What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang (Old) Liu Kang Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
lol another thing ppl might not know. when you meter burn his bicycle kicks he does a forward flip which is a overhead. good to catch ppl by doing late or right away from blocked bicycle kicks. if you do it off a raw bycicle kick the overhead extension is only -1 on block. if you are crazy and did flying kicks into ex bycicle kicks and ex again! to do the overhead flip kick. its +1
Balls emptied.

if you guys want to see some early match video of mi liu. let me know . ill dm you guys the link

Let me take a peek.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
its really good but nothing to be afraid off. liu kang does not have any overhead starters that he can get combos off of. the only one he has knocksdown.
his other one comes out in a 3 hit string as the last hit but first two hits are high.
Could've sworn I saw an overhead combo string in the reveal. Maybe it was something else. Getting knocked down won't be too much fun either though lmao.

Damn. At least I'll have so much MU exp that all you other Kang's will be lightwork. :DOGE

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Could've sworn I saw an overhead combo string in the reveal. Maybe it was something else. Getting knocked down won't be too much fun either though lmao.

Damn. At least I'll have so much MU exp that all you other Kang's will be lightwork. :DOGE
yeah 113 has a overhead ender that you can combo after from. but its easy to see coming as you can block the 11 then just stand block. only mix up you can throw in is low fireball but i wqouldnt recommend it cus it can be punished

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
yeah 113 has a overhead ender that you can combo after from. but its easy to see coming as you can block the 11 then just stand block. only mix up you can throw in is low fireball but i wqouldnt recommend it cus it can be punished
Ah ok I see. Also, how good are the dark orbs as a pressure tool?

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I am officially done reading and watching Liu Kang content until release. A lot of this stuff we are learning can drastically change with early patches, some bad things may even get good, some good things may get mediocre. Who knows.

The hype levels are just too much. Its time to unwind from these Liu Kang threads because I want to keep an open mind when I play day 1.

Cat

Warning, what's shown below isn't for the faint of heart.

From Cat

Weep.
lol the dirt.
in this game backdashes are very good because they have invulnerability on start up. so your opponent cant back dash after your ex bicycle kicks to avoid your pressure..... but of course if you make the read you can run and punish right away or flying kick them

Cat

I don't know how I feel about Liu having a possible vortex.

Yes, please.
its not your typical vortex.
the max damage you can get that ends with a restanding bicycle kick is 18%. so you lose a lot in order to get pressure that may lead to nothing if your opponent is smart
like i said before. he has no overhead starters that lead to damage so opponent just has to block low at first for his low kick starter and then just stand block.
since backdashes have invisibility on start up , your opponent can also back dash and avoid your pressure all together and maybe even punish your whiffed moves.

i been playing against one of our top sf players here Display Lag Fourwude. And hes been very good at handling liu kang. scorpion has some mad range on his sword normals to punish whiff stuff againt liu.

beep_ima_sheep

RIP Smoke
Was really impressed with Liu at his reveal and it's only gotten better.
In general, I just hope NRS doesn't make any changes to fighters early on. The game needs to settle first so we have time to figure out what things actually op, with no apparent solution.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
its not your typical vortex.
the max damage you can get that ends with a restanding bicycle kick is 18%. so you lose a lot in order to get pressure that may lead to nothing if your opponent is smart
like i said before. he has no overhead starters that lead to damage so opponent just has to block low at first for his low kick starter and then just stand block.
since backdashes have invisibility on start up , your opponent can also back dash and avoid your pressure all together and maybe even punish your whiffed moves.

i been playing against one of our top sf players here Display Lag Fourwude. And hes been very good at handling liu kang. scorpion has some mad range on his sword normals to punish whiff stuff againt liu.
Scorpions got mad footsies in MKX. Does Liu have the same stuff as he in did in MKK with his stagger string pressure? Does he have a string that works as a mixup between overhead or low fireballs?

Also, I'd love to get a look at the match footage.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Here I am trying to keep Liu Kang on the low and I wake up to see @Cat... a fellow Texan.... skyline the dude... fuuuck. :p

Keep in mind guys his frame data WILL change. Also there is no reason to stand block vs Liu Kang... He has a little dirt off of 113 but no vortex with BK :\