What's new

NRS Reportedly Skipping Inj3 for MK12

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah

NetherRealm Studios could be prioritising a new Mortal Kombat game over its DC superhero series Injustice, due to uncertainty over its future with parent company WB Games.

That’s according to journalist Jeff Grubb, who cites sources in a new Giant Bomb video who suggested that the developer is currently working on Mortal Kombat 12.

“It lines up with the reality and it lines up with what I’ve heard, where Mortal Kombat 12 would make the most sense because that’s a game they know will make money, it will sell well… Mortal Kombat 11 was great, it’s doing well, but if you come out with Mortal Kombat 12 it will also sell and do well,” Grubb said.

“At the same time, you don’t have to use any of these Batman or Superman characters that might be tied up in licensing if you try to get rid of NetherRealm or sell it to whoever.”
Video is timestamped for when he starts talking about NRS

He doesn't cite direct sources, almost sounds like he's just guessing. To be honest I don't see why they'd go directly into MK12 when they could have just kept MK11 going with its huge install base and just add more DLC packs. Unless 12 will just be built off the frame of 11

I wouldn't cry. Between the atrocious balance, odd game feel, and fucking obnoxious mandatory cutscenes on common game play mechanics (yo what if breakers took 10 seconds and we always landed 10 second supers!), I've never loved injustice.

There's something good in there, but at this point they might as well just see if they can do a nostalgia mash and get all their guest DLC into one game. The classic violence is more in the wheelhouse and it's not like DC knows what the fuck to do with it's IP anyways. I'm sure a 80's-90's movie fighter would fucking print money.

Granted that still relies on WB being willing to play ball there so probably DOA as well. Oh well.

As someone who has no interest in the Injustice franchise, I'd be okay with this.

To be honest I don't see why they'd go directly into MK12 when they could have just kept MK11 going with its huge install base and just add more DLC packs. Unless 12 will just be built off the frame of 11
Assuming the above reasoning is true, it makes perfect sense, actually. A new game would generate significantly greater revenue over continued DLC for an existing game with an established player base.

Again, assuming the above is all true, it makes absolute sense why they went full-stop on Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate like they did.

Time will tell, of course.

I think it's because Injustice franchise doesn't sell as well as MK, it makes sense from a businessman's perspective. But that sucks, because I love watching and reading Injustice lores, stories and how they're inherited from the DC Comics

DeftMonk

Noob
I think he is trying to draw comparisons to marvel 3. They could no longer patch/support the game shortly after release due to licensing crap. If NRS future with wb is in question, they might not risk doing another dc game just yet.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
You won't hear any complaints from me if it's true.

I don't know how much faith I have in NRS to deliver a worthwhile MK product since I have not been a fan of MKX or MK11. That being said, perhaps working on back-to-back MK games will be better for production instead of alternating between franchises. I hope for the best.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow, this rumour is pretty crazy, indeed, since, we have got used with the typical NRS predictable cycle, what started with MK 9, and take turn with Injustice, one come after the other, so, if this happen to be true, just breaks the tradition so far, hehe :D

maybe the fanbase is prepared for this ? I really dunno ....

anyway, let's see if in the Game Awards, NRS just came up with some solid and real news about the next game, cannot wait for it ! :)

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Makes sense, if the future of NRS is up in the air because because WB is potentially selling them, it would make sense to have them make a MK game instead of a license they can’t profit off of, if they belong to Sony or MS in like a year.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
i have no problem with Injustice Series tbh, i am not a DC Universe fan, for that i haven't played any of them. i am a huge fan and a believer of Mortal Kombat Universe. NRS is already one of the biggest companies at the market but they can grow even more if they want to focus on Mortal Kombat more. How? imagine this;

• A new Mortal Kombat Fighting Game, divided in seasons, long supported by patches and new contents. More than 4 years at least.
  • An Action RPG or Open World title; give it an online mode with many new missions like GTA online.
Keep these two fresh and alive, feed them by patches and new contents. You gonna be big af NRS i promise.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I don't know how I feel about this. I loves MKX a lot more than both Injustice games (didn't really play MK9). However I think MK11 is dogshit. At least with an Injustice 3, assuming it's another legacy game, I know I would probably like it to an extent like I did the last 2 Injustice's, although not as much as MKX I'm sure. However I really don't want them to fuck up MK12 like they did 11 (for me)

Suntory

Suntory
I wouldn't cry. Between the atrocious balance, odd game feel, and fucking obnoxious mandatory cutscenes on common game play mechanics (yo what if breakers took 10 seconds and we always landed 10 second supers!), I've never loved injustice.

There's something good in there, but at this point they might as well just see if they can do a nostalgia mash and get all their guest DLC into one game. The classic violence is more in the wheelhouse and it's not like DC knows what the fuck to do with it's IP anyways. I'm sure a 80's-90's movie fighter would fucking print money.

Granted that still relies on WB being willing to play ball there so probably DOA as well. Oh well.
So glad I'm not alone in this lol
I dropped INJ1 after a few months and INJ2, I didn't even touch because I was bored after just watching it being played.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Apparently, the people that love Injustice don't come around here anymore is what I'm hearing. I definitely would not want to miss out on Injustice 3. I had my issues with 2, but overall it's still one of my favorite games.

Also, I just don't see this happening since work on these games doesn't start after they stop supporting the current main game. They've been working on whatever's next for a long time now, so they'd have needed to know they might get sold for years now. Otherwise, they'd have had to scrap everything they've already put into it.