What's new

General/Other - Kenjutsu Oct. 4th Kensjutsu Patch Changes Discussion

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Kenshi - Away+BP recovery reduced by 5 frames
  • Kenshi - Towards+BK is now +4 on block (up from +2)
  • Kenshi - BK, BK, FP, BP now does 7 damage (up from 5)
  • Kenshi - various combo damage scaling adjustments
  • Kenshi - Sword Dance & Blade-Nado no longer has armor
  • Kenshi - Blade-Nado is now +47 on hit (up from +42)
  • Kenshi - Sword Dance is now -7 on block (up from -12)
Variationless Kenshi might actually be a thing now :DOGE

But seriously, does this mean Sword Dance is safe on block now (if spaced)? I feel like that's an incredible change and I wonder how all the other universal changes will affect him (I know he loses the launching armor though).

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
But seriously, does this mean Sword Dance is safe on block now (if spaced)? I feel like that's an incredible change and I wonder how all the other universal changes will affect him (I know he loses the launching armor though).
Seems safe to me. Isn't there 1 extra frame needed for a frame-perfect punish? So even characters with 6-frame punishes shouldn't be able to punish it point-blank, much less when spaced.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I think Kenshi has definitely moved up the tier list in this new patch. Aside from the loss of armor, Possessed is still the same, run mechanic change buffs Balanced, and Kenjustu can still hit confirm B32 into ex tele lift and now has safeish 50/50's for a bar.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Seems safe to me. Isn't there 1 extra frame needed for a frame-perfect punish? So even characters with 6-frame punishes shouldn't be able to punish it point-blank, much less when spaced.
Not quite. Characters with 6 frame punishes will be able to punish

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Not quite. Characters with 6 frame punishes will be able to punish
I believe you have to add a frame for some stupid reason. Even if you don't, though, it has to be a frame-perfect punish.

Lokheit

Noob
The main thing about Kenjutsu that I want to know is if his meterless DB1 got better hit advantage/higher juggle. There are changes not documented on the patch notes and considering this is his meterless combo extender it shouldn't be so tight as it currently is to connect.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Apparently because of the lack of armor on DB1 now, Kenshi can easily be crossed up quite often.

Also I would suggest being careful in Brant's stream today. Something as small as a Typo can kind of set him off, even unintentionally.

Ex db1 was one of his main wake ups and anti-airs...this ones gonna hurt....moved up the list? Are you kidding me? I don't know how you play Kenshi but as an anti-air alone, this gone is gonna hurt. Away+bp reduced by 5 frames on recovery as well...how much more damage could they do? Even if sword dance is safe on block now, look what was traded for it.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
Ex db1 was one of his main wake ups and anti-airs...this ones gonna hurt....moved up the list? Are you kidding me? I don't know how you play Kenshi but as an anti-air alone, this gone is gonna hurt. Away+bp reduced by 5 frames on recovery as well...how much more damage could they do? Even if sword dance is safe on block now, look what was traded for it.
S1 and D2 are better anti airs now. Loss of armor on ex rising karma hurts Balanced, but not enough to kill it. It still gets the job done when it comes to zoning for certain matchups. Possessed is better than it was pre-patch, and loss of armor does hurt Kenjustu, but it gets safe 50/50's (B32 hit confirm and F2 ex db1). Ex db1 is technically punishable at -7, but it's a 1 frame punish.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
S1 and D2 are better anti airs now. Loss of armor on ex rising karma hurts Balanced, but not enough to kill it. It still gets the job done when it comes to zoning for certain matchups. Possessed is better than it was pre-patch, and loss of armor does hurt Kenjustu, but it gets safe 50/50's (B32 hit confirm and F2 ex db1). Ex db1 is technically punishable at -7, but it's a 1 frame punish.
Try telling that to Brant. He will probably ban you from his stream like he did me...

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. S1 and D2 better anti airs now? Can a D2 or S1 ultimately give me 40% or more damage depending on bars? Get the f*^k outa here...

Devils Britches

Pew Pew Pew
You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. S1 and D2 better anti airs now? Can a D2 or S1 ultimately give me 40% or more damage depending on bars? Get the f*^k outa here...
You probably can off of standing 1 honestly

S1 22mb 211 2+4 run 34 teleflurry 36%

Or

S1 22mb b1 rk 34 teleflurry 38%

Not having launching armor isn't a death sentence.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Right now Kenjutsu is sooooo jealous of the Balanced buffs (and I'm not even sure Balanced got enough of them). Balanced meterless rising karma grants combo on super easy mode and his meter burn one doesn't have the silly damage scale (plus gravity scale because potato multihits), this worked this way before the patch... now it's safer too while having a much better ranged game.

I know Kenjutsu has better mixups but... he's feeling like he lacks a lot in this meta to be honest. Not even a safe on block push (would change the 2 armor hits for it becoming safe to be honest).

You're at full range and your only option is the duckable attack that gets them closer at just +10... to close to keep them away, but right far enough so you can't push on their wakeup.

I mean, the buff the EXBladeNado was nice but the only thing it gives is a 43xx followup instead of a B2 for some extra damage (and you can't do 43bladenado after it anyway if you want the hit advantage).

Belial

Noob
So far possessed seems to be the strongest variation. Kenjutsu still suffers from his poor normals, not many buffs in that department for Kenshi. i6 jabs will still fullcombo punish you, so actually Kenjutsu seems like a counterpick to zoners, which he could rushdown/mixip, but sort of weak to offensive characters.

Devils Britches

Pew Pew Pew
So far possessed seems to be the strongest variation. Kenjutsu still suffers from his poor normals, not many buffs in that department for Kenshi. i6 jabs will still fullcombo punish you, so actually Kenjutsu seems like a counterpick to zoners, which he could rushdown/mixip, but sort of weak to offensive characters.
Why possessed over balanced?

S1 anti air into f32 ex db4 jp2 43 bf3 is 39%. How about you calm down before you start claiming I have no idea what I'm talking about?
You don't know what you're talking about...39% is it, is all...at minimum I was pulling 40%...S1...please...it was the wake up part people...what do we need a double wake up for? Specially Tele-push at that? Kenjitsu went from a killing machine to a piece of food stuck between another characters teeth. I've spent the last few days with him lab-ing and online...more countless hours...they've turned my thourough-breed into a donkey. You keep telling yourself he's just as good as before with your S1 and D2, which now is all we have to work with, less hit neutral right... Least these buffs helped out my CSZ...who would have thought

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
Wanted kenjutsu to recieve some well deserved buffs :( . Possessed is pretty strong though for certain match ups. I prefer it better than Balanced in this new patch.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
You don't know what you're talking about...39% is it, is all...at minimum I was pulling 40%...S1...please...it was the wake up part people...what do we need a double wake up for? Specially Tele-push at that? Kenjitsu went from a killing machine to a piece of food stuck between another characters teeth. I've spent the last few days with him lab-ing and online...more countless hours...they've turned my thourough-breed into a donkey. You keep telling yourself he's just as good as before with your S1 and D2, which now is all we have to work with, less hit neutral right... Least these buffs helped out my CSZ...who would have thought
You probably misunderstood me. When I said S1 and D2 are better anti airs, it's because of the changes to jump ins. Of course the armored anti airs we used to have were better. And I have never claimed Kenjutsu is just as good as before. Obviously, I'll take pre-patch Kenjutsu over current patch any day, but safe 50/50's for a bar in this variation isn't that bad.