• Not likely but might be fun

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I dont buy it

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters

Courante

Give all to another and save yourself
Take with grain of salt

It's fair to say that Marvel fans have been starved for a truly decent fighting game of late. 2017's Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite was, to put it mildly, not very good. Meanwhile, DC fans have been spoiled by the excellent Injustice games.

Mortal Kombat studio NetherRealm were given the keys to the DC universe back in 2013 for Injustice: Gods Among Us, a brutal fighting game that pitted the likes of Batman and Superman against each other and threw in a surprisingly deep story mode as an added bonus. Injustice 2 dropped a few years later in 2017, further putting Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite to shame with its rich well of content, fantastic gameplay, and another great single-player campaign.

Marvel fans have only been able to look on in envy at the DC brawler, but a new report suggests that NetherRealm might just be gearing up to give Spider-Man, Captain America, and the rest of the gang the Injustice treatment.

According to notable leaker and industry insider Daniel Richtman (via Stealth Optional), NetherRealm is developing a Marvel fighting game for next-gen consoles. Details are thin on the ground at this point, but Richtman claims the game is already in production.
If NetherRealm can do for Marvel what Injustice did for DC, fans should be in for a treat. I'm not sure the story would need to be quite as edgy as the one seen in Injustice, though. Those games get seriously dark. Marvel has always been a little lighter, no?

Courante

Give all to another and save yourself
Apparently it will be next gen only [PS5 , XBOX Series consoles]

For the record I still think Injustice 3 will be the next game, but if this leak was real than I would expect Injustice vs Marvel BEFORE the next MK

Revy

Retired - 1998-2020
Hmmm if it plays like more like Injustice 1 rather than Injustice 2 & MK11, it would be great.

Just give me The Punisher & Deathstroke.

Benlo

Noob
Really doubt.

Why would Disney let WB use Marvel characters and get money ?

(Lego games are an exception, WB bought TT games (studio of Lego games) before Disney bought Marvel, Disney had no choice because only TT is making Lego games)

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
I vote for: The Punisher, Dr. Doom, Colossus, Magneto, Venom and Deadpool

but I also vote for: KP3, 4 and 5 :D

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sounds like if anything it's more likely a Marvel game than a Marvel vs DC game.
I honestly don't think there's any way that Warner Bros. would produce a game from a competing comic/movie series without putting their own IP in it. If it's happening, it's for sure going to be Marvel and DC.

Plus, the sales factor would be so much bigger, with the first game (or really, first major media property) to combine both of those franchises. It'd be a huge media sensation and much bigger than either one of them alone.

I think it's the most logical thing they can do.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
I honestly don't think there's any way that Warner Bros. would produce a game from a competing comic/movie series without putting their own IP in it. If it's happening, it's for sure going to be Marvel and DC.

Plus, the sales factor would be so much bigger, with the first game (or really, first major media property) to combine both of those franchises. It'd be a huge media sensation and much bigger than either one of them alone.

I think it's the most logical thing they can do.

Fair point, I didn't think of it from WB pov. I guess I've never gotten the sense that Marvel has ever been interested in doing this kind of crossover with DC.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Fair point, I didn't think of it from WB pov. I guess I've never gotten the sense that Marvel has ever been interested in doing this kind of crossover with DC.
Yeah.. It's an interesting situation. If anything blocked it, it'd be Disney/Marvel saying that they weren't ok with having both sets of characters in the same universe.

But, if that was the case, they could have gone with the game studios under their umbrella. For them to greenlight Warner Bros. Interactive doing a game, whose parent company owns both DC Comics and Warner Bros pictures.. I just think that it's a unique kind of agreement — and the only way that it really makes sense is to do a blockbuster game with all the characters in it. And there's no way that game wouldn't be an absolute smash hit.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I don’t think it will be a marvel vs dc game, but a Marvel game is highly probable to me. Boon has hint marvel stuff in the past and I think Disney wants a successful Marvel fighting game. Seeing how NRS games sell very well, I think they would like to get the taste of MVCI out of there mouths

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Warner Bros. owns DC comics which is obviously the major competitor with Marvel comics, so I have to be skeptical unless this is the fabled Marvel vs DC game. But perhaps WB Games is looking at the success of stuff like the Square Avengers game and wants to be the one who profits on it

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I've kept a Marvel game in the back of my mind as a possibility ever since Boon said he spoke to Marvel himself. Marvel vs DC? Nah, but just a Marvel game is likely.

I'm game, just give me X-MEN AND FANTASTIC FOUR CHARACTERS :D I love the Avengers and Spider-Man side of things but I would like the whole spectrum.

That's it people, the rumour mill has started. Just a tad over the 2yr timeframe, but it's time to pack up your MK11's and wait for the new game.

As for Marvel or DC, i'm very meh about them. I'll give it whirl, but won't ever be as invested as any MK game.

CrimsonShadow's theory makes a lot of sense though.

I don't believe in these news, but... a Marvel game would be pretty much the only thing that I would consider looking at from them, after these 2 years of NRS basically ignoring MK11 unless it was time to sell some DLC.