What's new

"Once I beat SonicFox I'm done with the game forever", PunkDaGod challenges the best in Injustice 2

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
i don't follow SF nor MvC. i strictly watch MKX/MK9/IGAU. i may have seen him play but i don't recognize the name. and i watch A LOT of all 3 of those games.

EDIT: why would i know him? 1 IGAU tourney & 5 MXK.
http://rank.shoryuken.com/rankings/player/byname/Justin Wong#MKX
You would know him because he's played and placed in all of those games for one and two because it's much the same how only Capcom followers would know Sonicfox even before his stint in SFV. When someone gets so big in their respective scene inevitably they will be discussed on stream by commentators or comparisons are made or even this hypothetical someone sometimes show up randomly on stream.

never claimed to be tuned in to the FGC as a whole. just the NRS side
Didn't say you claimed that; however, NRS is part of the FGC which has natural crossover between franchises and Justin has played every NRS game.

KiD DyNaMiCz

GT: Deeejuz
You would know him because he's played and placed in all of those games for one and two because it's much the same how only Capcom followers would know Sonicfox even before his stint in SFV. When someone gets so big in their respective scene inevitably they will be discussed on stream by commentators or comparisons are made or even this hypothetical someone sometimes show up randomly on stream.

Didn't say you claimed that; however, NRS is part of the FGC which has natural crossover between franchises and Justin has played every NRS game.
none of this makes any sense. 1. i've never heard of him before, i don't see why this is a big deal. 2. most (MOST, not all) of the tourneys he's placed at are meh asf. 3. Sonic Fox is undisputedly THE #1 guy in our community. of course people are gonna know him. but i don't believe this Justin guy is THE #1 Guy (could be wrong, but i doubt it seeing as this OP's thread is about the #1 SFV guy). i guarantee if you ask a guy who strictly watches SF who Forever King or Biohazard is (no diss to them) they'd have no idea.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
There's this myth that Capcom games are the highest level fighting games .
SFV makes me cry big man tears =[

This is all pretty silly. Its fun in its way, but its silly. Fox has been playing Inj2 for a WHILE now, so even giving Punk the benefit of the doubt and thinking he has the skill of Fox, Fox has a huge experience lead. Fox has been dominant in multiple NRS titles, and Punk has JUST risen to prominence in V (which imo is.. Its.. Its a fighting game. Lets just agree on that) and was something of a running joke in SFIV apparently.

I dunno.

I'm a Capcom player primarily, or at least consider myself that, but every game has its own skill-set and saying one skill set is superior to another is extremely silly. What about games like Tekken where characters have 70+ friggen moves and the entire high-level meta revolves around a batshit backdash cancel that people practice for two damn years and still cant do in some instances.. Or GG where the notion of a BnB is laughable because it all changes depending on where you hit them, who you hit, what you hit them with, THE ANGLE THEY LAUNCH OR FALL FROM, on top of a million pieces of MU knowledge required, etc etc. What about those games? Are Tekken players 'the best'? or GG? Or SF? Or NRS? League of Legends? Chess? Monopoly?

Fun, but childish.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
none of this makes any sense. 1. i've never heard of him before, i don't see why this is a big deal. 2. most (MOST, not all) of the tourneys he's placed at are meh asf. 3. Sonic Fox is undisputedly THE #1 guy in our community. of course people are gonna know him. but i don't believe this Justin guy is THE #1 Guy (could be wrong, but i doubt it seeing as this OP's thread is about the #1 SFV guy). i guarantee if you ask a guy who strictly watches SF who Forever King or Biohazard is (no diss to them) they'd have no idea.
Educate yourself.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

This is all pretty silly. Its fun in its way, but its silly. Fox has been playing Inj2 for a WHILE now, so even giving Punk the benefit of the doubt and thinking he has the skill of Fox, Fox has a huge experience lead. Fox has been dominant in multiple NRS titles, and Punk has JUST risen to prominence in V (which imo is.. Its.. Its a fighting game. Lets just agree on that) and was something of a running joke in SFIV apparently.

I dunno.

I'm a Capcom player primarily, or at least consider myself that, but every game has its own skill-set and saying one skill set is superior to another is extremely silly. What about games like Tekken where characters have 70+ friggen moves and the entire high-level meta revolves around a batshit backdash cancel that people practice for two damn years and still cant do in some instances.. Or GG where the notion of a BnB is laughable because it all changes depending on where you hit them, who you hit, what you hit them with, THE ANGLE THEY LAUNCH OR FALL FROM, on top of a million pieces of MU knowledge required, etc etc. What about those games? Are Tekken players 'the best'? or GG? Or SF? Or NRS? League of Legends? Chess? Monopoly?

Fun, but childish.
Yeah, I guess the stigma stems from the fact that games like Street Fighter have the largest tournament player base and one of the larger international bases. So if you're on top in the current Street Fighter, you're toated as some sort of God of fighting games.

The only "Gods of fighting games" to me are the players who have been consistently consistent for years. Punk is new to the top, he's just feeling himself too much and seemingly unaware better men than him have tried and failed to dethrone Fox or to dominate NRS games. Which none of that is really a big deal. We are just tired of being outright disrespected even AFTER they fail to win. They don't say "oh wel shit, GG, I was wrong y'all are good at your shit". No, they either quietly go back to their game or call the game/scene trash and tell us to see them in a "real game". It's fuckin dumb m8.

jmt

Noob
SFV is the worst fighter i have ever play, i don't give a shit about respect, if game is garbage I won't play it period.

also MK/Inj/Tekken are more famous than sfv.
Just because you are bad at the game doesn't mean it's the worst fighter.

And sf is waaaaay more famous/popular than Tekken/nrs games. Just stop man.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Just because you are bad at the game doesn't mean it's the worst fighter.

And sf is waaaaay more famous/popular than Tekken/nrs games. Just stop man.
sf is in no quantifiable way more popular than MK. Sales, public awareness, any metric you want MK always gonna win.

If he's going to promise to quit Injustice 2 once he beats Sonic Fox, he should also swear to play no other game whatsoever until he beats Sonic Fox. That'd make it a lot more interesting.

It also seems lame to have the litmus test be one single match. I mean, best 3/5 is one thing, but declaring 1/5 a "victory" is silly. World Champion Magnus Carlsen is clearly the best chess player in the world, but even he loses a game here and there.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt

I dunno.

Fun, but childish.
maybe the narutards or Eternal champions players r the best around ?

(just kidding guys xD)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Sfv has more 50/50 guessing per round than mkx did at the height of it's 50/50ness. A fucking jab in SF is a 50/50. Knock someone down? 50/50. Stand semi close to someone? Ongoing 50/50. Microwave a burrito? 50/50. Win? 50/50. Lose 50/50. Combo someone? 50/50. There are (and I'm not kidding here) 50/50 situations that lead to combos that have a 50/50 reset into 50/50 oki on the knock down.

Ya know what though? Sfiv had 50/50s too. So does KOF. GG. Etc. All fighting games do. But MK seems to have gotten this weird reputation for it that's no more or less warranted than the same applied to any other game.

It's Ford vs Chevy. Domestic vs Import. My dick vs yours. Basketball vs Football. Golf vs a Nap. Etc. People just feel this need to believe that whatever they're doing or thinking is RIGHT and any challenge to that starts to get panties in a twist and tits thoroughly uncalmed. I dont understand it, but it's there regardless.

Sfv has more 50/50 guessing per round than mkx did at the height of it's 50/50ness. A fucking jab in SF is a 50/50. Knock someone down? 50/50. Stand semi close to someone? Ongoing 50/50. Microwave a burrito? 50/50. Win? 50/50. Lose 50/50. Combo someone? 50/50. There are (and I'm not kidding here) 50/50 situations that lead to combos that have a 50/50 reset into 50/50 oki on the knock down.

Ya know what though? Sfiv had 50/50s too. So does KOF. GG. Etc. All fighting games do. But MK seems to have gotten this weird reputation for it that's no more or less warranted than the same applied to any other game.

It's Ford vs Chevy. Domestic vs Import. My dick vs yours. Basketball vs Football. Golf vs a Nap. Etc. People just feel this need to believe that whatever they're doing or thinking is RIGHT and any challenge to that starts to get panties in a twist and tits thoroughly uncalmed. I dont understand it, but it's there regardless.
The difference here is that NRS people have been working to build their own scene, enjoying the game that they love, and it is the Capcom people that feel compelled to come over and start attacking our games. Apparently there is something about playing a Capcom game that turns some people into raging a$$h0les. Live and let live is a fine philosophy until someone isn't letting you live.

It is just bizarre. I mean, if Kobe Bryant saw some guys playing Stratego in the park and went over to their table and started berating them for playing a game that isn't nearly as great as his game because he makes millions of dollars, that would be a d**k move. Even if he might be right about the money, it is completely lame of him to go out of his way to attack the guys who were minding their own business. People would be right to think, "Hey, wtf is your problem? If you don't like it why don't you just go away? No one here was saying we're better at your game of basketball than you are or that Stratego is better than basketball, so why are you being a jerk?"

Warning to everyone: stay away from Capcom games! There's a risk that they'll turn you into a jackass. We've seen it in the past and it isn't pretty. Street Fighter should have a warning label: "Warning: This game may make you feel compelled to irrationally insult players of other games for no apparent reason."

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Don't know why Punk so sassy about the whole thing

Once I beat sonic fox I will give him a runback, I mean gotta give the guy a chance to beat me at least one time.

Uh every game has mixups it's how you get people to stop blocking. Only difference is that SF 50/50s are all either reactable or punishable and no one is making you guess multiple times in a row without spending meter. You're insane if you think the mix ups in sfv come as fast and hard as they did in early mkx. Only character that could maybe come close is Laura.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
In what way? When I go to a stream I see the game getting shit on. What, as a community, could be done to prevent ignorance like that?
For starters, not giving stream monsters easy ammo by shitting on the game ourselves. If TYM is anything to go by MKX has been dead/dying after its first EVO. Even in this thread you have people who have made it their life's work for the past 2 years to shit on MKX after they found out they didn't like it. In addition, there are also some pretty big names in the NRS scene (and well known in the larger FGC) who have nothing but negative things to say about the game in pretty big public platforms when they are either on hiatus from fighting games or are not doing so hot in the current iteration of the game. And now a large section of the NRS community has chosen entirely to abandon MKX because of hype which I mean you can't force people to play a game but just some people's disposition has changed entirely; regularly players of MKX singing a tune along the lines of "Thank God for I2 because I never liked this 50/50 simulator to begin with." This community seems intent on viewing different franchise entries from NRS as a zero sum game while the Capcom community is happy to have each franchise exist when they have solid entries and even when the entries aren't that solid.

Capcom players mock the crap out of SFV and even big names will take Capcom to task with questionable changes and decisions, but the community doesn't actively try to smother the game like NRS players do.

Last edited: