What's new

On your knees, day 6 Kotal Kahn impressions.

Yepp i felt the same for this 100%!!! Sadly there is no AMP option for either, and the air version (Tecuami Pounce) has no overhead. The only thing i could figure worth ending with it in Totemic variation, is using at the end of some strings to carry ez to corner but this character already has forward carry combo potential in either variation without Tecuami Maul.. One thing that is unfortunate that i originally speculated the move would have is the ability to go under high hitting projectiles. Similar to scarecrows F1 in injustice, i was expecting you can use it to force whiff by diving below high projectiles, closing in and punish zoning. I really wished Kotal Kahns Tecuani Maul had this potential or at least something to AMP. Love the animation of the move but seems far too weak when compared to the options given by the Ascension variation.
This is wrong. Despite what the move list says, cat form can be amplified (both the air and grounded version). Amplified gives projectile immunity, but its not on 1f. So you can't do it on reaction.

Malec

Noob
Imo 4 things need to change:

-make his command throw either beeing able to control the side you throw your opponent at or make it baseline not switching sides at all

-sunbeam and totem need somewhat acceptable recovery.

-God Ray needs to go, this ability is a joke

-make his jumping hitbox not so hideous. I can't barely jump over projectiles

They need to...

Either make f1 a mid

or make b2 faster and a mid

either way he needs a decently fast mid that can be hit confirmed into a combo

his air cat is super punishable and gives almost no reward on hit. It doesn't even give good knockdown advantage.

his grounded cat needs to do significantly more damage to be worth using

his projectile has too much startup

the uppercut needs to be made a base move

They need to...

Either make f1 a mid

or make b2 faster and a mid

either way he needs a decently fast mid that can be hit confirmed into a combo

his air cat is super punishable and gives almost no reward on hit. It doesn't even give good knockdown advantage.

his grounded cat needs to do significantly more damage to be worth using

his projectile has too much startup

the uppercut needs to be made a base move
Ground Cat is for corner carry and projectile immunity (when amplified) only. Not damage from what I see.
Air Cat is +6f on hit but if you cancel it from a jump kick it becomes +12f-13f on hit.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I am having some serious problems with my boy. Good God he's slow, and that command grab suuuuuucks. Anyone have any footage so I can get a visual aid?

I am having some serious problems with my boy. Good God he's slow, and that command grab suuuuuucks. Anyone have any footage so I can get a visual aid?
Kotal is likely worst character in the game. At beginning Kotal's command grab were better outside of combos but there were bug which caused F+3 to allow guaranted command grab on block if it wasnt Perfect Block. NRS "hotfixed" it by changing his command grab. I dont know much more but I assume it were designed as key element of many mixups he had. With it gone Kotal is Crippled.

Kotal is likely worst character in the game. At beginning Kotal's command grab were better outside of combos but there were bug which caused F+3 to allow guaranted command grab on block if it wasnt Perfect Block. NRS "hotfixed" it by changing his command grab. I dont know much more but I assume it were designed as key element of many mixups he had. With it gone Kotal is Crippled.
I think its way too early to say Kotal is the worst character in the game.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Does the amplified choke grant a longer buff? Or stronger buff? What's the use of amplified choke except for more damage?

Malec

Noob
How else will people cry and repeat it over and over again as an excuse instead of logically switching characters?
ok couple of things:

-bitching about others bitching all the time isn't really much better...
-comparing all the NRS games since mk9, would you rather have left the games in there release state balance wise? or at there final state? and if you think they were more balanced towards the end? how the hell do you think that happend?
-if you think Kotal is SSSS tier and he is fine and you destroy everyone and his mother with him, than good for you, enjoy it, but don't try to force your opinion on everybody else, cause there is a good reason that a lot of people are complaining about him beeing slow, not having mids, not having combos without kahn cut, have no tick throws outside of d1 to rely on, switching sides everytime you use command throw, having absurd amount of recovery on totems and beam and the unblockable for that matter.
-if people wanna complain, let them complain. it doesnt make you look smarter or anything to tell them how stupid they are and how great Kotal is, when hes clearly not and also perfectly executing wavedashing doesnt change that, it might help, but it doesnt put him into god tiers.

and I am sorry for sounding to harsh maybe, but I was watching you complaining about nearly every post someone is saying something about kotal not beeing that great and it really starts to annoy the shit out of me

KingJerm731

Psn: kingjermx
He’s not the best but people also aren’t playing him correctly. Everyone wants to face roll. Play footsies, learn where he’s strong. ‍♂ Chances are he’s gonna get some tuning at some point and if you put work in this version you’ll be a better player when he’s adjusted. The only people that can bitch at all are people going to combo breaker and if that’s the case you should just pick broke tier for the first marge tournament anyhow.

Malec

Noob
He’s not the best but people also aren’t playing him correctly. Everyone wants to face roll. Play footsies, learn where he’s strong. ‍♂ Chances are he’s gonna get some tuning at some point and if you put work in this version you’ll be a better player when he’s adjusted. The only people that can bitch at all are people going to combo breaker and if that’s the case you should just pick broke tier for the first marge tournament anyhow.
Tuning is all the majority of people want, to bring him more in line with the 20 characters above him.
I mean there will always be people who fantasize for a new I win button move, but yeah let them have their dreams

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
It also puts them further away so you can't meaty F2 lol
I haven’t dared bring my Kotal online but I use amplified choke ender when I really want damage or when I feel I’m too close to the corner for comfort and I want to throw them away further. Is that about right?

amplified cat??????????????????????????
Yes yes you can amplify it. Depsite what it says. Both the air and grounded version.

So after playing for a couple weeks. My perspective is:

He needs a faster mid.

Amplified ground cat should have projectile immunity on 1f. Right now...it seems like its on 10f or so.

Ground cat should put a bit closer to the opponent.

F2 active frames should be buffed from 2 to 3.

B22 should be safe on block.

Sun Ray needs its recovery significantly lowered.

The floating timing when kotal hits some one with Kahn cut needs to be adjusted. So landing the follow up f12 is more intuitive. Right now it just feels odd. No other character I've encountered has this strange timing.

Sword cut needs a larger hit box. Its terrible for setting up the KB because of it. The opponent can just jump kick you, when clearly the sword touched them before they touched you.

Totems need reworked entirely. They feel awful compared to how they were in X. Either they need to increase their duration significantly or reduce their stack to 1.

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Kotal suxxx, the Kahn father Lord Pnut has drowned in pools at Texas Showdown. #BuffKotal