is that a big part of buying an X was because I could sell off the One and still play the older One games, and specifically MK with the next gen updates.

At this point if it meant they have to delete my entire profile I don't think i'd care, although i don't think that's the fix as using another profile has the same issue.

Just noticed that the X (and PC) seems to take a long time to sync data, compared to a 1-2secs on One. Not sure if related, but odd that the better console is dragging it's feet. If it's a network issue, i'm stumped as both are on the same network, and nothing changed from the day it was working to the day it didn't, which leads me to it being a server side issue.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
That's a bummer. I have an S, and I was interested in the prospect of playing the Xbox pool of players a little, but I don't see anyone from the PC side. If it's likely messed up from the console side too, then I'm extra disinterested in paying to end up where you are. The recent update doesn't really specify what to expect, and if the pool of players can't freely and reliably play, then I don't know why they bothered. Kind of worse trying, and failing.

On the other hand, it seems like if it was affecting everyone, there would to be enough Series-X players that you couldn't just break the online for the entire set of console owners and it not being noticed. Maybe it is very isolated.

An odd bug I've been having on Xbox Series X is when I record game footage, the clip's audio is out of sync by about 2 seconds. In my list of recorded clips anything from Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate also shows as being recorded around 257 years ago :eek:.

This was not happening with my Xbox One X.

Either of you having this on your Xbox Series consoles?

Maybe it is very isolated.
I've read posts in various other places with people in similar situations and on PS5, but they're mostly from some time ago. Nothing recent. But, yes that's my biggest concern, it's just a very small number of people that it's affecting so chances of them looking into it is slim.

I can only hope that whatever it is resolves itself magically, or they actually do/are looking into the problem.

Either of you having this on your Xbox Series consoles?
As with Gooberking, i don't do that stuff. Might play around a little later today.

@theotherguy I stumbled across this last night. Perhaps it applies to you as well? It is from a bit ago, but perhaps the issue has cropped up again.

On an aside, I'm competing in the Race Against Time for those Jade skins, and I did 7 Towers and I'm in the top 1.5% already! This is on Xbox Series X. That never happened with so few towers on my Xbox One X. I'm still pretty certain that the two consoles, despite both being Xbox, are different Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate ecosystems that use Krossplay specifically to connect. I don't have Xbox Live Gold though so I can't verify this for Multiplayer.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
KL is not working right either on PS4. or earlier this morning. you could get KOH or regular matches and even if you got matches in KL in and they would discon at lower mode it normally counts as a win or you at least get points. it just acted like nothing happened. Sadly...I think the NRS games are loosing their fun factor big time. Injustice2 has been a barren wastland. it seems odd too cuz Ultimate MK11 is on a massive sales right now if you haven't bougtht it. Honestly....it is kinda rare I encounter people that I Think are actually new to the game.

KL is not working right either on PS4. or earlier this morning. you could get KOH or regular matches and even if you got matches in KL snaptube vidmate in and they would discon at lower mode it normally counts as a win or you at least get points. it just acted like nothing happened. Sadly...I think the NRS games are loosing their fun factor big time. Injustice2 has been a barren wastland. it seems odd too cuz Ultimate MK11 is on a massive sales right now if you haven't bougtht it. Honestly....it is kinda rare I encounter people that I Think are actually new to the game.
Well because of the level you are in the people that you know and where you put your interest of the game ! but there are actually new players that recognise the game everyday and that is proven by statistics

Last edited:
I'm still pretty certain that the two consoles, despite both being Xbox, are different Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate ecosystems that use Krossplay specifically to connect
On the extremely rare occasion that i get a match on Series X, i've been asking the past few players what console they're playing on - most have said they're on One - mostly evident as the load time is much longer. A few players i've bumped into on both consoles as I switch between them.

Not sure what you're referring to with regards to Krossplay, as whatever networking they use behind the scenes is irrelevant so long as players can match up with each other. Whether it's XBO-XBO, or XBSX-XBO via Krossplay doesn't (or shouldn't) really make a difference.

I'm 100% certain in saying that both consoles can, do, and have connected with each others player bases (on ranked) based on my initial experience of the game and the following testing/questions. For whatever reason, I (and others??) are stuck in this weird limbo state or random server where only a few people are lingering and therefore get extremely limited matchups.

In reply to someone's semi-related question on Discord, it was alluded to that MultiVS might be taking some of MK's players and/or resources leading to such situations... but then why isn't the same situation happening on Xbox One?

There's also the option where because the matchmaking is so pathetic people are just leaving the game, so you have less players to match with, leading to more people being annoyed and leaving the game.

On the extremely rare occasion that i get a match on Series X, i've been asking the past few players what console they're playing on - most have said they're on One - mostly evident as the load time is much longer. A few players i've bumped into on both consoles as I switch between them.

Not sure what you're referring to with regards to Krossplay, as whatever networking they use behind the scenes is irrelevant so long as players can match up with each other. Whether it's XBO-XBO, or XBSX-XBO via Krossplay doesn't (or shouldn't) really make a difference.

I'm 100% certain in saying that both consoles can, do, and have connected with each others player bases (on ranked) based on my initial experience of the game and the following testing/questions. For whatever reason, I (and others??) are stuck in this weird limbo state or random server where only a few people are lingering and therefore get extremely limited matchups.

In reply to someone's semi-related question on Discord, it was alluded to that MultiVS might be taking some of MK's players and/or resources leading to such situations... but then why isn't the same situation happening on Xbox One?

There's also the option where because the matchmaking is so pathetic people are just leaving the game, so you have less players to match with, leading to more people being annoyed and leaving the game.
I don't have Xbox Live Gold, so I can't verify, but according to the official Krossplay FAQ from WB Games, and also based on the understanding of the official Discord's moderators, Kombat Leagued, Ranked, and general matchmaking do not work from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 and Xbox One to Xbox Series. In order to play with people from different consoles from different generations/platforms, you need to specifically use the Krossplay Rooms.

Again, I can not verify this myself and could be wrong.

Or perhaps they were looking at changing/expanding how Krossplay worked and things have buggered up.

Xbox but it doesn’t matter since there is cross play no?
Yes and no. If you play with crossplay enabled in kasual or rooms, then it shouldn't - generally i can find players relatively regularly. Ranked is Xbox only, and even with that sometimes i can find regular games, other times they can drag out. I think this is very much timezone/region dependent.

But as mentioned above there's this weird situation where you can wait forever for a game. To me it does seem crossplay related in that: if you go into rooms and see the krossplay rooms, then chances are you will find a ranked game relatively quickly (even though it's xbox only). If there aren't any krossplay rooms showing, then you will wait forever for a ranked match.

Also, everytime i've been stuck waiting for more than a few mins in ranked, then go to rooms the krossplay rooms will be missing. Exit online, go back in check for krossplay rooms, try ranked and most of the time i'll get a game within a few mins.

Also it seems if your rewards or points don't update you'll be waiting for a loooooooong time as well, like there's something blocking the matchmaking if they're not updated.

A lot of this is just speculation but when the same thing happens over and over it's the only way i can make sense of it. I'm pretty sure i spend more time flipping through menus than playing the game at times.

I've made complaints to WB support a number of times and they're as good as useless.

And here we go again... Worked fine between end of Aug to end of Dec, now broken again.

This time there's a bunch of people complaining about it on Discord, so at least i'm not alone.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It's interesting if it straightened out for a time. I'm all set up on Xbox now, but outside of playing a couple of matches to test a controller, I haven't really looked at the game in a long time. Seemed like it was doing ok when I had tried

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
My guess is isn’t a console problem, but a mk11 servers problem.
The last few days i been trying to play in both ps4 and ps5 and it has been absolute shit

People are complaining about server issues on the official Discord in general right now. PC, Xbox, and PlayStation. I'd assume Switch as well.