What's new

Ok so... the in-game store can literally display duplicate items during the same cycle.

Given the multitude of currencies in MK11, currency exchange should absolutely be a thing. I have thousands of hearts that will never be used. Why not allow me to trade a bunch of them for more time krystals or coins?
Even coins don't get ya much I've been getting augments from the shrine for 100k. Nothing in Krypt is really worth it. Time krystals are about the only useful currency. Would be nice to trade

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
You know, if NRS was smart they would just make everything available up front in skins and gear through time crystals... like a giant store. Their main replay value is the online multiplayer so it wouldn’t hurt that, and they could still have tons of exclusive stuff through krypt or ToT anyway.

I’m not saying I WANT to spend more money on this game than I already have, but... whispers(I would)whispers

You know, if NRS was smart they would just make everything available up front in skins and gear through time crystals... like a giant store. Their main replay value is the online multiplayer so it wouldn’t hurt that, and they could still have tons of exclusive stuff through krypt or ToT anyway.

I’m not saying I WANT to spend more money on this game than I already have, but... whispers(I would)whispers
See but here's the thing: nobody talks about it, but NRS is clearly running its franchises on a mobile-esque model where they make money for having you come back and log into the game frequently. What they've done with MK11's cosmetics system is exactly in line with what they did to MK Mobile a few months back, which is very similar to what was going on with Injustice 2 on both mobile and console. MK Mobile had, for like four years, every character and augment accessible in the store for set prices any time you wanted to pay them, OR you could buy a pack (basically a loot box) with only a chance of getting what you wanted but for a lower currency cost. But right before MK11 dropped, they changed it so that the in-game mobile store only has a rotating inventory of three random items per 24-hour cycle, and then they slotted in new rewards for challenge towers (essentially the mobile equivalent of ToT). So I don't know exactly what their strategy is, but this thing where we keep coming back to check the game frequently for randomly occurring access to what we want is a central part of it.

P.S., It sucks.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
See but here's the thing: nobody talks about it, but NRS is clearly running its franchises on a mobile-esque model where they make money for having you come back and log into the game frequently. What they've done with MK11's cosmetics system is exactly in line with what they did to MK Mobile a few months back, which is very similar to what was going on with Injustice 2 on both mobile and console. MK Mobile had, for like four years, every character and augment accessible in the store for set prices any time you wanted to pay them, OR you could buy a pack (basically a loot box) with only a chance of getting what you wanted but for a lower currency cost. But right before MK11 dropped, they changed it so that the in-game mobile store only has a rotating inventory of three random items per 24-hour cycle, and then they slotted in new rewards for challenge towers (essentially the mobile equivalent of ToT). So I don't know exactly what their strategy is, but this thing where we keep coming back to check the game frequently for randomly occurring access to what we want is a central part of it.

P.S., It sucks.
Oh gotcha. Yeah I didn’t know that about the mobile game. I only saw it when I linked to get Kronika.

I would have thought the loot chest thing where you’re guaranteed new shit would make more sense and be more profitable to them.

Oh gotcha. Yeah I didn’t know that about the mobile game. I only saw it when I linked to get Kronika.

I would have thought the loot chest thing where you’re guaranteed new shit would make more sense and be more profitable to them.
Same, but I think the backlash against loot boxes has been so strong recently (especially after what EA pulled) that studios are kind of afraid to go that route. But they're still seeing dollar signs from the mobile model and the examples of games like FortNight, so they're experimenting with how much the player base will let them get away with before backlash.