What's new

old school mk scene

Is anyone from these forums from bak when mk2 first hit arcades? I always ehar about the early sf2 scene from 92 and such but not much about mk2i know mk2 is the second most selling fighting game cabnet under sf2

so how was the scene for mk2 and umk3 back then? i never hear about umk3 n arcades at all i think it got mostly discovered years later and loved right? like 3s didnt get popular in usa till 2004 evo

There is this video about umk3.

There are some oldschool people like @UMKShock on twitter.

yeah is aw this recently tbh i think the old school mk scene would grow more if people put more info out there

like kof not alot of people put out stratiegy all uc an find is how to do super moves.. theres not alot of info like who has the bets sweep in the game best jabs what to do at each range ect.

the lack of a practice mode makes this even more of a reason for there to be tutorial vids online for these games everyone has nostalgia for the game but they go online and get murdered and quit lol cause u either suck or you are good at the game much like the sf2s

yeah is aw this recently tbh i think the old school mk scene would grow more if people put more info out there

like kof not alot of people put out stratiegy all uc an find is how to do super moves.. theres not alot of info like who has the bets sweep in the game best jabs what to do at each range ect.

the lack of a practice mode makes this even more of a reason for there to be tutorial vids online for these games everyone has nostalgia for the game but they go online and get murdered and quit lol cause u either suck or you are good at the game much like the sf2s
Most of the people who are here or have posted in the various classic mk threads are mostly from the forum merges that happened. The information for the character matchups are in their own threads written down but not in video form. It just happens to be that I cannot find the thread which had the individual characters positives and negatives. I do agree that if they did some sort of classic bundle, a practice mode would be nice.

Most of the people who are here or have posted in the various classic mk threads are mostly from the forum merges that happened. The information for the character matchups are in their own threads written down but not in video form. It just happens to be that I cannot find the thread which had the individual characters positives and negatives. I do agree that if they did some sort of classic bundle, a practice mode would be nice.

a game like mk really needs a practice mode since its played nothing like other games like sf or kof u have to learn to use the block button feature and run in mk3 so a youtube tutorial series would be very easy to do just talk while showing some things anyone here could do it

a game like mk really needs a practice mode since its played nothing like other games like sf or kof u have to learn to use the block button feature and run in mk3 so a youtube tutorial series would be very easy to do just talk while showing some things anyone here could do it
I am not saying its bad because I think it could be a great thing but it would take a long time to do especially with the prep time etc. I would rather it be done with structure and professionalism instead of on the spot and messy.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I was pretty young when mk2 hit the arcades but my local gas station had MK for a long before it was out so I had mad practice. mk2 at my arcade was literally a madhouse I think we had 3 cabs and got even crazier when the revision boards would come out. They had to hire more security lol no joke fights every night some at the cab most outside in the smoking area. God damn the shit was hype and fun though I was young though so no one would really fuck with me but they wanted to.

This may or may not be typical of most arcades back then as ours was the only arcade in the area that was not inside a mall so I think it was open till 1am so shit got extra wild this was in Flint, mi btw a not so nice city with a top tier crime\murder rate lol.

Probably my most fond memories of arcades was def with mk2 and having handwritten notes with combos and pages torn out of game informer magazines.

I was pretty young when mk2 hit the arcades but my local gas station had MK for a long before it was out so I had mad practice. mk2 at my arcade was literally a madhouse I think we had 3 cabs and got even crazier when the revision boards would come out. They had to hire more security lol no joke fights every night some at the cab most outside in the smoking area. God damn the shit was hype and fun though I was young though so no one would really fuck with me but they wanted to.

This may or may not be typical of most arcades back then as ours was the only arcade in the area that was not inside a mall so I think it was open till 1am so shit got extra wild this was in Flint, mi btw a not so nice city with a top tier crime\murder rate lol.

Probably my most fond memories of arcades was def with mk2 and having handwritten notes with combos and pages torn out of game informer magazines.

man 3 cabs at a gas station? thats crazy if im reading this right lol

haha no way just the original mk was at the gas station I just mentioned that I got tons of mk practice there before playing mk2 at the arcade.

i worked n an arcade from 2005-2008 and tbh the only people who were worth anything in fighting games had the games at home i dont see how guys can get good with just playing n arcade seeing as though you have to pay a dollar per 4 games

Icefyre

Shadows
When I was young and MKII was in the arcades, they used to put all the special moves on a panel or sheet attached to the arcade game.

I can't believe it's $4/game now lol, it used to be a quarter.

When I was young and MKII was in the arcades, they used to put all the special moves on a panel or sheet attached to the arcade game.

I can't believe it's $4/game now lol, it used to be a quarter.
before arcades closed i remember tekken 5 dr being 75 cents game im glad arcades died n a way there greed was insaneee they could have just charged 8 bucks to enter and just have games on free play that would have saved the scene

i know guys could come up with the special moves but special moves doesnt make you good knowing about footsies ranges ect does and its very hard to find that out having to pay for each game you know

Icefyre

Shadows
i know guys could come up with the special moves but special moves doesnt make you good knowing about footsies ranges ect does and its very hard to find that out having to pay for each game you know
You have to understand that the special moves were the more appealing aspect for kids back then, that and the fatalities. Without those being given to us, we'd have spent all our time playing the game trying to figure them out instead of actually fighting. Having them available actually did help teach you footsies in that respect.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
You have to understand that the special moves were the more app MKealing aspect for kids back then, that and the fatalities. Without those being given to us, we'd have spent all our time playing the game trying to figure them out instead of actually fighting. Having them available actually did help teach you footsies in that respect.
I know for sure mk2 did not have fatalities listed on the cab and I am pretty sure specials were not either. Are you talking about mk3?

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Yea they didn't have the special moves on the MK2 cabinets. You had to either buy a Gamepro magazine or pay your friends for their secrets lol

Icefyre

Shadows
My cabs had them lol. I may be able to dig out some old pictures to prove it, but no promises lol. I didn't play MK3 in arcades, ended up having a home version for that.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I have played every single mk version in the arcade from mk-mk4. It was mostly either at the mall, resort, or movie theater. I was subscribed to game pro and EGM studied all the moves like homework lol.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
One of the better things about mk2 at the arcades is that it freed up other cabs to play with your friends. I loved playing some darkstalkers and Time killers. I think primal rage came out a little after MK2 because people started playing that and I think we lost a mk2 cab around that time.

One of the better things about mk2 at the arcades is that it freed up other cabs to play with your friends. I loved playing some darkstalkers and Time killers. I think primal rage came out a little after MK2 because people started playing that and I think we lost a mk2 cab around that time.

i was 5 when i first saw primal rage n arcade in 1996 it came out in 1993 1 year after mk2 i never saw dark stalkers n arcade a few vf1s tons of ki1 cabs tekken 2 and 3 was everywhere i never saw a sf2 back then when alpha 1 came out

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
i was 5 when i first saw primal rage n arcade in 1996 it came out in 1993 1 year after mk2 i never saw dark stalkers n arcade a few vf1s tons of ki1 cabs tekken 2 and 3 was everywhere i never saw a sf2 back then when alpha 1 came out
My arcade that had all the mk2 at kinda started going downhill after mk2 and they did not get a tekken 2 or KI cab and another arcade opened in a much worse part of town. I went in hard on t2 though and have never been as scared to beat someone in a game as I was with t2 lol. I can't count how many times someone said "throw me again kid and see what happens" lol. Around that time was my first fight at a arcade....good fucking times.

My arcade that had all the mk2 at kinda started going downhill after mk2 and they did not get a tekken 2 or KI cab and another arcade opened in a much worse part of town. I went in hard on t2 though and have never been as scared to beat someone in a game as I was with t2 lol. I can't count how many times someone said "throw me again kid and see what happens" lol. Around that time was my first fight at a arcade....good fucking times.

damn thats funny i was 7 years old owning grown men with heihachi and id talk shit i beat this one big black guy and my dad was beside me and i said im good am i with a smile he said yeah and walked off lol

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
damn thats funny i was 7 years old owning grown men with heihachi and id talk shit i beat this one big black guy and my dad was beside me and i said im good am i with a smile he said yeah and walked off lol
Haha yeah I played paul so you know I got a lot shit with all the new moves he got in t2. Yeah my dad would come up sometimes and chill he used to drop me off when he do his shopping and shit and I would have tokens left. I don't know how it was in your area but god damn some straights g's loved some t2.

Haha yeah I played paul so you know I got a lot shit with all the new moves he got in t2. Yeah my dad would come up sometimes and chill he used to drop me off when he do his shopping and shit and I would have tokens left. I don't know how it was in your area but god damn some straights g's loved some t2.
t2 was dead but tekken 3 was massive always had people only seen a few who could really play everyone picked hwoarang or eddy and button mashed breaking the sticks n the process