What's new

Officially Introducing SODWA

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey, TYM, it's been a minute! I've been lurking, but I don't post much anymore since I dropped MK11. However, dropping MK11 has given me the free time to devote to my other passion: developing an insane online 1v1 tile-based strategy game called SODWA. Behold!

Official website: https://sodwastudios.com/

SODWA is what you get when you combine the game mechanics of Final Fantasy Tactics, Heroclix, and X-Com with the fantasy worlds of Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, and other Saturday morning cartoons and franchises of the 80s. You get to build a team of colorful characters and pit them against the teams of your opponents. We'll be adding bots for single-player before too long, but right now it's just 1v1 against a human opponent.

Here is a screenshot of our very early debug build:

It's not the prettiest game right now, but we're mostly just focused on getting the game mechanics functioning. The big ugly "Switch Players" button is just for debugging. Right now we've got basic combat working, so characters get to take turns based on their Initiative attributes and can make ranged and melee attacks. The HP bars are numerical right now but will be graphical, like in League of Legends, before too long. Once we clean up basic combat a bit, we'll start implementing the cool special abilities, like Flight, Teleportation, Telekinesis, Force Fields, and all kinds of crazy stuff.

We'll be looking for game testers pretty soon. If you'd like to help us test the game, please join our official Discord channel. You can also find us on Reddit and view a lot of cool concept art and information on our gamedev.net project page.

Tagging @CrazyFingers because I know he was interested when I talked about it before. If you've got any questions or comments, feel free to comment on this post. Thanks for reading!

-Woody

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Check out the official gameplay mechanics at https://sodwastudios.com/game-mechanics/. Right now in our playable demo, we've got the turn system, movement, and attacking/defending all implemented. We're going to add in the terrain mechanics and tighten everything up a bit, and then it's on to developing the special abilities like flight, teleportation, telekinesis, freeze rays, and all kinds of crazy shit.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm reading through the game mechanics now. This sounds very interesting. Especially liking the Karma mechanic. Curious how all of this will translate into actual 1v1
Yeah, me too. The Karma System sounds cool in theory, but it could result in boring gameplay. Going to require a lot of testing to see what works. We'd like SODWA to be competitive, but it's tough to do that with a chance-based game.

Agilaz

It has begun
Yeah, me too. The Karma System sounds cool in theory, but it could result in boring gameplay. Going to require a lot of testing to see what works. We'd like SODWA to be competitive, but it's tough to do that with a chance-based game.
It has potential, it reminds me a bit of how you can spend luck in Call of Cthulhu to influence your rolls.

All in all this seems like a very ambitious project but the premise has me hooked.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I don't have any experience with HeroClix style games but enjoy the XCom series. I'll join the Discord and check out stuff though.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
And we've now got a fully-functioning combat system! We're stilling using ugly filler art and assets from the Unity Assets store, and the only animation is the characters' idle animation, but you can now play a full round of combat. I'll release a gameplay video as soon as we get some animations and effects added, which shouldn't take too long.

Positioning in SODWA is very important. Notice how Synapse, in the bottom left Character Panel, has an evasion of 60. This means he adds 60% to his Total Defense score if attacked from the front. So you'll want to maneuver to his side to lower it by half or behind him to negate it completely. Which means when Synapse finishes his turns, he needs to pay close attention to his positioning and what direction he is facing to prevent enemies from getting the drop on him.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The first map is coming along very nicely! We also finally have functional combat and character animations. The blue tiles are water models, which will be replaced with a much better looking water shader.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice job dude, looks cool. A lot more in depth than a lot of indie games I've seen out there.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
SODWA gameplay video incoming very soon, possibly today!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Where tf was I when you dropped this news??? Obviously NOT HERE WHERE I SHOULD BE!

I can't wait for that gameplay vid! I love Final Fantasy Tactics, so this sounds right up my alley!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Where tf was I when you dropped this news??? Obviously NOT HERE WHERE I SHOULD BE!

I can't wait for that gameplay vid! I love Final Fantasy Tactics, so this sounds right up my alley!
It's still a super early build put together on a shoestring budget, so don't expect anything too crazy. We don't even have special abilities functioning yet. Characters can take turns, move around the map, and attack and kill each other. We're mainly trying to get the game functional and are launching a Kickstarter the first week in February to raise money for the art, animations, and music.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Still working on that gameplay video. In the meantime, enjoy this 3d model for our flagship character, Faradox! We'll be offering a 12" statue of him as one of our high-end backer rewards on Kickstarter.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Still squashing a few final bugs before I can record the gameplay video, but I did get a countdown timer added to https://sodwastudios.com/! If you think the game looks cool, please please please help spread the word. We're in great need of "SODWA Evangelists" who can help get the word out about our impending Kickstarter launch. You can join our official Discord via https://discord.gg/tHdpXSc. Tweets, posts on Reddit and Facebook, or any other outreach you can think of is a significant help at this point.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

This. That second screenshot really reminded me FFT, which I also love. It's looking good so far.